Tips for fighting mental hunger

Options
2»

Replies

• Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good replies! I still want those goldfish crackers, but I'm eating gum! Will probably chew the entire 20sticks tho :) I'm gonna have to buy a case at Costco this weekend.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Sometimes I just have to leave, walk outside, do some sort of activity. If not that then leave for a room farther from the kitchen and stay occupied. It sucks I know, almost like a junk food an addiction. :tongue:
    Gum has saved my life recentally. Sugar free gum in a variety of flavors. Right now I like the kind that tastes like key lime pie. Sometimes we just have to be hard on ourselves and say "NO!" to our bodies. Eventually I think the cravings will die down.

Good luck!
  • plainpam
    plainpam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do this also in the evenings, I chew Extra sugar free dessert gums, strawberry shortcake, key lime pie, chocolate chip mint, all good , good luck.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a sign in my kitchen that says, "If I am not hungry, what I need is not in here". I have three choices when I think about food and I'm not hungry. Each comes with consequences.
    1. I can eat anyway.
    Consequence: If I eat when I am not hungry my body has no choice but to store that food for later.
    2. I can distract myself by taking a walk, reading, whatever.
    Consequence: What ever is making me want to eat when I am not hungry will still be there later to bug me again.
    3. I can figure out why I want to eat when I am not hungry and deal with that need.
    Consequence: I will know myself better and know what to do the next time it pops up.

There is no "right" answer as far as I am concerned. It depends on what is happening in the moment which tool I choose to use. Sometimes the best answer can be to eat anyway. Sometimes the best answer is to figure it out and deal with it. If I remind myself each time that I have a choice it makes it all easier. If I judge myself less I make healthier choices over-all. :)
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with mental hunger also. Usually I will either chew some mint gum or make some hot tea. This seems to help me, or I try to get involved in an activity to get my mind off of it,
  • Christiandtroy
    Options
    I have struggled with this as well and have tried the Mentos sugar free mints (cant do gum), I will try the tea as well. boardum is my enemy and thats when I struggle, same symptoms as the others, obsessing, as I eat guilt usually keeps it in check. Stepping on the scale is the reality check, lack of downward movement. I also find that it is cyclic this week is worse than last it is like weathering the storm.

I have found Arctic Zero 36 calories for 1/2 cup of almost Ice Cream. it is giving in with out the guilt or calories
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic! I struggle with this, as well.

A trick I learned here a while ago was to think of some celery sticks. If I am hungry enough to eat those, then I am actually hungry. If not, it's mental. Sometimes recognizing that it's truly mental makes the cravings go away. It's like the villian in the cartoons, as soon as it's figured out, it slinks away.

If the craving won't go away, sometimes things I do in advance helps. I break down those crunchy, savory snacks that I love so much into half ounce bags. That way, if the craving hits and I can't stop it, the worst I've done is eat about 70 calories. Plus, the shame of grabbing a second bag usually stops me. That helps me minimize the damage when I just can't let go of the craving.

Edited for spelling.