Anyone lose 100lbs without hitting any plateau?

Options

Replies

• fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I never plateaued. If I stayed the same weight for a couple of weeks, eating 2000+ cals for a day would bring me out of it and I would start losing again (similar to a "refeed" I guess). I also keep my exercise routine fresh and varied which I believe helps.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Curious, I feel like one of the very lucky ones, before I started, I heard everyone eventually hits the plateau, so I was prepared to expect one on my 100 pound loss journey.

I had a few stalls, but they didn't last longer than a few days.

I lost 60 a couple years ago and never plateaued.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    133 pounds lost and I never plateaued. I had a few weeks with less weight loss, but my overall average for the 15 months I was in loss-mode was still right around 2 pounds a week.

Right now I'm in a perpetual plateau. I haven't lost any weight in 17 months. But that's because I'm eating at or around maintenance :) Funny how that works, isn't it.
  • healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've lost 92 and didn't plateau.... I did have a few times when I didn't lose any in a week... but in studying my diary, it was my own fault for over eating... Congrats to you and all of those above me on your success!!!
  • Risrisris
    Risrisris Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It got to the point where every time I saw the same number I thought I was going to lose my mind.

I can totally empathize with this.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    70 pounds gone and my only 6 week plateau drove me to MFP where I learned more and got myself back on track.

I discovered my plateau was because I was not eating enough most days to sustain my exercise and lifestyle routines. This would lead to overeating on weekends when I had more time on my hands. So I was not eating at a deficit over the week or month even.

Now I eat enough every day and rarely feel the need to splurge. If I do, its no big deal and I make up for it at another time.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've lost 92 and didn't plateau.... I did have a few times when I didn't lose any in a week... but in studying my diary, it was my own fault for over eating... Congrats to you and all of those above me on your success!!!

Funny thing for me, I didn't even go thur a full week without losing any, I got close, but amazing weight fell off only 1 day before my official weigh-in, I even had 1 major cheat day where I got drunk and consumed over 5,000 calories, sure it was a horrible week, I gained up to 7 pounds, before the scale dropped back to my inital weight, then even then, my official weigh-in came again, and too my surprise I had even lost a couple of pounds
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I lost 130 lbs from 3-2012 to 7-2013, I had to have a tummy tuck because of the fat that was lost in that area. The Dr told me ahead of time I probably wouldn't lose any weight for about a yr after the surgery. I have only lost 2 lbs since my surgery. It's very frustrating!! :grumble: I'm following the same eating patterns as before but the weight just isn't moving!! Any idea's?
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i dont believe in the mythical plateau.
    i just dont..
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    No, but I'v lost 65 pounds without hitting a plateau. :drinker:
  • krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that most plateaus are just periods wherein there is no consistent caloric deficit.

People overestimate output, underestimate input, forget to record things, make mistakes, or fail to keep records, etc., etc., etc.

Edited to add: Some people also weigh themselves infrequently and jump to the conclusion that they have plateaued when they are experiencing normal weight fluctuations. Weighing more frequently and keeping a trend line will help one to see any cyclical patterns in weight over the course of a week or month and to see the overall pattern of the weight (decreasing, increasing or maintaining).

I'm with ya. I've noticed weeks where I was at the lower end of my range one Sunday and the higher end the next. If I didn't weigh often I'd be freaking out thinking I gained two pounds.

Mind you, this may not work for everyone: if you're going to stress every time you see an increase and think you've gained 3 lbs of fat somehow overnight, it may not be the best method for you. But definitely something to try when you're stuck because a plateau may not really be a plateau.
  • ND_Figgzie
    ND_Figgzie Posts: 1,480
    Options
    our body could never make muscle faster than you were losing weight from what I understand.....maybe you burned more or ate less or both
  • ND_Figgzie
    Options
    75 pounds in 18 months...with one weight loss plateau.

HOWEVER...during the plateau, I still lost fat inches so I was down with it. I figured I was just gaining muscle faster than I was losing weight for about 5 weeks.

congrats on your weight loss.......losing fat and gaining muscle is hard to do at the same time unless you start out super heavy or are regaining lost muscle......I don't think your body can make muscle faster than you could lose weight.....maybe you tightened up your calories?
  • ND_Figgzie
    Options
    I have been doing this for 3 mo now and was doing really good and losing weight. but the last couple of weeks it just stopped and plateaued . any ideas?????

track EVERYTHING. weigh and measure your food and don't overestimate how many calories you are burning. Plateaus are simply periods of weight maintenance, no caloric deficit. Cut calories 250-300 and see what happens after a couple of weeks
  • ND_Figgzie
    Options
    I lost 130 lbs from 3-2012 to 7-2013, I had to have a tummy tuck because of the fat that was lost in that area. The Dr told me ahead of time I probably wouldn't lose any weight for about a yr after the surgery. I have only lost 2 lbs since my surgery. It's very frustrating!! :grumble: I'm following the same eating patterns as before but the weight just isn't moving!! Any idea's?

cut more calories either from diet, exercise or both. Im not sure how much weight you lose as a result of your tummy tuck but because you are lighter you're body doesn't require the same amount of calories as it did before.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    OK, what do you consider a plateau and how is it different from a "stall." We may be looking at an exercise in semantics. :tongue:
  • tinaty29
    Options
    Well, one of the biggest reasons i hear people plateau is because your body starts freaking out thinking u are starving, so it fights to keep the fat. So sometimes it is good to eat more, and more often, but mostly veggies and low fat stuff. Like snacking between meals but snack on veggies, protein, and fruit(but be careful with overdoing it with the fruit because of the sugar content). Try to pick fruits lower in sugar. :) And definitely excercise! :smile:
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    103 lbs gone since Feb 2013 no plateau yet, 42lbs to go so we'll see! But I find mixing up exercise helps alot or I assume that's what is doing it. I've been told over & over again I will hit a plateau but no signs in sight yet. Yes things have slowed down but still losing regardless.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal without hitting a plateau.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a plateau... I have stalled, eaten more, then lost again. It's a weird cycle.