Fat people can run

Options
I would like to put out there a bit of motivation for people looking to start running who are overweight.
I am overweight, 5'4'' and 190lbs. I started running about two years ago. I run slow like 5.0mph. My goal was to run a half marathon. In October I fell down my steps and had a really bad high ankle sprain, posterior tibial tendonitis and bursitis in both heels. I didn't run from October to January. In January I started back to running. On February 23rd, I ran the Disney Princess Half Marathon (13.1 miles) in 3 hours and 7 minutes (I had to stop to pee and lost time waiting about 5 minutes, not to mention weaving around all the walkers and picture takers).

I just want everyone to know, YOU CAN DO IT!

Replies

• IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I just wanted to say congratulations! Keep up the great work. ;)
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Great post. Congratulations on running the race.

I started running a bit over two years ago when I was 307 pounds. I ran my first HM seven months later when I was 245.

I'm still running - more now than ever. I'm still about the same weight I was when I ran that first one but am in so much better cardio health thanks to the running.

I'm training for my first marathon later this year and I expect I will be still me significantly overweight according to the BMI charts... probably at least 230 still.

Indeed... fat people can run!
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Great job :)
  • skyguy747
    skyguy747 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WooHoo! You rock! Keep on running!
  • newrhapsody33
    newrhapsody33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Sounds like you're an athlete now. :-) Thanks for encouraging others.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thats wonderful, and I'm sure you are enjoying your runs. I use to enjoy mine but father time and arthritis in the knees punished me for enjoying it so. I can barely power walk now but I still do it about twice a week. I am so jealous I have an 84 year old friend who still runs! rock on!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I don't have the lung capacity to run. 5 mph is more like a jog which I can do for about ... a minute! LOL.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Congrats!
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Well done you!! The only thing though, I would be careful about my knees and ankles while overweight, so much more weight carrying for these relatively small joints. That would be the only reason I would choose walking and swimming over running but there's no doubt overweight people can run and dance and be very flexible and etc etc.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    hell yeah they do !! CONGRATS !!! so far i've only done 5 & 10k's - i don't really have the desire to do a half marathon BUT the better i get at it the further i assume i will go
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your race, and keep on running.:drinker:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    good on you for getting out there and doing it!
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Awesome Work

but ****..if you think 5.0 is slow...then I'm like turtle slow..my jog is between 4 and 4.5 mph...oh well, I'm gonna keep on trying
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Awesome Work

but ****..if you think 5.0 is slow...then I'm like turtle slow..my jog is between 4 and 4.5 mph...oh well, I'm gonna keep on trying

4-4.5mph is awesome!!! Keep it up! Jog, to me, does equal a run. 5.0 is faster than my walking speed, therefore I am running. If 4-4.5 is faster than you walk, ,then you are running!!!
  • mecaseyrn
    Options
    hell yeah they do !! CONGRATS !!! so far i've only done 5 & 10k's - i don't really have the desire to do a half marathon BUT the better i get at it the further i assume i will go

I started with 5Ks and 10Ks, then I saw the Disney Princess Half. I thought to myself what a great goal to get to. It was a painful and very challenging but it was the fastest 3 hours of my life! Now, I have the desire to do more!!! Once you get to 10ks then you can do a half! Pace yourself and you will be successful!
  • mecaseyrn
    Options
    Great post. Congratulations on running the race.

I started running a bit over two years ago when I was 307 pounds. I ran my first HM seven months later when I was 245.

I'm still running - more now than ever. I'm still about the same weight I was when I ran that first one but am in so much better cardio health thanks to the running.

I'm training for my first marathon later this year and I expect I will be still me significantly overweight according to the BMI charts... probably at least 230 still.

Indeed... fat people can run!

Congrats on the training for your first full marathon!!!! I have not set that as a goal yet as I think the Half was just enough. However, I never hit a wall during the run and probably could have gone further if they would have let me. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!!!