should morbidly obese children be taken from parents?

Options

Replies

• cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What i do think should be done is that the parents should have to take a class on what feeding their child like that is doing to them, and then if they still choose to feed their child like that, knowing the harm they are doing then I can see why the child would need to be taken away. Though in all honesty, the foster system isn't much better. It's over crowded, underfunded and the children tend to be mistreated in other ways than overfeeding. Finding a good foster home is almost like winning the lottery.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    We have already seen, just this week, that obesity in children under the age of 5 has declined in the past decade by 43%.
    People are aware and it is improving. Leave parenting to the parents, most love their children and want what is best for them. Taking them out of the home is not the solution. And who decides where they go? Where is the guarantee that it will be a better situation and that they will be able lose weight and be better off than they were with their families?

Tongue in cheek, perhaps there should be classes that have to be completed before you can even become a parent.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If the parents are beating them, yes.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm confused...

Are you saying that the kids should be taken away? Or that the system should teach the parents about nutrition?
    [/quote]

Nah, in summary it's wrong to take them away from parents but there is a weighted (no pun) responsibility on the part of the parent and in some part the government in at least changing attitudes to education. Particularly when there are children in the UK that literally don't know what a carrot looks like.

I would go so far as to say it isn't the system's fault but that parents will often point the finger at the faceless government here (I can't speak for countries outside of the UK). However, there could be better education which could be promoted through the system during formative years to offset or at least make an individual think about what they are eating and what alternative options there are.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No, foster homes and the CPS system are already overloaded here in the US. Also in before the lock.

Right! Like the state could do a better job? Better for a kid to be overweight than to be missing or dead in the streets. The state should only intervene for abuse or neglect.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I'm confused...

Are you saying that the kids should be taken away? Or that the system should teach the parents about nutrition?

Nah, in summary it's wrong to take them away from parents but there is a weighted (no pun) responsibility on the part of the parent and in some part the government in at least changing attitudes to education. Particularly when there are children in the UK that literally don't know what a carrot looks like.

I would go so far as to say it isn't the system's fault but that parents will often point the finger at the faceless government here (I can't speak for countries outside of the UK). However, there could be better education which could be promoted through the system during formative years to offset or at least make an individual think about what they are eating and what alternative options there are.

Oh I see your point. You're saying that the parents of these kids really can't blame the system. But that education should be the first directive of the system and taking the kids away a last resort.

At least, I hope that was what you meant.
  • mruntidy
    Options

I'm confused...

Oh I see your point. You're saying that the parents of these kids really can't blame the system. But that education should be the first directive of the system and taking the kids away a last resort.

Yes, pretty much - see you're clearly an expert you cut the waffle out of my post that saved at least 200 calories :wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I'm confused...

Yes, pretty much - see you're clearly an expert you cut the waffle out of my post that saved at least 200 calories :wink:

:laugh:
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Whilst I do not agree with children being taken from their parents I did read the article and have found the following extract pretty shocking:

"Incredibly, in the last three years, 183 youngsters – all aged 11 or under – were found to tip the scales at 16 stone-plus. Eight weighed more than 20 stone, with the heaviest at 23st 2lb."

For an 11 year old to be over 20 stone has surely got to be seen as abusive, our schools generally provide healthy foods and assuming the weight problem is not a medical I cant see where else an 11 year would be able to access such fattening foods other than from home.

I work in the care industry in the UK, with older people rather than children. I do understand that Social Services are pretty fair and do not take extreme actions such as removal of children from their families without looking at all angles and without trying to re-educate the parents. Social Services take on a multidisciplinary approach and involve other professionals and advocates, whist I do not know about the individual cases I should think Doctors, Dieticians and other professionals would have been involved and it would not have been a decision taken lightly. A scary outcome for all though!!
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I read a similar article to this that said one of the children that had been removed was 23st 2lb (324lb) and was under 11. This in my mind is cruelty. The parent can't blame poverty or anyone but themselves. If a child is a bit podgy then I see no problem, but for an 11 year old to get to 324lb, the parents have gone seriously wrong by providing ridiculous amounts of food for the child to gorge on.

Although I agree taking children away from parents should be the last resort, I do believe that this particular child will be in a healthier environment away from his parents.

Knowing the UK system, they will have monitored these kids for some time, they often leave kids with their parents for too long.

I know my post may be controversial, but it's my opinion!
  • mruntidy
    Options
    I blame Greggs, their sausage rolls are amazing

That said, I am put off by the article in that it doesn't take into account both extremes i.e. that of grossly underweight children either
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    No!!! You guys are dreaming if you think children are better off in state-run foster homes. So many kids get abused and molested in those type of situations.

I think it would make a lot more sense to spend that money on providing health and nutrition counseling to families. Food addiction is a generational issue and a lot of parents hand it down without even realizing it's a problem.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I worked in the group home system and worked with kids on Foster home.. Trust me, they are better off with their parents if the worst of their problems are being over fed or not being taught proper nutrition - that's something that can be taught, and their weight is something that can be fixed or changed, but to strip them from their family and put them with strangers that may or may not abuse and mistreat them is just wrong. There are better ways.

^^^ THIS!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily
    But maybe some counseling for all
    I never want to see kids taken from their families unless the situation can't be helped

I agree with this comment here. I do not believe that taking kids away from their families is emotionally healthy. of course no one wants to see a morbidly obese child and that is why those parents need to be given nutrition and health classes to better educate them on how to properly care for their children. Also some,yes I realize a very small percent have conditions that cause them to gain weight and or like my son whose 7 going 8 and has trouble gaining weight. I don't starve my children in any means he just has a high metabolism. so without knowing each individual's medical record and their daily lifestyle it would be hard to give a straight black and white answer on this. i think it should be case to case and give the parents a chance to change their bad behaviors before taking a child away from their family. my opinion only.:smile:
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I worked in the group home system and worked with kids on Foster home.. Trust me, they are better off with their parents if the worst of their problems are being over fed or not being taught proper nutrition - that's something that can be taught, and their weight is something that can be fixed or changed, but to strip them from their family and put them with strangers that may or may not abuse and mistreat them is just wrong. There are better ways.

^^^ THIS!

Well said! :)
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In many cases, parents don't know proper nutrition either. And people on fixed incomes often limited options in grocery shopping. And it isn't safe to play outside anymore. A whole lot of things work against kids anymore. But to start taking away children because of fat just opens the doors for being able to take kids away for any little reason whatsoever. "I'm sorry, your child's scores dropped this term. If they don't go up next term we will take your child away." I think it sets a bad precident.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I think you should make a new thread about pull ups.:happy:

I thought you meant the ones my son used while potty training!:laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I blame Greggs, their sausage rolls are amazing

That said, I am put off by the article in that it doesn't take into account both extremes i.e. that of grossly underweight children either

Honestly, grossly underweight children (unless we are talking about teens) would actually fall under the legal terms of neglect. Therefore, taking the children away under those extreme circumstances is logical.