Overweight BECAUSE of fitness program?!

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm sure my body fat percentage has decreased from where I started in January; but in October, I was fit and 130-135 lbs. Now, I'm fit... but 10 lbs heavier. I'm not a body-builder and have no desire to be. I'm not using the scale as my *only* measure of success, I just want my "old" fit body back, not the new version.

But... but... Your old body had 7 more inches on it!

But... but... it didn't! In October, each thigh was a 1/2" smaller, and my waist was 1/2" smaller. So I'm 1 1/2" bigger but 10 lbs. heavier now than I was less than 5 months ago.

Am I really the ONLY one on here that finds that frustrating?

Again, from your OP:
    I've lost 7" all over,

I'm not sure how to ask this nicely, but are you just trolling us?
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm sure my body fat percentage has decreased from where I started in January; but in October, I was fit and 130-135 lbs. Now, I'm fit... but 10 lbs heavier. I'm not a body-builder and have no desire to be. I'm not using the scale as my *only* measure of success, I just want my "old" fit body back, not the new version.
    People are crazy...
  • MANDEEx88
    MANDEEx88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is what I thought you meant. Thanks for responding.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone --

I'm 5'3" and typically 133-ish pounds. I started off the year at 138 with the goal of re-losing those 5 lbs. My typical routine is 3 days cardio, 2 days weights, and some yoga mixed in. For a change, I started a fitness program that combines weights and cardio (JNL Fusion) and have stuck to it like glue for the last 6 weeks.

I've lost 7" all over, my resting heart rate has dropped from 70 to 64, and even my blood pressure (totally fine to begin with) has improved. However, I now weigh 142 lbs. I realize it's from muscle and that all of my other indicators are great, but this puts my BMI in the overweight range... and almost doubles my original 5 lb weight loss goal.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get the scale pointed back in the right direction?

It is going in the right direction.

If you are improving in looks, performance and health whatever direction the scale is moving in is the right direction.

But look if you want to weigh less eat less. That's how this works.

oh and BMI is crap. It barely applies to individual sedentary humans, it completely breaks when confronted with people who are athletic. Most lifter are 'overweight' or on the borderline, even if they are slim, trim and lean.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

But... but... it didn't! In October, each thigh was a 1/2" smaller, and my waist was 1/2" smaller. So I'm 1 1/2" bigger but 10 lbs. heavier now than I was less than 5 months ago.

Again, from your OP:
    I've lost 7" all over,

This is what I was thinking as well:huh:
  • MANDEEx88
    MANDEEx88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Any idea how I calculate this?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - BF% is a better indicator...BMI doesn't take into account build

2 - Sorry...you did not gain 10 lbs of muscle...you just didn't

3 - If you inches are indeed decreasing and your weight has increased, it is due to fluid retention and/or excess waste in your system; exercise causes your body and tissues to break down..these require repair...fluids are retained to aid in said repair.

4- are you weighing yourself at the same time, same day, and under same conditions? Natural body weight fluctuations can easily be 5 Lbs day to day. Most people weigh in the morning first thing after they have relieved themselves and before consumption of food or beverage. If you have excess waste in your system, that weighs something...if you've eaten 2 Lbs of food, guess what...you're going to be about 2 Lbs heavier. If you've just worked out rigorously it is highly likely that your muscles will be saturated with fluids (which is what gives you that "pumped" look).

5 - It's not muscle...did I already say that?

1. Understood

2. Never said I did. I'm just saying that 5 lbs came from "Let's be a lazy, cookie-popping slob over the holidays"; and the other 5 have come from somewhere in the last 6 weeks -- probably water retention and some muscle (and no, not 5 lbs of it).

3. Thank you. This was actually helpful

4. Yep, Friday mornings, first thing in the am

5. Point already made -- no need to repeat.

I made points 2 and 5 because indeed...you did say, "I know it's muscle but blah, blah, blah"
  • ashleyrb927
    Options

Again, from your OP:
    I've lost 7" all over,

I don't know what trolling means, and I certainly don't think I'm "crazy." Let me back up:

In October, I weighed 133 lbs.

I ate a lot over the holidays, and when I stepped on the scale in January, I weighed 138 lbs.

I thought, "Hmm, let me try this exercise program I saw in an infomercial."

Fast-forward 6 weeks, the scale is 142 lbs, but I've lost 7" since starting the program in January. Given the inches lost, I'm assuming I'm not getting "fatter." So the weight is probably muscle... and water... and waste.

If I lose 1.5" more, then I'll be back to my original size from October but probably ~10 lbs heavier.

This is frustrating because I was happy with my body and weight in October. I want to get back to that point, but I'm not sure what to do when I stop the program.

I came on here for help, and I feel like there have been some helpful comments, but also some really rude ones. I don't want to start an argument, but I just feel really invalidated right now. I've never been overweight, so I just don't know how to handle this.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    1. Stop working out
    2. Eat at a deficit
    3. Return to lighter, flabbier body you had back in October
    4. Profit?
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    OP, when you get older, you're going to feel like a giant derp for worrying about building a little muscle when you were 29, and even more so if you gain a bit of weight as I have. Any idea what a formerly skinny a** with no muscle looks like when you're 42? Since I don't have any pics of mine, imagine if you filled two plastic grocery bags with jello and hung them out the back of your waistband side by side. The jello just sags and flops around. Sexy cheeks, eh?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Yeah, you'd think that observation would be profound… but the almighty scale wins the day… (Hint: ditch the scale and keep taking measurements instead)

What negatives are there to being smaller and stronger? Rather than flabbier and weaker with a lower number on the scale….

OP: how is it that you were happier the way you were before when your measurements were bigger? Re-read the thread and then maybe you will see why people think you are trolling. Weighing more but being smaller IS A VERY DESIRABLE THING. Because it means you are STRONGER, and healthier usually.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... sounds like you are doing good work on the fitness front but I'll tell you what... you haven't put on 4 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks. Newbies to the lifting/exercise gain may be able to put on - at most, and this is with serious effort - 1 lb of muscle a month. People who have been working out or fit before that are probably lucky to put on a 1/2 lb of muscle a month. And again... these stats are for people who train daily, constantly adjust for adaption, and scarf down a huge amount of protein and a caloric excess of 4-500 calories a day.

Now I am not saying you have gained 4 lbs of fat in 6 weeks either... probably a considerable amount of it is water weight or just natural fluctuation in your body weight (i.e. being female... I feel your pain). I worry though when people say things like "muscle weighs more than fat" and "I know it's just muscle" because it is much harder to put on muscle than this sort of folk wisdom would imply. Truth is... if you exercise more you are also - unless you completely ignore your body's needs and wants - going to be eating more and unless you are training an enormous amount or really pushing yourself, you are likely to gain weight during an exercise program! So your original title is not totally off point.

This all goes to say that your expectations and goals when you exercise might need to be re-evaluated. You acknowledged that your HR & blood pressure are vastly improved and that you feel tighter and more toned... this is all awesome news and these are the sorts of things that training will do for you. I say keep it up! These gains vastly outweigh (no pun intended) any moderate fluctuation in your weight.

One final point... everyone is correct in saying that BMI is crap. Two reasons for this - (1) it does not account for fitness or health in any way... just raw body weight. According to BMI charts, I am 'overweight'... I spend 14+ hours a week training (for a goal... not just because I'm crazy) and have less than 17% body fat. (2) the BMI charts were not designed to diagnose people as being overweight... as you can read on the Wiki page (and is discussed in numerous documentaries on the weight loss industry) - "'BMI' provides a simple numeric measure of a person's thickness or thinness, allowing health professionals to discuss overweight and underweight problems more objectively with their patients. However, BMI has become controversial because many people, including physicians, have come to rely on its apparent numerical authority for medical diagnosis, but that was never the BMI's purpose; it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) individuals, or rather, populations, with an average body composition." So basically BMI may be useful if you are sedentary... but not so much if you are active.

^^^This.

I'm also going to interject that BMI is probably a reasonable indicator for the average person. Not the person who's at a very low BF% with a ton of muscle, the body builder, or the professional athlete - but it's likely to be a decent indicator of health for the "average joe/josephina" who is either sedentary or works out on a regular basis (without the expressed purpose of competition/powerlifting/etc).

In your case though, you exercise quite a bit. If you are actually eating in a caloric deficit, you are likely carrying a lot of water weight and glycogen. It's really unlikely to be added muscle. Eventually those things will even out and the scale weight will drop. If you aren't carefully monitoring your food intake (weighing your food for accuracy, logging every bite), you may just be eating more and actually gaining. Doesn't sound like it since you're shrinking.

But for goodness sake, start using bodyfat% as an indicator of progress!! http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Any idea how I calculate this?
    You can set up your goals through myfitnesspal. Click "My Home" then click "Goals". Then all you have to do is enter your information and it should do all of the calculations for you. In the end it will give you a calorie goal to aim for. You can enter the calories you burn from exercise too, the more you exercise the more you can eat.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options
    I travel 4 days/week for work; so I'm really careful about my diet. I eat a lot of vegetables, lean meats and seafood, and no processed food (that I know of -- I try to go to "farm to table" restaurants when I'm on the road to be sure). I have a few cookies here and there, a glass of wine a couple times/week. My typical caloric intake is around 1300-1400/day and has been this way since I graduated college 8 years ago.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options
    OP, when you get older, you're going to feel like a giant derp for worrying about building a little muscle when you were 29, and even more so if you gain a bit of weight as I have. Any idea what a formerly skinny a** with no muscle looks like when you're 42? Since I don't have any pics of mine, imagine if you filled two plastic grocery bags with jello and hung them out the back of your waistband side by side. The jello just sags and flops around. Sexy cheeks, eh?

Thanks for the perspective (and the visual)! *smile* I didn't mean to negate your comment earlier. I've always worked out -- with weights and cardio -- and eaten right. I've never been skinny, but I've always been satisfied. It's hard to appreciate the 7" lost since January and the muscle gained when all I can think of is the 1.5" more to go (to get back to where I was in October) and "Oh, crap. What happens when I finish this program?" I've got a lot more time ahead of me!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I travel 4 days/week for work; so I'm really careful about my diet. I eat a lot of vegetables, lean meats and seafood, and no processed food (that I know of -- I try to go to "farm to table" restaurants when I'm on the road to be sure). I have a few cookies here and there, a glass of wine a couple times/week. My typical caloric intake is around 1300-1400/day and has been this way since I graduated college 8 years ago.

It it truly is 1400 then you should beosing weight as that is a deficit, and you definately won't be gaining any muscle. I would track carefully to make sure.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your diet is okay, but do you log your calories on here? If you do, maybe you could make it public so people could help you better. If you don't I would just question how you know what your intake is.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options

It it truly is 1400 then you should beosing weight as that is a deficit, and you definately won't be gaining any muscle. I would track carefully to make sure.

Exactly! That's what's frustrating me so much. When I noticed the scale creeping up, I've been monitoring extra closely. For the last two weeks, I've logged every bite I've had, and the scale still went up .5 lbs. I'm not trying to be a brat -- it just literally wasn't making sense to me.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options
    Here's the thing... sounds like you are doing good work on the fitness front but I'll tell you what... you haven't put on 4 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks. Newbies to the lifting/exercise gain may be able to put on - at most, and this is with serious effort - 1 lb of muscle a month. People who have been working out or fit before that are probably lucky to put on a 1/2 lb of muscle a month. And again... these stats are for people who train daily, constantly adjust for adaption, and scarf down a huge amount of protein and a caloric excess of 4-500 calories a day.

Now I am not saying you have gained 4 lbs of fat in 6 weeks either... probably a considerable amount of it is water weight or just natural fluctuation in your body weight (i.e. being female... I feel your pain). I worry though when people say things like "muscle weighs more than fat" and "I know it's just muscle" because it is much harder to put on muscle than this sort of folk wisdom would imply. Truth is... if you exercise more you are also - unless you completely ignore your body's needs and wants - going to be eating more and unless you are training an enormous amount or really pushing yourself, you are likely to gain weight during an exercise program! So your original title is not totally off point.

This all goes to say that your expectations and goals when you exercise might need to be re-evaluated. You acknowledged that your HR & blood pressure are vastly improved and that you feel tighter and more toned... this is all awesome news and these are the sorts of things that training will do for you. I say keep it up! These gains vastly outweigh (no pun intended) any moderate fluctuation in your weight.

One final point... everyone is correct in saying that BMI is crap. Two reasons for this - (1) it does not account for fitness or health in any way... just raw body weight. According to BMI charts, I am 'overweight'... I spend 14+ hours a week training (for a goal... not just because I'm crazy) and have less than 17% body fat. (2) the BMI charts were not designed to diagnose people as being overweight... as you can read on the Wiki page (and is discussed in numerous documentaries on the weight loss industry) - "'BMI' provides a simple numeric measure of a person's thickness or thinness, allowing health professionals to discuss overweight and underweight problems more objectively with their patients. However, BMI has become controversial because many people, including physicians, have come to rely on its apparent numerical authority for medical diagnosis, but that was never the BMI's purpose; it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) individuals, or rather, populations, with an average body composition." So basically BMI may be useful if you are sedentary... but not so much if you are active.

^^^This.

I'm also going to interject that BMI is probably a reasonable indicator for the average person. Not the person who's at a very low BF% with a ton of muscle, the body builder, or the professional athlete - but it's likely to be a decent indicator of health for the "average joe/josephina" who is either sedentary or works out on a regular basis (without the expressed purpose of competition/powerlifting/etc).

In your case though, you exercise quite a bit. If you are actually eating in a caloric deficit, you are likely carrying a lot of water weight and glycogen. It's really unlikely to be added muscle. Eventually those things will even out and the scale weight will drop. If you aren't carefully monitoring your food intake (weighing your food for accuracy, logging every bite), you may just be eating more and actually gaining. Doesn't sound like it since you're shrinking.

But for goodness sake, start using bodyfat% as an indicator of progress!! http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/

You ROCK! Thanks for the link. My body fat is 26%, which makes me feel a LOT better. Everyone says to "track body fat," but I've only seen it done with calipers from gym class in high school.