Hypoglycemia

Options
I have hypoglycemia and if I don't eat around every two to three hours my sugar will drop. Does anybody else have this problem and trying to loose weight? How do you keep your sugar up and stable while trying to loose weight? Thanks.

Replies

• hubb6364
    hubb6364 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too have hypoglycemia. I snack in between meals but I also try to keep all my macros intact. I have been logging for almost 10 mths now I have not had an episode every since I started.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I run into this problem now that I've lost weight. Basically, I try to make sure that I have good snacks available all the time. Even a couple walnuts is enough to bring the levels up enough. Something with complex carbs.
  • bologna111
    bologna111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also have hypoglycemia, although mine is reactive, so I feel fine until I eat for the first time if the day. I make sure I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Then I eat all of my calories during the morning and afternoon while my blood sugar is unstable. By around dinner time my sugars are stable again and I don't need to eat any more. I have lost 25 pounds this way.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I was having hypoglycemia episodes and I did testing with my dr and all came out normal - doctor told me nothing was wrong. I know my body and it was not right. I found Jay Robb who gave me a wealth of information. Your most likely doing what I was doing and eating the wrong kinds of foods to keep you stable. I started doing protein shakes in the morning and eating lean protein and big salads for lunch, I cut the sugary and processed foods. No crackers, no cereal, no processed breakfast bar. I didn't have the spikes and feel the need to eat in between and the heart palpitations and shakiness went away. And I started dropping weight and feeling more energy and was able to work out again. I don't know - maybe it wasn't medically considered hypoglycemia but all I know is that my doctor was no help and I think he would have let it go on until I was a true diabetic - then I'm sure he would have treated me.

I still eat Jay Robb style eating - for the most part, not quite as strict. I have only gained back about 20 lbs from when I lost it and that was because I started falling back into old habit and quit working out as much, and I'm sure menopausal has something to do with it. But i have never had the episodes come back again.
  • bologna111
    Options
    Yes reactive hypoglycemia does exist. Mine was diagnosed through blood test and glucose monitoring by my endocrinologist. The way he explained it to me is that in some one with reactive hypoglycemia the pancreas secrets too much insulin after eating and the blood sugar drops. I have seen my blood sugar as low as 46 after eating and excercise, I assure you that it is something to be concerned about!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    In the past, I have gotten hypoglycemia when I have eaten a simple carb (cake, candy, etc.) and then nothing else for a few hours. I would get shaky, feel lightheaded, rapid heartbeat, tunnel vision and have trouble concentrating. It didn't happen all the time, though. Eating would make me feel better almost immediately. I avoid eating simple carbs by themselves now, so it's not a problem for me.

Whether this is true hypoglycemia or not, I do not know. My dad, who is a fit runner, gets the same thing if he has a sugary snack or doesn't eat often enough, as did my grandmother.
  • daniellerigsby9
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I am not sure if mine is "true" hypoglycemia either however I do know that my symptoms are very real! I get shaky, feel like I am starving, and dizzy. I will look into the eating advice given.
  • bologna111
    Options
    I don't have articles but I do have blood test showing below normal glucose after a two hour glocose test, plus below normal a1c test. I'll ask my endo for articles next time I'm in.
    And i am at a healthy weight, 126 at 5' 6.5 so no crutch for me.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I am not sure if mine is "true" hypoglycemia either however I do know that my symptoms are very real! I get shaky, feel like I am starving, and dizzy. I will look into the eating advice given.

I pass out and have even had seizures bottoming-out. Diagnosed over and over again since I was 7years old.
    --It cal easily be controlled by eating well and often :happy:
    Keep snacks like nuts and granola bars around. Carbs and protein are your friends! Last episode when I was still transitioning to eating healthy.

• daniellerigsby9
    Options
    Yes reactive hypoglycemia does exist. Mine was diagnosed through blood test and glucose monitoring by my endocrinologist. The way he explained it to me is that in some one with reactive hypoglycemia the pancreas secrets too much insulin after eating and the blood sugar drops. I have seen my blood sugar as low as 46 after eating and excercise, I assure you that it is something to be concerned about!

I assure you that is NOT something to worry about.

You don't get into real problems unless it is less than 30 or so.

Glucose is needed by the brain to function.

People whose systems tolerated some sort of variance where the brain was compromised by the naturally low blood sugar would die off quickly before maturing to pass on the gene set.

Our glucose maintenance system has been fine-tuned over 600 million years.

So show me an article- ask your endocrinologist for some studies to prove otherwise.

Now, if you are of normal weight, do what you want and believe what you want.

If you are obese and using this hypoglycemia thing as a crutch to eat, then find another crutch.

You sir, are rude! I can assure you that I am NOT using this as a "crutch" to eat! I know how I feel when I don't eat enough and when my sugar gets low! Are you a doctor? If you aren't, I certainly wouldn't be giving people medical advice!
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    Well, I know for me that I have had symptoms that seem like hypoglycemia when I was normal weight, as does my dad, who is super fit. We were not looking for an excuse to overeat. There are just some people who probably have a harder crash after eating simple sugars. If anything, it's an excuse to avoid eating crap.

For someone to suggest that it's a crutch to keep eating is making a lot of assumptions....and you know what they say about people who make assumptions, right?
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    From University of Michigan School of Medicine:

Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar) in People Without Diabetes

Definition/Causes
    Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, is most common in people with diabetes. If you have already been diagnosed with diabetes and need more information about low blood sugar, see Type 1 Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes.

Your body uses hormones to keep your blood sugar in a normal range. But a long-term health problem that needs treatment can cause blood sugar to drop too low.

People with diabetes often deal with low blood sugar. It’s not as common in people who don't have diabetes, but it can happen. It could be caused by:

* Medicines such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (used to treat depression), quinine sulfate (used to treat malaria), and aspirin.
    * Drinking too much alcohol.
    * Diseases that affect the pancreas, liver, kidneys, adrenal glands, or other organs.
    * Metabolism problems that run in families.
    * Problems caused by stomach surgery.

Symptoms
    The symptoms of hypoglycemia may vary from episode to episode because low blood sugar can be mild, moderate, or severe. Increasingly severe symptoms appear as the blood sugar level falls.

In healthy people, fasting blood sugar levels are usually between 70 and 99 mg/dL.

Mild hypoglycemia

Symptoms of mild low blood sugar usually develop when blood sugar falls below 70 mg/dL and may include:

* Nausea.
    * Extreme hunger.
    * Feeling nervous or jittery.
    * Cold, clammy, wet skin and/or excessive sweating not caused by exercise.
    * A rapid heartbeat (tachycardia).
    * Numbness or tingling of the fingertips or lips.
    * Trembling.

Moderate hypoglycemia

If blood sugar continues to fall, the nervous system will be affected. Symptoms usually develop when the blood sugar falls below 55 mg/dL and may include:

* Mood changes, such as irritability, anxiety, restlessness, or anger.
    * Confusion, difficulty in thinking, or inability to concentrate.
    * Blurred vision, dizziness, or headache.
    * Weakness, lack of energy.
    * Poor coordination.
    * Difficulty walking or talking, such as staggering or slurred speech.
    * Fatigue, lethargy, or drowsiness.

Severe hypoglycemia

The symptoms of severe low blood sugar develop when blood sugar falls below 35-40 mg/dL and may include:

* Seizures or convulsions.
    * Loss of consciousness, coma.
    * Low body temperature (hypothermia).

Prolonged severe hypoglycemia can cause irreversible brain damage and heart problems, especially in people who already have coronary artery disease. If emergency medical treatment is not provided, severe hypoglycemia can be fatal.

Some medicines may mask symptoms of low blood sugar, including beta-blockers, which are often used to treat heart conditions and high blood pressure.
    Different people may develop symptoms of mild, moderate, or severe hypoglycemia at varying blood sugar levels. Although the blood sugar levels listed above are typical, they may not apply to everyone. If your blood sugar drops suddenly, you may develop symptoms even if your level is in the normal range.

A number of medical conditions can cause symptoms similar to those of hypoglycemia. Your doctor will use blood tests and other measures to make sure another condition isn't causing your symptoms.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ignore the troll ...
    I have also been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and I find that I have more episodes when Im not eating enough protein.. I certainly see a spike in my hypoglycemic incidents around holidays when Im allowing myself some treats.. too much sugar makes it worse...
    Balanced diet making sure you are getting enough protein and small meals throughout the day... Ive lost 15 pounds and am on maintenance...
  • K8w83
    K8w83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know - maybe it wasn't medically considered hypoglycemia but all I know is that my doctor was no help and I think he would have let it go on until I was a true diabetic - then I'm sure he would have treated me.

Just wanted to point out that hypo isn't a sign that you are developing diabetes. Diabetes is uncontrollably high blood sugar because you either produce no insulin due to pancreas failure (type 1 diabetes, which I have), your aren't producing enough insulin or it doesn't work properly (type 2 diabetes).

Type 1 diabetics experience hypoglycemia because they are injecting their own insulin (pancreas doesn't produce any) and sometimes judge it wrong. If you were experiencing hypo without being insulin dependant then you aren't developing diabetes.

On the point of being hypo, I tend to find that a mix of low and mid GI foods are the best way to keep blood sugar steady. If I eat too low GI then my insulin works before the sugar is in my system and I hypo before I level out. I know it feels rubbish, but being hypo isn't dangerous until you start dropping below about 45. Have you thought of buying a cheap BG meter to check if you really are dropping?
  • Hoggestabben
    Options
    Normal people do NOT get hypoglycemia.

All the cut and pasting in the world will not change that.

It is not a recognized medical diagnosis.

If there is any question, see your doctor.

And if he says you have a genetic condition that causes your "hypoglycemia", then get another doctor.

Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.

Show me a study or give me a reference.

If the glucose level in your blood is falling the bodys stress response will counteract that.

Stress symptoms = symptoms you see with mild hypoglycemia.

But as Steve says you'll not get real hypoglycemia unless you have to much insulin in your blood (insulin injection or a medical condition).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. I am trying to lose 50 lbs.

I have to eat every 2-3 hours. Sometimes every hour. It all depends on the day and what I eat.

I stay away from refined carbs as much as I can. No cookies, cakes, muffins, donuts, ice cream, popsicles, etc. I stick to complex carbs only… mainly sweet potatoes, brown rice, and whole grain bread. I eat lots of veggies. I can tolerate potatoes (some hypoglycemics can't though). Never eat carbs alone- ALWAYS eat them with protein. My dietician says to eat 30-45 g of carbs per meal and 15-30 g of carbs per snack. No more, no less.

Also, I take Metformin for my hypoglycemia and it helps my lows.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

I assure you that is NOT something to worry about.

You don't get into real problems unless it is less than 30 or so.

Glucose is needed by the brain to function.

People whose systems tolerated some sort of variance where the brain was compromised by the naturally low blood sugar would die off quickly before maturing to pass on the gene set.

Our glucose maintenance system has been fine-tuned over 600 million years.

So show me an article- ask your endocrinologist for some studies to prove otherwise.

Now, if you are of normal weight, do what you want and believe what you want.

If you are obese and using this hypoglycemia thing as a crutch to eat, then find another crutch.

OP, ignore anything this man has to say. I have seen other posts of his, and he has no idea what he is talking about. A blood sugar below 70 is considered low, and you will develop symptoms when your sugar gets that low. Some diabetics even have symptoms at a higher level. I've had patients of mine practically be in a coma with blood sugars in the 40's, so yeah. Just ignore him, as will I.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Normal people do NOT get hypoglycemia.

All the cut and pasting in the world will not change that.

It is not a recognized medical diagnosis.

If there is any question, see your doctor.

And if he says you have a genetic condition that causes your "hypoglycemia", then get another doctor.

Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.

Show me a study or give me a reference.

I'm sorry but you are the most arrogant person I've ever met. The only person who doesn't know what they are talking about is YOU. Hypoglycemia is absolutely 100% a medical condition recognized by many doctors. "Normal" people most certainly experience hypoglycemia. It's called FASTING hypoglycemia, when a person goes too long without eating. People experience this every day.
  • Kisame29
    Kisame29 Posts: 9,714 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused, why would you take metformin for hypoglycemia? Metformin actually lowers your blood sugar (which is why patients with type 2 diabetes take it), so wouldn't that be making the problem worse?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I'm a bit confused, why would you take metformin for hypoglycemia? Metformin actually lowers your blood sugar (which is why patients with type 2 diabetes take it), so wouldn't that be making the problem worse?

I have insulin resistance (my pancreas produces too much insulin). The insulin resistance is the reason I have reactive hypoglycemia. Metformin is primarily used to treat type 2 diabetes but it is also frequently used to treat insulin resistance. Metformin doesn't CAUSE low blood sugar. In my situation, it is correcting my insulin resistance which will ultimately treat my hypoglycemia. It prevents my insulin from spiking high after eating and then plummeting shortly after which causes the hypoglycemia.