Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fat people can run

I would like to put out there a bit of motivation for people looking to start running who are overweight.
I am overweight, 5'4'' and 190lbs. I started running about two years ago. I run slow like 5.0mph. My goal was to run a half marathon. In October I fell down my steps and had a really bad high ankle sprain, posterior tibial tendonitis and bursitis in both heels. I didn't run from October to January. In January I started back to running. On February 23rd, I ran the Disney Princess Half Marathon (13.1 miles) in 3 hours and 7 minutes (I had to stop to pee and lost time waiting about 5 minutes, not to mention weaving around all the walkers and picture takers).

I just want everyone to know, YOU CAN DO IT!

Replies

• I just wanted to say congratulations! Keep up the great work. ;)
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Great post. Congratulations on running the race.

I started running a bit over two years ago when I was 307 pounds. I ran my first HM seven months later when I was 245.

I'm still running - more now than ever. I'm still about the same weight I was when I ran that first one but am in so much better cardio health thanks to the running.

I'm training for my first marathon later this year and I expect I will be still me significantly overweight according to the BMI charts... probably at least 230 still.

Indeed... fat people can run!
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Great job :)
  • skyguy747
    skyguy747 Posts: 17 Member
    WooHoo! You rock! Keep on running!
  • newrhapsody33
    newrhapsody33 Posts: 8 Member
    Congrats! Sounds like you're an athlete now. :-) Thanks for encouraging others.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Thats wonderful, and I'm sure you are enjoying your runs. I use to enjoy mine but father time and arthritis in the knees punished me for enjoying it so. I can barely power walk now but I still do it about twice a week. I am so jealous I have an 84 year old friend who still runs! rock on!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Good for you! I don't have the lung capacity to run. 5 mph is more like a jog which I can do for about ... a minute! LOL.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    Nice work! Congrats!
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Absolutely! Well done you!! The only thing though, I would be careful about my knees and ankles while overweight, so much more weight carrying for these relatively small joints. That would be the only reason I would choose walking and swimming over running but there's no doubt overweight people can run and dance and be very flexible and etc etc.
  • hell yeah they do !! CONGRATS !!! so far i've only done 5 & 10k's - i don't really have the desire to do a half marathon BUT the better i get at it the further i assume i will go
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Congrats on your race, and keep on running.:drinker:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    good on you for getting out there and doing it!
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Awesome Work

but ****..if you think 5.0 is slow...then I'm like turtle slow..my jog is between 4 and 4.5 mph...oh well, I'm gonna keep on trying
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Awesome Work

but ****..if you think 5.0 is slow...then I'm like turtle slow..my jog is between 4 and 4.5 mph...oh well, I'm gonna keep on trying

4-4.5mph is awesome!!! Keep it up! Jog, to me, does equal a run. 5.0 is faster than my walking speed, therefore I am running. If 4-4.5 is faster than you walk, ,then you are running!!!
  • mecaseyrn
    hell yeah they do !! CONGRATS !!! so far i've only done 5 & 10k's - i don't really have the desire to do a half marathon BUT the better i get at it the further i assume i will go

I started with 5Ks and 10Ks, then I saw the Disney Princess Half. I thought to myself what a great goal to get to. It was a painful and very challenging but it was the fastest 3 hours of my life! Now, I have the desire to do more!!! Once you get to 10ks then you can do a half! Pace yourself and you will be successful!
  • mecaseyrn
    Great post. Congratulations on running the race.

I started running a bit over two years ago when I was 307 pounds. I ran my first HM seven months later when I was 245.

I'm still running - more now than ever. I'm still about the same weight I was when I ran that first one but am in so much better cardio health thanks to the running.

I'm training for my first marathon later this year and I expect I will be still me significantly overweight according to the BMI charts... probably at least 230 still.

Indeed... fat people can run!

Congrats on the training for your first full marathon!!!! I have not set that as a goal yet as I think the Half was just enough. However, I never hit a wall during the run and probably could have gone further if they would have let me. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!!!