Tips for the people that sit in an office chair all week

Options

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Secretary spread? Funny. Haven't heard that before.

I do these things:

-walk to other people's offices or cubicles
    -take the stairs whenever possible
    -get up and walk every hour
    -park the car in the lower parking lot where I have to both walk longer and take a steep flight of stairs to get to the building
    -occasionally do squats and lunges in the private shower room of the ladies restroom
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    take all your clothes off, and run up and down the halls as fast as you can.
    do a little jig on your desk too.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    All the suggestions to add a little movement.

One more- drink loads of water. Makes you have to pee all the time, so you'll be getting up and going to the bathroom a lot.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Every time I get up from my desk I take a walk around the building and walk up and down the stairs. I go the long way around the office and I park as far away from the door as I can get.

I also work out in the office gym M-F mornings for 1 hour.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a chair that has good back support and what's a secretary spread? That sounds yummy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not a secretary, but I'm the CFO.

- I take the parking spot furthest from my office building

- I work on the 3rd floor and always take the stairs.

- I get up at least once an hour to refill my water bottle and/or use the restroom; I take the stairs to the first floor to do these things rather than using the 3rd floor facilities.

- When I need to speak with someone I do not buzz them on the intercom or call their office/cubicle...I walk to wherever they are.

- I use my lunch break to go for a good walk (couple times per week), ride my bike (2x during the work week), and run the stairwell (1x weekly for 20 minutes and then I go for another 30 - 40 minute walk) and I just eat my lunch at my desk while I'm working.

- When I'm hitting the grocery store or whatever, I park as far away from the store as possible

- When I get home I try to keep on my feet for a couple of hours just cleaning, cooking, or fixing whatever needs fixing or otherwise playing with my kiddos. If I don't go to the gym after work I usually get home around 6:15 - 6:30 or so...I usually don't sit down until around 8:30 or so when I sit down with my wife for dinner.

- I get up earlyish and walk the dog for about 30 minutes in the morning before I start getting ready for the day.

I would also add that I hit the gym 2x weekly after work to weight train. I mentioned that I ride a couple of times during the work week, but I also attend an advanced spin class on Saturday mornings and have a long ride on Sunday mornings (gets progressively longer). During the summer, I throw some swimming into the mix.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you sit in an office chair 5 days per week what are some things you do to prevent the dreaded secretary spread ??

I hate it and know its a result of sitting on my butt for many years in an office....

There are lot's of physically fit people out there who work in an office all day. All you have to do is put a good work out in before, after or on your lunch hour. As for during work hours - I get up at least once an hour to move around.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Working in an office is not a handicap or an excuse to be unfit!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Working in an office is not a handicap or an excuse to be unfit!

Asking for advice seems the opposite of making an excuse. Solutions =/= excuse.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I put a mini-stationary bike under my desk. They are made to be used while sitting in a chair. It's not going to replace a full workout but it definitely keeps the circulation going. I use it to wake up, to loosen up my muscles, help manage my fibromyalgia, and for someone like me who is very heavy and trying to lose, it does help you lose when coupled with watching your diet.

I have one of these too. I also have a Yoga Ball that I sit on sometimes. It forces me to get up and down more because I can't 'roll' to the printer, etc. I am fortunate to work in a converted old house, so sometimes if no one is around I run the stairs. I also sometimes do push-ups against the counter or bath tub, or do some jumping jacks, when I go in there. (no on can walk in on me!) If no one is around I sometimes will go do some crunches on the conference room floor (only one with carpet) or planks or something. I try to go for a walk at lunch if the weather permits. I also found a workout on Nerdfitness.com - called the Angry Bird workout. Basically it is a bodyweight exercise you can do in short stints. Do lunges on break, then do squats on another, etc. You build up the number of reps.

Also - if you want to do some arm stuff and want to add weight - a ream of 20# paper weighs about 5#. Sometimes I do some arm curls or something. Also tricep dips off the office chair. It may not be a FULL BLOWN workout - but I figure that if I can get maybe an extra 100-200 calories throughout the day, it just helps increase the metabolism. Some people have told me that doing these mini-workouts aren't really doing me any good, but I can see more tone in my arms and legs and if it burns a few extra calories a day - how can it be bad???
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    "Secretary spread"? Is that a thing? lol I have been a secretary for 5 1/2 years and don't have anything like that. I stay active when I'm not working, and I also get up and move around a lot during the day.

Was thinking the same thing. Only spread I could think of was speading peanut butter

h23ABC564
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Standing work station? I was thinking about asking for one myself. What if I do want to sit down though? Doh!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am a frequent water person as well, i also go to the gym before work
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to prevent it. It's really hard if you typically gain weight in your hips and thighs (hourglass or pear shape). The best thing you could do these days is opt for a standing desk and not sit all day.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, try to get up as often as possible and move as much as possible throughout the day.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    In for the "secretary spread."
    maggie-gyllenhaal-secretary-8.jpg
  • MrsMetzler2013
    MrsMetzler2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the secretary spread but that is hilarious. I work on the fifth floor of my building and I take the stairs at least twice a day, plus have to walk 1-2 blocks to and from my car depending on my parking spot. I also workout first thing in the morning so I'm already energized, which helps me move more throughout the day. I can't blame my job for the weight I gained back.
  • brandiwells1
    brandiwells1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Set an online timer for every 45 min. get up and go for a 5 min walk.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Same as most other people. I walk about 5-10 minutes for my break, then 30 minutes on my lunch, and get up a few other times throughout the day. Eating at a deficit is most important for weight loss, so that's my main focus.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Also, having a "secretary's spread" does not mean you are unfit.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

What does it mean then?
  • bcattoes
    Options

What does it mean then?

It's a term coined many decades ago when women were first entering the workplace, usually as secretaries. It refers to the gain of fat in the bum and hip area from sitting all day.