Your favorite frozen dinners/meals?

Options
This is one of the only ways I can stay on track. I know I should be fixing my food with all fresh ingredients BUT when I do then I eat 2-3 portions. Frozen meals help me eat just one helping!

So - what are your favorite frozen meals?

I care most about big helpings and it being delicious! Just had one from AMY'S - pretty decent.

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The ones I make myself.

You can easily portion them out individually just like a frozen meal.

I will often spend a Sunday evening cooking and freezing a couple of meals. That way I have everything I need for the following busy week.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You can't live off of frozen meals forever. They are not the answer
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Why not?
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The ones I make myself.

I will often spend a Sunday evening cooking and freezing a couple of meals. That way I have everything I need for the following busy week.

This X100!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

There is generally nothing wrong with them, so you COULD live off them forever but they might start getting bland and unexciting.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I totally make my own. Stews as well as pasta dishes seem to freeze the best. Stir fry dishes I freeze the stirfry part, but not the rice. I also make salads ahead of time and portion them out into individual containers, so I make sure to eat only one portion (but those I don't freeze).

Basically, I make dinner for 4 people. But I'm only one person. When it's done, I dish myself one serving. Then I immediately -- BEFORE EATING -- put the rest into individual containers, and into the fridge. That way when I'm done, the "leftovers" are cold and unappetizing, and don't turn into "right nows."

EDIT TO ADD: My tip for foods like stirfry and pasta and stews -- basically "bowls of stuff" meals -- put them into ziplocks, and freeze them flat, one on top of each other. They take up very little room once they're frozen flat(ish).
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like the Healthy Choice Chicken Linguine as wel as the Lean Cuisine Portabella and Steak Tips and the Roasted Turkey with Whipped Sweet Potatoes.

Some of the Boston Market and Marie Callendar meals are around 300 to 400 calories also.

I always keep a bag of frozen vegetables in the freezer at work and add those to help bulk up the freezer pleasers.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The ones I make myself.

I came here to say this exactly. Go buy a ton of ziploc containers on the cheap and have at it.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Haters to the left, they are easy quick lunches!

Overall I like the Smart Ones the best - the meat lasagne is so good! It's a lot of food, idk how they do it. The Lean Cuisine chefs picks are good too - I really like the chicken & noodles in peanut sauce and the Thai curry. They aren't a lot of food - supplement it with fresh fruit or veggies.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Some of their frozen meals are REALLY good.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The ones I make myself.

^^^This is what I do too! Happy cooking!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My favorites are:

Amy's Mexican Casserole
    Amy's Tamale Verde
    all of Amy's Indian meals

Ethnic Gourmet Palak Paneer
    Ethnic Gourmet Chicken Biryani

Lean Cuisine Rigatoni (haven't seen this around for a while, though)
    Lean Cuisine Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
    Lean Cuisine Chicken with Almonds

Kashi Mayan casserole (may not be the right name-- this has sweet potatoes and plantains in it)

I also like some of the Trader Joe's frozen meals, but I can't remember the names of all of them. However, I think most of these are not single serving. There is a single serving fish dish which is quite good, though, and a Mexican style chicken with peppers that is two servings (Chicken Serenada?).
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i really like some of the lean cuisine flavors... but have not been eating them nearly as much since i started using MFP because they have a lot of sodium and more carbs than I am looking to eat for a lunch meal (i don't usually have them for dinner)... but if you are really into them here are a few of my favorite flavors...

sesame stir fry with chicken
    swedish meatballs
    ginger garlic stir fry with chicken
    butternut squash ravioli

i would say they aren't huge portions but are big enough to satisfy me
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I generally don't love the sodium these things pack, but I do like to bring them for lunch sometimes when I don't feel like cooking! I like Marie Calendars. Don't think they're low fat, but they have less calories than fast food, etc.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he is aware that it's possible to freeze food all by yourself, but not everyone (me) has the freezer space to store leftovers.
    I buy a few at the beginning of the week and keep them at work for when I don't have time to make something.

I really like the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers - I think they are the most filling.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Pot pies

Eta specifically marie callender's
    Cheesy bacon chicken something
    The beef one
    And the chicken corn chowder one
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Lean Cuisine Pizzas

Not only does not everyone have the space to freeze leftovers, not everybody wants to. I'm sorry, but I take as little time as possible preparing meals most days. I also have a small kitchen. The chances of me preparing a weeks worth of food on Sunday night instead of spending quality time with my family are extremely slim.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i like the marie callendar ones best. Meatballs & Sausage Marinara, Herb roasted chicken, and Roasted Turkey Breast & Stuffing are my favorites. ( they have a few turkey ones and they are all good but i like the one with stuffing best)

some of the healthy choice steamers are pretty good too. sweet sesame chicken & tortellini primavera are probably my favorites. they have a couple with mushrooms that might be good if you like mushrooms, but i hate them so have never tried those out
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    The only frozen food I eat is stouffers lasagne. And garlic bread with it.
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a class on my lunch break so I have to eat at my desk. I eat lean cuisine pretty much daily.
    I LOVE their mushroom ravioli, red pastas and pizzas.
    I know I won't eat them forever, but with 2 jobs, 2 kids, school, no lunch break, etc. This is one way I can stay on track for now.