Need help with healthier cocktails (alcoholic)

Options
So for a while I would just drink whiskey and diet soda. But the more I read the more I hear diet soda is just as bad when trying to lose weight (sometimes worse).

So what are some options/recipes for cocktails that are healthier.

I want to make sure they are still very flavorful and cover up the flavor of the alcohol.

I have heard of skinny margarita but just soda water and lime doesn't seem very satisfying?!

ANY GOOD RECIPES OUT THERE?

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't know about healthy, but here's my favourite (in a standard glass):
    - a shot of cheap brandy (good brandy is to be drunk neat)
    - a splash of lemon juice
    - fill it up with Diet Coke

If you want to avoid diet soda, use regular coke... You can also try vodka and mineral water or wine spritzers.
  • Happylybre
    Happylybre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love all of the Infused Flavorfull vodkas with a bit of Cold Water or tonic water..... Yummy :drinker:
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    Here are the ones someone suggested:

VANILLA VODKA + DIET GINGER ALE

WHITE WINE + CLUB SODA (spritzer)

GIN AND DIET TONIC WITH LIME JUICE

RUM + CLUB SODA + LIME + MINT (mojito)

TEQUILA, TRIPLE SEC, CLUB SODA, and LIME - skinny marg

MINUTE MAID TANGERINE LITE + CHAMPAGNE (mimosa)

VODKA + DIET GINGER ALE + LIME (Moscow mule)
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with diet soda unless you're one of the rare folks who is sensitive to aspartame. Just use diet soda!
  • ljones01
    ljones01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink Vodka, diet tonic & lime most of the time. But occasionally Deep Eddy Ruby Red Vodka with diet tonic, yummy!
    The Ruby Red is almost smooth enough to just drink it on ice.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You could always skip the alcohol and just request a club soda with lime...no one will question if you have a drink or not, they will just assume you do and then you don't have to worry about the calories at all.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options

I want to make sure they are still very flavorful and cover up the flavor of the alcohol.

Silly question...but then why drink?
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love wine spritzers, because they are lower calorie and inexpensive. Buy a white wine, some clubs soda, and the garnish. A few frozen berries (or freeze raspberries and mint leaves in an ice cube!) make a pretty, sweet spritzer. Muddle some ginger and rosemary for a nice slightly savoury one. Spritzers are versatile :)
  • daisyflame22
    daisyflame22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like vodka and water with a lemon and lime wedge squeezed in the drink. Very refreshing and light!
  • celiacgirl1
    celiacgirl1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good Scotch neat! With a large glass of water and lemon or lime.
    My crazy husband and our friend like good Rum with tonic and lime;)
    I was a bartender a long time ago and thought I'd seen it all...
    Your saying you don't like the taste of alcohol?
    Drink vodka with fruit juice or tomato juice, at least you can think you're getting some nutrition.
    Wine spritzers are good, too.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of alcohol! But I love me some prosecco - since it comes in a flute it is portion controlled, about 70 cals a glass. Soda water/club soda are zero cal mixers - add those to some flavored vodka and a bunch of limes. Or sweet tea vodka with water and lemon - tastes like iced tea.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with diet soda unless you're one of the rare folks who is sensitive to aspartame. Just use diet soda!

^^this I've gained,lost, re-gained, and re-lost about 750 lbs over the past 20 years all the while drinking almost nothing but diet pepsi. I gain or lose depending on how much food I am eating, the diet pepsi has nothing to do with it.

If you are willing to drink diet beverages then diet sprite/7-up is good mixed with either Bacardi Limon or Absolut Citron. If you still want to avoid diet beverages then I recommend something made with orange juice like a Fuzzy Navel, Tequila Sunrise, or even just a simple screwdriver. If OJ doesn't float your boat you could try a Bloody Mary or any of the various other "bloody" cocktails that are also made with tomato juice.
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    MG - the reason you drink is to catch a buzz. If I didn't catch a buzz I wouldn't drink at all. Do people really like the taste of booze - isn't that why you do a shot really quick - you don't sip it.

I know some people sip scotch or whiskey - I could never ever do that. Gross and too much bite/kick.

I read this about diet soda - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/10/diet-soda-health-problems/2507219/

I thought fruit juices have just as much sugar and calories as drinking a soda normally.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If you have the cash, invest in a turbo blender. We make awesome blended drinks from frozen fruit blended with ice, some alcohol, a little honey or agave, and whatever other mixins you like. You can also use it for smoothies, blended coffee, soups, and the usual blender stuff.
  • vsfitzpatrick
    Options

Food for thought; http://www.infowars.com/the-dangers-of-aspartame/

While it's great everyone is trying to be healthier and lose weight, it is important to not skip corners by replacing real food with lower calorie options filled with GMO's and harmful ingredients. :)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    MG - the reason you drink is to catch a buzz. If I didn't catch a buzz I wouldn't drink at all. Do people really like the taste of booze - isn't that why you do a shot really quick - you don't sip it.
    I can honestly say that I would drink some ciders, some beers and blackcurrant liqueur even if they didn't give me a buzz.

If you like whiskey (I hate it myself, but to each their own) how about whiskey sours going easy on the sugar or black irish coffee?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Healthier? Or lower calorie? Wine is probably the healthiest, from a nutritional standpoint. And really at about 110 calories per glass, it's not that high in calories for a cocktail.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options

I know some people sip scotch or whiskey - I could never ever do that. Gross and too much bite/kick.

Well that makes sense then. I do drink for the taste of the drink - not the buzz. I sip my bourbon or only have a beer or two.

As for healthy drinks killing the flavor then...I got nothing. All the drinks I know have mixers with way to much sugar in them.

I must say though - some of the suggestions here sound good!
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You could always skip the alcohol and just request a club soda with lime...no one will question if you have a drink or not, they will just assume you do and then you don't have to worry about the calories at all.

This is an excellent idea! :-)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I got to goal weight while drinking a lot of diet soda, so I think your basic premise is erroneous.