Any teachers here? Struggling to find workout time

Options
2»

Replies

• tinkerbug83
    Options
    I'm also in my first year teaching and find it hard to fit in my workout. At this point it's broken down in parts of the day. I do yoga and about 10 minutes of cardio (jumping jacks, butt kicks, knee lifts, etc.) and then after the kids have lunch and go out for recess I squeeze in another 15 minutes (usually squats, push ups, crunches, etc.) in the classroom. Given that the weather has been so cold in Toronto, they've been inside a lot, so I've been doing a quick 15 minute workout as soon as I walk in the door and change clothes. This way I have the rest of my evening free to finish marking and prep for the next day.
  • TiffytVS
    TiffytVS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OP, being a first year teacher is especially hard because there's so much to learn and you could pretty much work 24 hours a day and never be done. I work in a helping profession as well, and I've learned that I need to make my own self-care a priority, if I'm going to be any good to anyone. So basically, don't feel bad if you need to do a little less at work in order to take care of your health.

And thank you to you and all the teachers on this thread who work insane hours for little pay in order to make a positive difference in others lives.
  • nicolabarratt267
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I would think teachers would have it made when it comes to working hours. Figure it out. Everyone else does.

Not remotely helpful... My contract states 8am-5pm.

As I said I'm a first year teacher and I haven't built up that bank of resources and lesson plans so I'm doing every single thing from scratch. I know I'll get there eventually. I've just started in a new school as well so still in the 'gotta impress the hell out of them' phase. I'm sure in time I'll have less and less work to bring home. I think my problem is that I create work for myself. For example, the other day I made some very visually appealing workbook name labels from scratch on Photoshop rather than just downloading some editable ones.

I went to the gym after work tonight, got there for around 5:40pm and worked out until about 7:15pm which I was pleased with. I'm really not a morning person so getting up at 4am couldn't be an option for me. I've recently ordered the Insanity fitness DVDs so I'm going to start doing a lot more at home.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I try and run 4 days a week. I do 2 days on the weekend when my schedule is a little more open. The 2 days that I do during the week are in the evening. I already get up at 4:30 and my husband leaves by 5 or 5:30 which means no morning run. I do workout in the evenings - as late as 7 or 7:30. My cooperating teacher would leave school and go straight to the gym. Hang in there - I have been teaching for 9 years and while the planning does get easier, I still find myself creating new lessons - I am always changing something.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband is a jr high teacher (math & science) and he's been fortunate in that his school was able to obtain a load of professional gym equipment for a good price. As soon as they're trained on it, he plans on using it.

He stays pretty active with his local wrestling committments, but other than that he doesn't move around much. He's the student council advisor for his school, and the SC director for the region and heads up the after-school tutoring program and the chess club.

You guys work your buns off and deserve the highest respect!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I just workout at home and do it as soon as I get home before I make excuses. I only workout about 30 min on weekdays though.
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not a teacher, but I work from 7:30am to 5pm. My commute is 1-1.5 hours, so I need to be out of the house by 6:30am (I wake up around 5:30-5:45) and I generally don't get home until 6:30pm because of rush hour traffic. I don't have kids to take care of, so it's easy for me to get home at 6:30, have a quick pre-workout snack, change for the gym, and get to the gym by 7. This means I'm not even starting dinner until after 8, but it's the only way I'm able to get myself to the gym.

Unless you have kids or another commitment, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get to the gym.
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a primary school teacher and hit the gym at 5.30 am, finish by 6.30 and at school by 7.30 ready for the day. I only do that twice a week though, because it takes a lot out of you.