How you get passed a plateau

Options
I’m not there yet, but I am anticipating that I will, at some point, as we all do, reach a plateau in my weight loss. I am curious as to how anyone else has gotten passed their plateau and jump started their weight loss again.

Replies

• HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    How I got past my most recent plateau was through IF (intermittent fasting). I was stuck at the same weight for 2.5 months and through one week of IF lost almost 5 pounds and broke through.
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    depends on your circumstances, but i actually got over my weight loss plateau by resting a lot more and increasing my calorie intake a little bit, at the advice of my trainer. it seems counter-intuitive but it worked like a charm!!
  • Babsie777
    Options
    How I got past my most recent plateau was through IF (intermittent fasting). I was stuck at the same weight for 2.5 months and through one week of IF lost almost 5 pounds and broke through.
    What is intermittent fasting?
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off talking to LauraCarlson8 instead of asking about IF.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    depends on your circumstances, but i actually got over my weight loss plateau by resting a lot more and increasing my calorie intake a little bit, at the advice of my trainer. it seems counter-intuitive but it worked like a charm!!

I do this too!!!! Works every time!! I am actually eating at maintenance now for this week and the weekend, then will drop back down to my 1 pound a week goal and add in more exercise. Nothing too drastic either way!!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I kept doing what I was doing. I was still losing inches so I knew my weight would catch up soon.
  • Babsie777
    Options
    You'd be better off talking to LauraCarlson8 instead of asking about IF.

I'm going to take everyone's stories into consideration, and find out what works best for me. I was just curious what IF was.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I’m not there yet, but I am anticipating that I will, at some point, as we all do, reach a plateau in my weight loss. I am curious as to how anyone else has gotten passed their plateau and jump started their weight loss again.
    Well if it ain't 6 weeks or longer while being consistent (meaning that during that 6 weeks there was no deviation from plan), then it's not a plateau.
    It would be a stall which is common. Keep doing what you're doing for at least 2 weeks. If nothing then, then reassess and make some small changes to exercise first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Intermittant Fasting. Basically a set amount of hours to fast. I tried it last year by not eating during the 8 hours I was at work, basically just skipping lunch. I didn't care for it. Others do. Here's a simple guide to it:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

I also tried upping my calories and that worked even though it seems backwards. I was lifting at the time as well. I've slid off the wagon since then and have recently started back so I'm not the perfect example but I have done both.

Good luck with whatever you do! You've already had amazing results.
  • Babsie777
    Options
    Intermittant Fasting. Basically a set amount of hours to fast.
    I'm not sure I could do that. I get sick when I don't eat, and get wicked headaches.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    There's lots of different strategies to break a plateau but lowering calories is usually (for me) the last option.. things you'd want to implement are stuff like:

1) Trying to do a full low carb or keto diet regimen (if you haven't already)
    2) Implementing a carb cycling regimen
    3) Increasing your current cardio duration and/or intensity
    4) Changing your type of cardio, if you usually do almost solely the elliptical machine, try the climber
    5) Try a different/new weight lifting and/or training regimen if you've been doing the same one for while

Plateau's are just the body wanting to adapt so to usually break past a plateau of 4+ weeks it's just making changes, significant enough to make the body work differently in one way or another.

If it comes down to it, as a last resort you drop calories but other changes are usually necessary first! Hope that helps.:tongue:
  • sarahdaniels600
    Options
    I find that it helps me to have a day or two where I eat a lot more than I have been eating. This speeds up your metabolism and then when you go back to your diet you will start losing again.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Nest way to break through a plateau in my opinion is to change up (and intensify) your workouts, and continue to be disciplined with your eating.

I lost 100 lbs that way.

I am a Personal Trainier.