Is too much fiber bad for you?

Options
Hi guys, my name is Henrique Matos, I'm portuguese, 19 years old, 1.77m (~5"9) and 75kg (~165pounds). I'm new to the forum but I've been using FitnessPal for a while (add me as a friend, if you want to!). Right now, I'm in the last phase of my cut... I only need to lose 5 more kilograms and maybe go down to 13%bf, which is my major goal.

I opened this topic today because I have a doubt, guys. I never go over my calories, but lately I've been consuming too much fiber, because of the quest bars I ordered. As you know, they're high in fiber and this week, since monday, fiber was always over my goal. I bought these quest bars mainly to "keep my sanity", because I haven't eaten crap in 3 weeks. I used to have a cheat meal once a week but I always ate more than I thought I would eat, so I cut those out, and I promised myself that I would only have 1 once a month. So far so good. I've been eating 1 quest bar since tuesday I think, and I never went over my calories. I'm also following a 40 40 20 diet.
Thing is, it is true that too much fiber tends to make you have intestinal problems. I don't feel them that much. I drink 1,5L everyday in the gym, drink about 8 glasses of water a day (each glass is 30cl, I always drink from similar glasses), and I drink 3 cups of green tea a day between meals as well. Fiber tends to make you have liquid retention as well, but I don't think I have that problem as well.

So... is it a problem if my fiber intake is high? Will it affect my weight loss goals? Thanks all, and sorry if my English is bad :)
Best of luck with all your goals!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How high is "too much"? How many grams of fiber are you eating?
  • FlexinHenrique94
    Options
    About 60 grams everyday, more 20g than I can take.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't think that will cause a problem. Are you experiencing any issues?
  • FlexinHenrique94
    Options
    Farts. Other than that, I'm all good haha. Just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. My diet is close to perfection then :). Thanks!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    A rapid increase in dietary fiber can cause major GI issues... such as going from 30 grams/day to 60 grams/day immediately. If you feel fine, don't worry about it. :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'd make sure you're drinking plenty of water with the fiber...typically the more fiber you eat, the more water you need to prevent getting clogged.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    On an average day, I'll get around 75-90 grams of fiber. The only negatives I've encountered are, on some days, depending on the combination of foods I've eaten, I might feel a little more bloated or gassy after certain meals, but nothing that is uncomfortable. Your body does get used to it after awhile and you'll find that you're better able to tolerate the higher fiber intake. Gradually increasing your intake is preferable to doubling or tripling it all at once. That is what leads to problems.

Just be sure to stay well-hydrated, which it sounds like you are.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    60 grams a day is great! Most people don't get enough
  • FlexinHenrique94
    Options
    Great guys. Thanks for your info! I always thought it was one of those nutrients that is generally ok to overdo. My carbs, fats and proteins are spot on though.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thing is, it is true that too much fiber tends to make you have intestinal problems.

. . . .

So... is it a problem if my fiber intake is high?

I just started eating a daily Quest bar a few weeks ago. I was a little concerned about the amount of fiber, but I haven't seen any effects from it at all.

I think it depends on the type of fiber. The IMO fiber in one Quest bar a day shouldn't be a problem. Fiber from normal amounts of vegetables and fruit is fine. Forcing fiber intake--eating lots of wheat bran and psyllium husk, for instance--can actually cause constipation, even with adequate water, because the stool becomes so bulky. More of that type of fiber isn't necessarily better. Studies haven't shown any health benefit from it; the claim that it helps prevent colon polyps/colon cancer has been thoroughly disproven.
  • FlexinHenrique94
    Options
    Quest bars are awesome aren't they? The chocolate chip cookie dough tastes like candy! It's amazing
  • esthergrub
    esthergrub Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I seem to go over on my fiber everyday. My goal is 21 grams, and I'm consistently double that amount. My stomach is used to it, I suppose, but it bothers me to see that negative number in red all the time. I rarely go over my calories (counting my exercise, that is).
  • becalm
    becalm Posts: 31
    Options
    I eat one quest bar a day and it was fine for awhile
    But now Ive been noticing I don't go to the bathroom every day if you know what I mean. My fiber is usually around 45 g a day. I'm trying to find a solution because Im obsessed with quest I don't want to cut them out!
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I try to beat my sugar intake in fiber by the Gram. Often I will get 60-90 grams a day. Over time your body will learn to manage it and the bloat and gas will recede. There are some fun caloric loss benefits of lots of fiber that allow you eat a bit more than normal which I love because food is AWESOME!
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I mean too much fiber will make you poop a lot though. lol.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I dont have anything to back me up here (other than an article I once read, but cant cite), maybe someone more knowledgeable then me has actual science stuff to say..... High fiber amounts (ie over 35-40 grams) can reduce the absorption of nutrients.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    SNL_0617_04_Colon_Blow.png
  • anna11033
    anna11033 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    you might not be absorbing all the nutrients you're consuming because stuff are probably going faster through your colon so I'd be a bit careful :) but other than that i can't see much wrong with having a high fiber diet.