Serious Diet Soda Addiction

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Dr Pepper - but I quit on Jan 1. I still have a cup of coffee every morning so I still get caffeine - but not nearly in the amount I was getting from soda. Personally I don't think it has benefited me in any way to quit but now that I have I've determined to continue. Was super hard on vacation last week - but only ever saw diet coke - I might have cracked if there was diet dr pepper.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!

If your only reason for wanting to quit diet soda is to lose weight then you have nothing to worry about.

Tons of people have lost far more weight than you hope to lose while drinking lots of diet soda
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I dont see a problem with diet soda, I drink 5 cans a day but I flush it out with 2L of water a day as well...I have still lost 40lbs...Workout+Calorie Deficite= Weightloss its that simple
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301556?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed&&

This is a study which links diet soda consumption with an increased consumption of snacks. That being said, those drinking the diet sodas were only consuming about 200 more calories per day. Really not that much, but in the long run it could make a difference.
    Soda in any form isn't healthy, but maintaining a calorie deficit is where the real weight loss comes from.

I started drinking a glass of water every time I wanted soda to help me cut back. I still drink some diet soda, but less than a can a day, maybe more if I'm at a restaurant.
  • smand2000
    Options
    Pellegrino / Trader Joe's Soda Water, squeeze and drop your choice of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit. Have also used cucumber, crushed blueberries, dash of vanilla (not at the same time). Elderberry is pretty sublime.

All the fizz, none of the problems. Tastes a little off at first (not the same cloying sweetness), but gets more refreshing as you go!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you traded in one addiction for another. Diet soda doesn't make you fat, but too much of it like anything else isn't good for your body.
    Have you tried addressing why you gravitate towards diet soda? Maybe speak to a professional?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    lol. seriously? so ****ing ridiculous.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Pellegrino / Trader Joe's Soda Water, squeeze and drop your choice of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit. Have also used cucumber, crushed blueberries, dash of vanilla (not at the same time). Elderberry is pretty sublime.

All the fizz, none of the problems. Tastes a little off at first (not the same cloying sweetness), but gets more refreshing as you go!

I support the suggestion about fizzy water with lemon or fruit flavourings. Perhaps you could alternate one can of diet soda with one bottle of fizzy water? If you find it difficult to go cold turkey due to rebounding, phasing it out like this might be more achievable. Good luck.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    SAME. i could drink a case of diet coke a day, easy.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey and be armed with lots of pain killer for the headaches and water for the nourishing!
    Good luck
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The relationship is that overweight people seem to drink diet sodas in greater numbers than those who are not overweight. This does not mean that diet soda causes someone to gain weight. Correlation does not equal causation, and many people have been able to lose weight while drinking diet sodas.

Just sayin'.

bazinga.
  • Jacobedward02
    Options
    Diet soda addiction is dangerous to health, it contains aspartame which is bad for health.
    Read this article: http://www.belmarrahealth.com/cancer/addicted-to-diet-soda-eu-food-safety-body-says-no-new-risk-from-aspertame/
  • skytoads
    Options
    One thing that worked for me was chewing mint gum nonstop for about three weeks. I personally hate the taste of mint mixed with my diet coke so whenever I had the urge I put a piece of gum in and I went through many many packs of gum during a 3 week period. I cold-turkeyed the soda from 6-7 drinks a day down to none using this method and I haven't had a drop in over 2 years. You might get some withdrawal symptoms but it is well worth it in the end! Best of luck :)
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try a healthier option like seltzer water or club soda.
  • Annierannine
    Options
    I switch for regular soda to diet and am able to lose weight, by sticking to a 1200 calorie diet a day. I think you're fine with the diet soda just remember to drink a lot of water.
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was the worst with Diet Coke. I drank 5 cans a day at least. To me there was nothing like getting a big glass full of ice and popping that baby open! But I was having some pretty bad acid reflux problems and thought I really have to stop this! But at the same time I was like ugh water! So I started tapering off the Coke with flavored waters like Crystal Light and different flavored home brewed iced teas. Now I prefer water because after a meal or between meals it helps me stave off hunger and helps me feel hydrated instead of the Coke which does have sodium in it. When I have a glass of coke here n there I can't finish it because it's just so sweet and I don't have the taste for it. So try replacing some of your cokes daily with flavored waters or tea then with water. It will help the process along. :)
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I was a serious Pepsi addict, but I was able to get myself down to one can a day. I just looked at it like 150 "empty" calories. Thats 150 calories of something else I could be eating. I quit cold turkey and yes, it was difficult for the first 4 or 5 days due to caffeine withdrawal. But now, the only thing I drink is water with a few slices of lemons and limes in it. I feel so much better getting off the carbonated drinks and my joints are thanking me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you traded in one addiction for another. Diet soda doesn't make you fat, but too much of it like anything else isn't good for your body.
    Have you tried addressing why you gravitate towards diet soda? Maybe speak to a professional?

IDEA Fitness member
    lol. seriously? so ****ing ridiculous.
    Right because addressing her issue as to why she's using something in excess will be assessed here by the experts on MFP. What's the worse that could happen? That she may identify an issue?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Diet soda addiction is dangerous to health, it contains aspartame which is bad for health.
    Read this article: http://www.belmarrahealth.com/cancer/addicted-to-diet-soda-eu-food-safety-body-says-no-new-risk-from-aspertame/
    Lol, maybe try using reading comprehension better. From the article:
    However, no federal health agency identifies aspartame (or any other artificial sweetener) as a health hazard. In fact, both the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) do not accept any of the research that has found negative health effects determined by aspartame consumption in the diet.

You just pwned yourself.

IDEA Fitness member
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301556?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed&&

This is a study which links diet soda consumption with an increased consumption of snacks. That being said, those drinking the diet sodas were only consuming about 200 more calories per day. Really not that much, but in the long run it could make a difference.
    Soda in any form isn't healthy, but maintaining a calorie deficit is where the real weight loss comes from.

I started drinking a glass of water every time I wanted soda to help me cut back. I still drink some diet soda, but less than a can a day, maybe more if I'm at a restaurant.
    Except for the populations that are not overweight and drink diet pop, or the population that is obese who also drink diet pop but are losing weight. I see the correlation, it's a clear as mud.
  • tenathequeena
    Options
    I am in counseling and on several anti-dep/anxiety/psychotic meds and mood stabilizers including lithium because I am bipolar Type B. I have an addictive personality (very black and white, no grey areas) which doesn't help either.