Got to my goal - but I think I messed up :(

Options
Hello
I've been doing mfp for 2 years & lost 50lbs yay! Problem is I did no excercise to get there. I know I messed up and I'm on the road to skinny fat! I'm 32 years old 5'2 female 120lbs which puts me right in the middle of a healthy weight range & I really don't want to lose any more. I want to keep the curves I have left & don't care if I get any smaller but my thighs and butt are so lumpy & jiggly!

I did the 30ds just to get moving but I know I need to start real strength training so I'm going to get a barbell with some weights to start at home. I'm just confused on how much I should eat now. I know you can't build on a deficit but I do have extra fat in those areas. Is lifting at maintenance totally pointless? Also do you think if I build some muscle I will look better even though there's fat on top?

Right now I'm on mfp recommendation of 1280 cal to lose 1/2 lb per week, eating back half of my excercise cals plus one day a week I'll eat 1800 - 1900. I've been losing the 1/2lb per week.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Replies

• 55romaine
    Options
    I think you should eat at maintenance calories but add extra protein for muscle gain and repair. You will look better with muscle gain leaner and more toned. I hope this helps.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi..seems like we are in the same skinny fat boat! I am 5'4 120...not quite to goal, but have not exercised much. (Started running in july and loved it. But have stopped this winter.) Looking into strength/resistance programs now. It sucks...feels like I am doing everything twice. :-/
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I know right! I just didn't know it would make that much of a difference. I assumed if I lost weight I would look awesome!
  • aqualeo1
    Options
    I think you should eat at maintenance calories but add extra protein for muscle gain and repair. You will look better with muscle gain leaner and more toned. I hope this helps.

That was my thinking. I just keep hearing people say that's basically a waste of time so I didn't know. I'm gonna try it and see. Thank you!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lifting at maintenance or even deficit is def not pointless. I have doubled my squat, deadlift, OHP and Rows weight while on a deficit and lifting. Just always make sure my meals and snacks are high in protein.
  • aqualeo1
    Options
    Thanks this is all good news! I really don't want to do a "bulk" since I 'm not that skinny to begin with. Plus what if I can't stop!
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will not bulk you up because of the lower levels of testosterone in your body as a woman. I never really cared for strength training but when I hit yet another plateau on my journey, I decided to give it a try. I love it! I can lift more than I did when I originally started and find myself setting goals to go even heavier. I've definitely toned up and notice an increase in all-around strength. But I won't lie: I'm still a cardio addict. ;o)

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I happen to be in the school of you can make good progress in maintenance while lifting...you can slowly add muscle while slowly losing fat. re-comp is slow though...it isn't happening in 30 days or 90 days or 6 months or whatever...you just have to start rocking it.

You may find that after some months of doing that, you will be more comfortable with the idea of upping your intake. You're going to have to learn to look at the scale a whole lot differently though.

Also, I encourage you to give this a good read...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • aqualeo1
    Options
    I happen to be in the school of you can make good progress in maintenance while lifting...you can slowly add muscle while slowly losing fat. re-comp is slow though...it isn't happening in 30 days or 90 days or 6 months or whatever...you just have to start rocking it.

You may find that after some months of doing that, you will be more comfortable with the idea of upping your intake. You're going to have to learn to look at the scale a whole lot differently though.

Also, I encourage you to give this a good read...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

That's a very inspirational story! I'm excited now!

Btw I'm not worried about getting bulky from muscles - I 've seen enough proof on here to believe that won't be the case. It's the eating at a surplus that scares me because it's taken me a long time to control my eating habits. I will start at maintainence with lots of protein & go from there.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i am in the similar boat as you! i reached my goal weight just dieting and now i wish i exercised too. im gonna stay at deficit cause i do have fatty areas, and am def gonna strength train. we can do this!
  • aqualeo1
    Options
    i am in the similar boat as you! i reached my goal weight just dieting and now i wish i exercised too. im gonna stay at deficit cause i do have fatty areas, and am def gonna strength train. we can do this!

If only we knew then what we know now! I was considering keeping a small deficit too but I do want to build at least some muscle. I keep lowering my goal and I never look any better.This is where it gets confusing for me as to what my goals actually are. Trial & error I guess...