12months in 32Ks lost and Stable

Options
South Aussie here
So heres my hopefully brief jourrney so far not to much detail you can ask questions if you want specifics basically just a big change in diet and exercise.

on the 20th of February last year approaching my 40th birthday in 4 days i was hitting a midlife crisis so to speak, i was 111Kgs (245lbs) roughly and about 40% body fat

38722420_2283.jpg
38722420_3492.jpg

a new Goodlife Healthclub had opened up just a 7 min walking distance from my home, was determined enough was enough and it's time for a change, i felt like crap anyway, constant chest pains, and depression didn't help i had also lost both of my 12 year old dogs the year before they were one of my few motivations to keep living.

I joined the gym on that day and here too within a day or two, and my first session was on the 22nd.

moving forward 2 weeks later, i was busting my *kitten* gong to the gym every day and walking every night i lost 3 Kg's in the first week, during the second week i finally got to see my complimentry trainer but during the induction and required fitness test he discovered my blood pressure and heart rate were way too high and refused to go any further or allow me to use the gym til i got a note from a doctor so off to the doctors and an eventual referal to a BP clinic for a 24hr monitor. The result of that was my Blood Pressure was at critical levels, approaching 220 during exercise which is 100 above the recommended normal and during rest periods i was still atleast 140 which is 20 over. and my heart rate was very erratic aswell.

Doctor put me on blood pressure medicine and i stayed on those for 6 months til the refill prescriptions ran out at which time i had a falling out with the doctor and told her to shove it and haven't taken any since but by that time i had lost over 20Kgs my Blood pressure had been well within healthly limits for over 2 months and has only spiked a few times since...

I continued on my busting my *kitten* at the gym too often and eating way too few calories. worked for getting rid of weight but i now have alot of pocket skin so be a warning to people trying to lose too fast.

in that whole 12 month period since i first joined the gym i've platued numerous times and gone through the what the hell do i have to do to keep losing.

and in conjunction with a Polar FT70 Heart Rate Monitor and a Fitbit Flex calculated my Daily Expendiature has been around 2600 for the past 6 months so i eat around that now and eat less on rest days and at maintenance or near on workout days, have upped my strength/resistance training considerably compared to the first 5 months that were pretty much all cardio or bike. I have been really trying to lose weight since november last year, if i lose anymore awesome if not it's all good, more trying to tone up and get rid of some of the excess skin, my ideal weight based on "norms" is only another 3Kgs anyway but my body fat seems to refuse to drop below 23% regardless of effort thats never been professionally tested tho so it may not be accurate.

my macro ratio that seems to work has always been 35/35/30 Carbs/Proteins/Fats tho i tend to eat lower then that in carbs/fats and eat abit more Protein using Whey Powder shakes 2-3 times a day.

Haven't touched Ice Coffee, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, KFC's, Potato Chips, Chocolate by the block load, Cordial, Soft Drinks in 12months. all of which i use to have hooked upto my veins for along time

Current status 370 days
41yrs old, 175cms
Waist around 97cm down from 120cms.
Hips i can fit easily into size 87cms down from 107's being too tight.

fluctuate between 78.4-80 Kgs. (32Kgs lost) body fat is stable at 23%, Vo2 rating is 60 which is fit compared to 20 i was to start with.
clothing size has gone from XX-XXXL being too small to now a medium/large is too big

Sorry nothing i can do about the skin color i don't tan other then the arms, legs and neck upwards and the butt ugliness is genetic:P.

38722420_7629.jpg
38722420_373.jpg

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You've come so far Paul and you are a true inspiration plus an awesome friend too. I'm going to show my guy this an hope he can see that if you can do it so can he.
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Way to go mate, keep up the good work.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    WOW!

That is incredible - well done!

:drinker:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    amazing transformation! Well done!
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    fantastic work!!
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    wow sir truly inspiring thank you so much for sharing :) great job
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Great work!!!! You're looking good!!!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    amazing transformation! Well done!

seems you deserve a standing ovation too with 47Kgs lost, amazing.
    as does everyone that has lost any weight and kept it off, just keep plugging away, i'd truly say i may be more pig headed when i have my mind set on something but if i can do it so can anyone else, i have some physical restrictions to deal with and some genetic issues that have plagued me all my life so you are not alone
  • Coetzee88
    Coetzee88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah baby you lookin goooooood :)
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Congratulations on your new physique!
    You've made wonderful progress in a mere 12 months!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Wow - what incredible progress! My jaw is on the floor! Well done to you - that's made my morning!
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What an Extraordinary achievement .... You have taken your life , your health and your destiny in your own hands and done wonders...You should be very proud of yourself!! I am in awe of your progress...:smile:
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wow - that is amazing progress! Great Work!
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    WOW - GREAT JOB!!
  • barias1743
    Options
    Paul, I have some friends in WA, Busselton. I'd like to share your story with them!! Stay True Blue.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanx people, it's been a rough week or 2, my 41st birthday was last monday i am on work leave this week and last week. the first weekend was all normal,

really early monday the 24th i had a dream about my sick grandmother she basically said goodbye an hour later i got a bad bout of IBS that lasted for almost 3 straight days, that after noon i got a phone call that my last grandparent had passed away, that night i stepped on an exposed carpet nail which pierced my foot and got slightly infected. Geesh what next.

I was still affected by the IBS til last thursday, and since the news of my grandmothers passing the family which is on my fathers side have been arguing over her belongings and funeral arrangements ofcourse i have to hear about it all.

Pulled a muscle in my thigh doing a steep bushwalk yesterday and The funeral is on thursday afternoon. So 2 weeks of annual leave have turned into so far 3 days of actual holidays and ontop of that i've gained a KG again lol which certainly doesn't seem to correlate with any water weight of caloric intake, just gonna put it down to muscle growth and body readjustment. Argggggg.....

so the whole 12month anniversary has been kind of ruined with alot of stress and misery hehe gotta laugh.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Chin up Paul. Put your best foot forward! Lol.

Like will chuck stuff at you now and then. You've been doing this long enough now that I can tell it won't put you down for long.

Congratulations on your success and dedication.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!