Should I wear my Pulse when I run?

Options
I have the Withings Pulse and wear it all the time. Recently, I enabled negative entries on MFP to account for days when I am not as active. Usually I don't have much more than -100 negative calories or thereabout. But when I went on a run without my Pulse, MFP calculated a -900 calories after the run. Should I be wearing the Pulse on my runs? I currently use RunKeeper, which updates MFP. I'm confused at how the negative calories work.

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I like to have a pulse when I run....or any other time! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry, couldn't help myself. :happy: :tongue:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yes, it's designed as a heartrate monitor, isn't it? if you're a big guy, and new to running, those 900 cal burns could be accurate, depending on how far and how fast you go. and i understand that the more data they collect, the more accurate they become.

Yeah, I like to have a pulse when I run....or any other time! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry, couldn't help myself. :happy: :tongue:

that didn't even make sense.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Not designed as a HRM actually, but basically by not wearing it, it will assume you are just sitting on the couch that time period. Definitely wear it on your runs. I have taken off the 'negative adjustments' for mine because they don't really have it set up in a way that it works for tracking alternate exercise.
  • carrlosboyd
    carrlosboyd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think I will wear it tomorrow when I run to see what kind of results I get on MFP. My biggest concern is that I have RunKeeper synced with MFP. It updates MFP when I run automatically. I wonder what behavior the Pulse will have on my calorie count if I wear it while also using RunKeeper.

I'll post results tomorrow. I'll be using negative entries.
  • aliasbee
    Options
    The pulses use a positive calorie equation on top of the estimated daily use. Some other trackers like the fitbit use negative, which means they calculate your entire day of accrued calories and compare it to the mfp estimate, and if there is a negative difference the setting allows that.

"A negative adjustment means that your projected calorie burn for the day from the partner is below MyFitnessPal's initial estimate. If you are unable to sync your tracking device until late in the day, or if you don't consistently use your tracking device, you may prefer not to enable negative adjustments."

So with the pulse, it really gets confused if you enable the negative. I tried it and it was a bad move. At least that's my understanding of it.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

that didn't even make sense.

It makes total sense. You have to have a "pulse" [you know, like a heartbeat?] to survive, so you'd likely want to have one at all times!