Maybe just not together.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    What??... Yay! Yay all day long!
  • 1wskygrl
    1wskygrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any fruit or vegetable is ALWAYS going to be a smarter option than a processed snack. Bananas may be a little higher in natural sugar, but are a great source of potassium,and, they only average 90 cals each. Eggs are high protein, which is going to help keep you fuller longer. I would not leave either of these out of my diet. If you're worried about the cals, cut out a few of the yolks. They are where the higher fat content is, and 3 egg whites has great protein and is about 17 calories. I always keep boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick snack. Top with a little salsa, and YUM!
    Hope this helps :)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Bananas and whole eggs!

I eat bananas almost daily and whole eggs almost as often.

I am having no trouble shedding my unwanted weight, so long as i keep within my caloric intake.
    It's all good even cake!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Eat them both, however you want, with whatever you want as long as it fits your calorie and macro goals. Neither of them alone are "bad" unless the consumption of them is causing you to not hit your goals and that's more of a choice of how you fit them in, not the food itself.

Bananas get a bad rep because it's generally higher calorie (not necessarily a bad thing unless your goal is really restricted) and fairly high in sugar (natural sugars I must add) Sugar itself isn't as bad as people make out, for a start it's natural sugar as I mentioned, and honestly unless you have diabetes or eat huge amounts of processed foods with lots of added sugar I wouldn't worry one bit.

Also, egg yolk is yummy. I don't think I could ever give that up!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bananas are healthy and have very little fat. The nasty rumor that they are fattening is because they are highly insulinogenic... for some people that's a problem. But bananas contain a fair amount of potassium which is a needed electrolyte.

Now, eggs... if you take out the egg yolk, then you drastically cut the protein. There is cholesterol in them, but its a good cholesterol. So, if you have a high protein goal, you may want to keep the yolk. If you can get your protein elsewhere, but really want to cut cholesterol, then you might want to leave out the yolk.

Honestly, your dietary choices are up to you. Do some research on nutrition, decide on some nutrition goals, and then research foods that will help you obtain those nutrition goals.
  • 1wskygrl
    1wskygrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Actually, the highest protein content is in the egg white.
    One white has 3.6 grams protein, One yolk contains 2.7 grams protein.

A yolk contains 184mg cholesterol, as the white contains zero.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Some people say eat bananas they are healthy and some say don't they are fattening. Which one is it, I am trying to lose weight.

Also, I can't get a clear answer on egg whites or whole eggs. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I am trying to lose weight as well and eat both of them. Love the banana as it packs a nice 27g of carb punch which is needed when doing cardio 5-6 times per week. Eggs with spinach in the morning on a 1/2 a bagel is a nice start to the day as well.

I vote YAY on both items.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Look up Freelee the Banana Girl then tell me if bananas are fattening or not.

Please don't do this.

You can disagree with her lifestyle all you want but you can't deny that she looks amazing. :)
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have a banana every morning with my green smoothie or just eat a banana. I eat two scrambled eggs with yoke cooked with coconut oil...damn near every morning, Sunday's I switch it to oatmeal or toast.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Mix them together for a banana omelet "pancake" that seems to be all the rage these days

Mmm I had that for lunch today - 1 mashed very ripe banana, 2 whole eggs, a drop of vanilla extract, and a load of blueberries thrown in halfway through cooking. Dollop of 0% fat greek yoghurt on top and it was SO filling (and yummy!),
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Absolutely both! Bananas & eggs are my favorite things! I usually have a banana & PB2 everyday for breakfast. For awhile I was having scrambled eggs daily for lunch or dinner. I do 1 whole egg + a serving of egg whites for my scrambled eggs.

IIFYM!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every single day. If I don't have my banana, I am not happy. And I boil eggs by the half dozen and pretty much eat one of those nearly every day as well. I've been at my goal weight for almost a year and a half. Both foods are full of nutrients and satisfying.
  • mufamuscles
    Options
    Yay!
  • Csparrow2014
    Csparrow2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! This is why I love fitness pal, so that I can get answers to my questions. I will have bananas once in a while and I will mix 1 whole egg with egg whites to get more protein when I make my eggs. Thanks again!!!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of someone getting fat from eating too many bananas. :huh:

Too much food in general, sure, that'll make you gain weight. But you just don't hear about people saying "oh man I ate too many bananas over the holidays and for my birthday!"

"Look at that pig, I can't believe they ate two bananas"

"That naughty dessert is LOADED with BANANAS OMG"
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Some people say eat bananas they are healthy and some say don't they are fattening. Which one is it, I am trying to lose weight.

Also, I can't get a clear answer on egg whites or whole eggs. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Make a pancake from the eggs and put a banana in it. Delicious.

Seriously though, being a calorie surplus makes you fat. Specific foods do not.

TL;DR: Stop thinking of foods as "good" or "bad" and start evaluating your whole diet in terms of calorie surplus/deficit and macro-nutrient composition. Then you will be both wise and healthy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Actually, the highest protein content is in the egg white.
    One white has 3.6 grams protein, One yolk contains 2.7 grams protein.

A yolk contains 184mg cholesterol, as the white contains zero.

Considering there's no correlation between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol I'll go with the whole egg and get all the protein.

Tot the OP, I eat at least 1 banana per day and probably 4 to 6 whole eggs per week.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have both almost every day. The bananas especially for the potassium and they are a great pre-workout snack as the natural sugars in bananas supposedly convert to fuel and give you energy for the workout and burn up quickly. Just what I heard - I didn't research it and you know how reliable some of this stuff can be - like hearing egg yolks and bananas are bad for you if you want to lose wieght. I also find them very easy on my stomach so it doesn't cause issues eating that shortly before a workout.