Is this okay to start out with?

Options
This is my first time trying to lose weight in a healthy way and I never really exercised much before. I was thinking of just doing the treadmill in two 30 minute sessions, 3 days a week to start out with (working up to 5 days a week) and doing other little stuff like push-ups, crunches and squats a few times a week. Is this not enough or the wrong kind of thing I should be doing? If it helps, I'm 5'4, 142 pounds and looking to lose maybe 30-ish pounds.

Replies

• cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Nothing wrong with starting there and working up. Choose something you like and will do long term. As you will hear from others, diet is key, exercise helps the process but if the diet piece is broken, all the exercise in the world wont help.... Good luck and stay with it..
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that what you do should be relevant to your current fitness level. If you have been sedentary for a long time, you may need to be a little more modest with your workouts. This sounds like a lot of activity for someone, if they have not been actively exercising before they started.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd skip the Crunches. maybe planks or chin ups instead.

Also just "Winging" exercise is a good way to just stop doing it.
    Get on a running plan and a body strength plan. (seems what you are looking for) Follow the progression and stick with it.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Anything is ok to start out with - Dont work yourself to the point where you give up - but everyone needs to start somewhere.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree with Quasita. If you haven't been very active you might want to try 30 minutes once a day for a few days and see how it goes.
    It's DEFINITELY enough, just add more when you feel you're ready. When you notice what you're doing isn't challenging enough, add in another 10 minutes, or an extra day a week, or both!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Check out nerdfitness- they have some great beginner- very scalable programs.

Weight loss = diet stuff
    strength/fitness/health = working out.

don't' work out to lose weight- work out because you love it- or because you have goals. Work on the diet stuff to dial in the weight loss.

There is also no right or wrong answer- the answers are goal dependent and goal driven. So they vary greatly for each persons life- goals and schedules. Common themes? sure- but they are never right or wrong- just - different.

Good luck on your new journey!
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The biggest key to any fitness routine is having a realistic plan and sticking with that plan. Record everything you do and log it.
  • laurenmt82
    Options
    To answer your question- do what you feel comfortable with. You want to feel challenged, but not like you're dying. Maybe C25K? I like that program a lot. It safely builds up you stamina.

You don't need to reply to this. Just want to ask/say something for you to think about. Why do you want to lose 30 pounds? Your BMI is already in the healthy range. And, while 112 lbs keeps you in the healthy range, its very very close to being under weight. Remember to take care of your body and try to focus on health more than the scale or pictures in magazines and on TV.
  • dfarina33
    dfarina33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

So says the ancient Chinese proverb.

My attitude is just get started, get into a regular routine and find what works for you.