What Not to Say to Runners

Options

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It's not so much a thing that is said, but the most annoying thing for me is during races the charity people that stand on corners and have two branded hollow metal tubes that they bang together. I know they're trying to be encouraging and motivational, but really I just want to take that tube and use it as a bludgeoning device.

In face, just the level of patronising going on from spectators. Perhaps I'm just an overly negative person, but someone going "yeah, you can do it!" at me really doesn't help.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "Have some more [random dessert] - you run and can afford it!"

So. Not. True.

This one drives me so nuts... or they say I deserve it after running that far... No. No I don't.
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    It's not so much a thing that is said, but the most annoying thing for me is during races the charity people that stand on corners and have two branded hollow metal tubes that they bang together. I know they're trying to be encouraging and motivational, but really I just want to take that tube and use it as a bludgeoning device.

In face, just the level of patronising going on from spectators. Perhaps I'm just an overly negative person, but someone going "yeah, you can do it!" at me really doesn't help.

Along the same lines "Lookin' good" when clearly I'm barely hanging on is so annoying... No I'm not. I look like **** b/c I'm dragging *kitten* here! Say something like "keep pushing" or "way to push on" instead of "looking good".
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    "How can you like running?"

"What are you running from?"

facepalm

One morning I was out before the sun came up and this little Jerry Garcia looking guy was delivering papers and when he saw me, he kind of shuffled his feet and said "What are you running from?" I just laughed because it was actually kind of funny!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've got this guy i work with who doesn't run but likes to look up my race times. When he saw my current HM pr (2:06) he said, "I could walk 13 miles in less time than that."

Yeah, SURE you could...what a dork!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    What about when people say in discussions of "proper exercise," "just look at runners-- they have no muscle definition!" or other such crap. Agh!!! Excuse me, runners do have muscle definition!!

I'm just starting to be a runner, but I love it. And it drives me crazy when people say that. ^
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hate it when people say... "you run so you can eat that..." or "you run and you eat that??"
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've got this guy i work with who doesn't run but likes to look up my race times. When he saw my current HM pr (2:06) he said, "I could walk 13 miles in less time than that."

That's when I would say "You can walk a mile in 10 minutes? Let's see it"

As annoying as it is, I think most people just don't realize what pace a long run is...after I finished my marathon, an older lady asked me "What was your time?" I said "A little less than 4 and a half hours" (I ran it in 4:26, which is a 10:11 pace), and she said "Oh...well at least you finished". I was SO mad...but I'm sure she just didn't realize that running 26.2 miles really adds up!
  • jenn26point2
    Options

As annoying as it is, I think most people just don't realize what pace a long run is...after I finished my marathon, an older lady asked me "What was your time?" I said "A little less than 4 and a half hours" (I ran it in 4:26, which is a 10:11 pace), and she said "Oh...well at least you finished". I was SO mad...but I'm sure she just didn't realize that running 26.2 miles really adds up!

it's almost like they expect us to do it at driving paces or something - like a marathon should only take us 26 minutes or something. Clearly (most) non-runners don't understand pacing and that our legs don't work as fast as a car... or bike or other mode of transportation.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    My fav is..."I tried running once and hated it"

Really?...don't you remember when you used to run as a kid - around the yard, the park...and just had sheer joy on your face? Its our adult brain that has turned running into 'work".
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My friend at work runs 6-8 maratons per year and her grandmother recently asked her if she was "still doing that jogging thing"
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines "Lookin' good" when clearly I'm barely hanging on is so annoying... No I'm not. I look like **** b/c I'm dragging *kitten* here! Say something like "keep pushing" or "way to push on" instead of "looking good".

I was at a marathon once where this woman spectator had a sign that said "DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP!"

I realize it's some kind of Navy motto but it's got to be the least inspirational sign for a runner ever. The worst part was that she showed up with the same sign at several different points along the course.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    My friend at work runs 6-8 maratons per year and her grandmother recently asked her if she was "still doing that jogging thing"

BOOM_JOGGING_Gray_FRONT.png
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I hear a bunch of these.

1 guy said "You run? You're too fat to run"
    I wanted to slug him

I also hear
    "Running is boring"
    "You couldn't pay me to run"
    "You're cute but i'm not running with you" (is that like a pre req to talk to a runner or something???)
    "You don't need to run to lose weight just eat better" (you assume I'm running to lose weight??)
    "I'd never spend that much on running shoes" (this from a women who owns at least 50 pairs of shoes *smh*)
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Whoa... guys... you are complaining about strangers who took time out of their day to give you words of encouragement? To me this is one of the best things about races. I appreciate that support more than I can articulate in words.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

"What are you running from?"

haha! I swear next time someone says this to me i'm gonna look at them all crazy eyed and yell "the zombies!! The zombies are coming!! OMG!! RUNNNNNNN!!"

LMAOOOOOOOOOO
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I had *no idea* how LONG a mile is until I started running. NO IDEA.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

If you don't want to kick him in the balls, I'd be willing to do it for you.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner (2 5Ks and a 10K this weekend) and I have said ALL of these things! When you don't run, you just don't get it. I don't sail and don't have clue what starboard is, why should non runners know how long a marathon is?

A 5K may not be a marathon, but tell that to my brain when I'm out running one. It may only be 3 miles, but it feels like forever. :noway:
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Jog. Jogging.