Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I want to start using a heart rate monitor, because I'm positive that both the machines at the gym and MFP way over estimate how many calories I'm burning.

Are there any good ones that don't cost $100?? Kinda bummed because I did not expect them to be so expensive. :ohwell:

Replies

• KrisBitz
    KrisBitz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a free app on my cell phone to track my steps/calories burned. It also tells you your speed and distance. Not exactly what you wanted, but maybe that could be useful? It was free but I upgraded for 99 cents to the Pro version!

It's called "runtastic Pedometer"...I have a Samsung Galaxy, so it's available for Androids. Not sure if IPhone too, but maybe?
    I really like it because it logs all your work outs and can link to your fitness pal! So it will add your workout for you.
  • rockey2
    Options
    I use a watch and got it at Target and it's pretty accurate compared to the heart monitor at the gym that hooks up to computers. I think I only paid 35-40 for it. There are varying prices depending on the model and capabilities but for starters it might not be a bad option for you. Only drawback is after each set I have to push the button to get my heart rate to monitor my calories burned accurately. But on the plus side, it has a stop watch for when I'm doing timed sets, alarm and the time. I too have the phone app, I think it's called Runkeeper and it's great for outdoor biking or jogging/walking. Whichever route you take, Best of luck!!!
  • PXMike
    PXMike Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'd like to know where you found one for only $100.00. The first one I bought was nearly $200.00 about ten years ago and the one I just bought was a touch over $500.00. One word of advice. Stay away from Polar products. Many gyms won't even recommend or carry them any longer because they are so unreliable and customer service is nonexistent. I had an FT80 which I loved when I first bought but it began having problems about 4 months into ownership and; thereafter, was nothing but trouble, and I could get no help at all from Polar. I heard the same comments from various other users and trainers.
  • Tee_geee
    Tee_geee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use the polar ft4! you can order them from amazon for about $65! and it is THE BOMB!!!! and it comes in all different colors!
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4. and I like it. It sync with the cardio machines at the gym so my heart rate shows on there as well. Sometimes the HRM says I burn more then the gym machine and some times it say i burn less then the gym machine says. Just depends on the activity. I pay $64.00 for mines. You can go to amazon I order mines off another site but same price.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I use the polar ft4! you can order them from amazon for about $65! and it is THE BOMB!!!! and it comes in all different colors!

Yup, mine is pink and was $59 on amazon!