Do Macro ratios matter???

Options
For my age and size, I have seen recommendations for a range of macros - depending on different proportional guidelines one follows:

For carbs, I have seen anywhere from 70-162g recommended
For protein, anywhere from 81-134g recommended
For fats, anywhere from 35-54g recommended

....depending on whether its a traditional guideline, or the IIFYM, or other.

I have been using the IIFYM, but am often over my carb limit - which seems pretty low. If I stay within my calorie guidelines, does it really matter on the proportions of Carb/Protein/Fat???

Looking for some collective wisdom on this....

I'm not a bodybuilder, lol.....

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Ratio's and proportions aren't important. But it is extremely important to get a sufficient amount protein, fat, and fiber. Beyond that, don't worry about what percentage of your calories comes from what.

Now what constitutes a sufficient amount of fat, protein, and fiber? That's a bit controversial. But if you want to minimize muscle loss while losing weight, you should aim for 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    0.8g per lb of body weight of protein per day

0.4g per lb of body weight of dietary fat per day

Fill remaining calories with carbs

Boom! You're done
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Controlling macros can be a good way to control calories. For example, it's very hard to feel like munching and down 200-300 calories of meat and vegetables (low carb), but frighteningly easy to do to with carby snacks. Also, it's much easier to limit calories eaten out with low carb, I can eat a big meal out and if I sub veggies for fries and do a bunless burger, I just cut 500-600 calories off the meal and yet got to eat all of it and feel satisfied.
  • FrankJ3rd
    FrankJ3rd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It helps to know that each gram of protein or carbohydrate contains 4 calories. Each gram of fat contains 9 calories.
  • TattooTwinset
    Options
    I watch my calories...kinda, but I definitely watch my Macros. I eat between 56-70% fat, right at or under 10% Carbs, and the remainder in protein. I have seen A LOT of success when I am really vigilant to the macros.
  • plumbean
    Options
    thanks for all the advice...I'm finding the 35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carb kind of hard to follow, everyday.

If I use the .8g/lb. body weight for protein and .4g/lb. body weight for fat suggestion - I get a proportion of about 31% protein, 36% fat and 32% carb.

I wonder if I use 1g/lb. body weight for protein and not worry about fat/carb ration whether that would be more sustainable? I guess it's a matter of feeling 'full enough' on the remaining carbs vs. fats....

I will play around with it and see, but is getting .4g/lb. body weight fats pretty important or is it a satiety thing?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice...I'm finding the 35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carb kind of hard to follow, everyday.

If I use the .8g/lb. body weight for protein and .4g/lb. body weight for fat suggestion - I get a proportion of about 31% protein, 36% fat and 32% carb.

I wonder if I use 1g/lb. body weight for protein and not worry about fat/carb ration whether that would be more sustainable? I guess it's a matter of feeling 'full enough' on the remaining carbs vs. fats....

I will play around with it and see, but is getting .4g/lb. body weight fats pretty important or is it a satiety thing?

Getting 0.4g/lb body weight in fats is important for your health. Dietary fat is responsible for hormone production, nutrient absorption, brain and organ function, as well as hair and skin health.
  • plumbean
    Options
    Thanks AJ....

BTW, all the replies have been really helpful - there seems to be a very knowledgable community here. So thanks!