Almased

Hi, has anyone tried Almased? I'm curious if (1) it helps, (2) side-effects (I'm lactose intolerant and the nutritionist on their site for FAQ says no side effects). Thought I'd do research before buying!

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Looks like protein powder with some vitamins and gobbledegook thrown it to make it sound fancy.
  • I've been drinking Almased for 3 days and it's been great. I use almond milk for the shakes, so not lactose. It does sound like a fad, but I've lost 5lbs and my cravings have stopped, which was the main goal for me. I haven't felt terrible hungry and the shakes are good if you doctor them up a bit. I'm probably going to keep have the shakes for breakfast.
  • I enjoy Almased. Some of just need a kickstart to help us start losing weight. I'm on day 4 and down 3lbs and I don't crave sweets.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    My husband drinks it about every other day for breakfast. I used to drink it everyday for breakfast and now maybe once per week. I like it because it is good for protein and has some carbs in it already as well. I have tried many whey, soy, rice, hemp protein powders and liked none of them even with adding my own fruit, different milks, etc. Almased is great because it tastes good as a quick in water only protein fix, or for breakfast once in awhile I have it in coconut water plus a tbsp of olive oil (the powder doesn't have much fat in it at all).
    Yes it does help, many months ago I drank it everyday and it was a very satisfying breakfast which curbed my appetite. I had no side effects. I drank it twice a day for about a week as meal replacements and lost around 4 lbs.
    I wouldn't use it like a meal replacement long term but I use it like some people use protein powders. It isn't enough calories to actually be a daily meal replacement unless you're doing 4-6 meals per day or just higher calories for the other 2 meals.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    This is an old thread, but....

It works as well an any meal replacement product (like Slimfast or Special K), which is to say - yes, it works. But I think it's important to understand WHY it works.

Weight loss is completely dependent upon a calorie deficit, which means you have to consume fewer calories than your body burns in a day. Meal replacement diets work because they force you to eat in a deficit (for instance, a Slimfast shake is about 180 calories. If I drink that for breakfast, I've easily shaved 300 calories from what I might otherwise eat). There are many ways to go about creating a calorie deficit (including continuing to eat moderate portions of food that you already like).You just have to find the one that's most sustainable for you.

There's nothing wrong with using meal replacements. I do occasionally drink a high protein Slimfast shake for breakfast if I'm in a hurry and don't want to take the time to prepare anything else. The problem that many people run into when using meal replacements as a "diet" is that meal replacements don't teach you anything about proper portion sizes or how to eat real food while maintaining your weight.

If you want to use Almased (or anything else) as a supplement or an occasional meal replacement, you should be fine. If you're planning on using it as a diet system, just keep in mind that once you lose your weight with meal replacement products, you still have to make the time and effort to learn healthy, sustainable eating habits or you'll end up right back where you started.:smile: