Hate cardio but love lifting weights

Options
I absolutely love lifting weights but hate cardio, is there any cardio that you like doing thats fun and motivating?

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    bumpin' uglies is fun.....
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with just lifting until you find a cardio you love. So many options including dancing, running biking, many sports etc.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sports, kettlebells, dance style aerobics, HIIT..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    HIIT or some plyo work is not bad ...

if you love lifting just lift and do cardio once a week that is pretty much what I do
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I use the rowing machine for a 10 minute warm-up before weights. After the weights I do 25 minutes on the step machine (works the backs of the legs) and 20 minutes on the bike (works the front of the legs). I don't especially like cardio but I am noticing its benefits.
  • Lemornhamilton
    Options
    Thanks guys for the suggestions x
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    HIIT will give you the cardio vascular strength that you need.

I would do it myself but I really like jogging. But since you specifically don't like cardio then HIIT is what you need. It's over quickly, it's not monotonous and I believe it's actually better at making your heart and lungs strong versus low intensity, long duration cardio.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the opposite issue, hopefully will change in the near future. I do enjoy music while on treadmill though
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cycling! Great cardio and class goes by fast!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I :heart: lifting AND running. In fact, lifting heavy has improved my race times! I think the most important thing is to choose a cardio activity that you like, because you're not gonna stick with it if it's boring or miserable. Try lots of things - maybe take some classes - until you find something you like. Or, just keep switching up your activities if you're the type to get bored by one thing.

The people suggesting HIIT are on the right track. It keeps you so focused and engaged, and with all the change-ups - you don't have time to get bored. I love long, steady runs on cross-country trails, but HIIT is the only way I can run on treadmill. It's sooo boring to do a straight run on a treadmill. Mentally I just can't do it.
  • trashme33
    Options
    If you are irl like you are in your pic you don't need cardio. Cardio is way over rated. At this point all you'd need to do is lift and eat healthy to look good. More muscle=more calories being burned.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you are irl like you are in your pic you don't need cardio. Cardio is way over rated. At this point all you'd need to do is lift and eat healthy to look good. More muscle=more calories being burned.

But what if she wants to do more than just "look good"?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

What about being healthy?? Cardio is not just about weight loss, in fact it is more about being healthy and living longer than weight loss. Cardio makes your heart stronger. It is basically the lifting exercise for your heart.
  • Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can relate - I hate the cardio machines and avoid them as much as possible. But I know it's good for me, so I mix in things like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, step ups, burpees, squat jumps, etc. into my weight routine for active rests. I also play tennis, ride my bike, roller blade, and jog with my dog. I have to have variety or else I go crazy. =)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I enjoy weights, too, but there honestly isn't any cardio I particularly enjoy. I don't MIND running... I can listen to music or watch television if I'm on a treadmill. But cardio that I actually look forward to...? Nope. Can't think of anything.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Here are a few suggestions:
    1) Circuit training with weights.
    2) 8x8 training. Pick 1 exercise for a bodypart and do 8 sets of 8 reps but only rest 15-30 sec between sets.
    3) complexes load up a a barbell or use a pair of dumbbells and do 4-8 exercises in a row without putting the barbell or dumbbells down. They should be easily transitioned movements. Do 10-15 reps and do 3-5 complexes and rest 60-90 sec between complexes. Here is an example.
    Straight legged deadlifts to barbell rows to upright rows to overhead press and finish with squats.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Add plyometrics to your weight lifting. Sprints. To increase your aerobic workout reduce your time between sets. Do HIIT circuits.

Straight cardio isn't really necessary but if you insist....

I like skiing (and yes when done right its a cardio workout). Hiking, horseback riding, zumba.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    im the same way. now that im in comp prep i have to do HIIT 3times a week. the first day was so lame but now it goes by super fast. i do it on the stairmaster. also, i downloaded some new tunes so im excited to do HIIT cause i get to listen to new music
  • AidaLott
    AidaLott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At 60, I do not enjoy any cardio exercise except my daily 2-3 mile walks outdoors. This used to be enough in conjunction with a healthy eating plan to help me lose weight or keep my weight down. But a few years ago when no amount of walking and dieting was helping anymore, I found out I had hypothyroidism. It took over 2 years to get my test results back into the normal range with medication (Levothyroxine/Synthroid). At that point I started doing more and more walking, cutting my calories even more, and still the weight wouldn't budge.

Finally, I joined the local gym and started working out on the machines 4 days a week. I only get on the treadmill for 10 minutes to warm up and get my heart rate up to 140. I go the gym in the morning and spend about an hour altogether. I still walk almost every day at least 2 miles and up to 3-4 miles on the days I don't go to the gym. The weight is finally starting to come off, and I'm confident that it's fat loss-not just water, and I am building lean muscle mass rather than losing it with drastic diet plans and exhausting cardio workouts.

I'm also going to invest in an adult tricycle as a reward when I get down near my goal weight. They are so cool, and many of my neighbors use them to visit each other and ride together within our village. They feel much safer on trikes than 2 wheelers.

Hey, whatever exercise we enjoy and get results from is great. Anything beats a sedentary lifestyle sitting on the sofa all day getting progressively fatter and unhealthier as we age.

Well, now it's time for my egg white protein shake with berries and half of a banana. I wish you the best in figuring out what is most beneficial for your individual needs, lifestyle, age, gender, health status, and genetics. Please be sure to go for routine physicals and blood tests. Always engage the advice and support of your doctor and other health care professionals. No one should be an island when it comes to improving and maintaining good health---especially as we grow younger. :wink:
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't love cardio, but I love weights. I do enjoy running and zumba, though it is harder for me to just go do them then it is to go do weights - I have to kind of talk myself into it, though I love it once I'm doing it.