This mom needs advise!!!

Options
Desperate need of advise. I'm 182 pounds 5'7 and 34 years old I workout 6 days a week which I enjoy averaging 30 min cardio with a heartrate of 150. I was previously keeping heartrate about 175 but my doc said that's to high and 150 to burn fat. That's slow but I've been doing it. I eat great and sometimes slip with water intake but should be seeing results!! After cardio I always do weights for a hour. When the heck do the inches and weight come off?? Calorie intake is about 1400-1500. Advise would be great, I really want muscle mass and weight loss! Goal is 40 pounds and scale isn't budging!!! it's discouraging seeing no results and my baby is 6 months old.

Replies

• train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that seems like a lot of exercise. Most people I know do either cardio or weights on a given day, not both. Perhaps you are not giving your body enough time to recoup after weights. Just my take, i'm no expert.
  • seglass1
    seglass1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi

I agree - way too much exercise. I went a boot camp run by the guy who advised for the 'biggest loser'. He said that he gets so angry when he sees very overweight people doing weights. The biggest danger is the weight itself which needs to get knocked off. My advise - knock the weight off FIRST then tone and build muscle.

Walk, walk and more walking try for at least 45mins to 1 hour a day and walk faster and faster and then uphills.

Food - fill up on HUGE bowls of vegetable soup (not creamy ones!) Huge salads with low cal dressing (not creamy ones)
    Big vegetable omlettes., quinoa is great too as low fat and high protein.

As someone said - vegetables stoke your fire so pile them on as they help with weight loss, fill you up and are so good for you..
  • seglass1
    seglass1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi

I agree - way too much exercise. I went a boot camp run by the guy who advised for the 'biggest loser'. He said that he gets so angry when he sees very overweight people doing weights. The biggest danger is the weight itself which needs to get knocked off. My advise - knock the weight off FIRST then tone and build muscle.

Walk, walk and more walking try for at least 45mins to 1 hour a day and walk faster and faster and then uphills.

Food - fill up on HUGE bowls of vegetable soup (not creamy ones!) Huge salads with low cal dressing (not creamy ones)

As someone said - vegetables stoke your fire so pile them on as they help with weight loss, fill you up and are so good for you..
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What's your diet like? Are you measuring and tracking everything? Diet is more important for weight loss than exercise.
  • fitmomforu
    fitmomforu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Really? A trainer said that I need to pick up on the weights because it assists with burning more calories. So many different opinions, no wonder it's confusing!!! I need to eat more salads for sure and love cous cous and quineo. I will get there it's just a slow process.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Desperate need of advise. I'm 182 pounds 5'7 and 34 years old I workout 6 days a week which I enjoy averaging 30 min cardio with a heartrate of 150. I was previously keeping heartrate about 175 but my doc said that's to high and 150 to burn fat. That's slow but I've been doing it. I eat great and sometimes slip with water intake but should be seeing results!! After cardio I always do weights for a hour. When the heck do the inches and weight come off?? Calorie intake is about 1400-1500. Advise would be great, I really want muscle mass and weight loss! Goal is 40 pounds and scale isn't budging!!! it's discouraging seeing no results and my baby is 6 months old.

Try circuits...my trainer is not a huge supporter for weight lifting because you're sitting and not mobile and doing. Just a thought.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Yikes! No! Lift if you want. I think you probably are eating more than you think. Weigh your food. Try that for a month. See what happens.
  • fitmomforu
    Options
    My diets is usually oatmeal and banana in the morning with my coffee, lunch is always hard cuz I'm hungry after the gym so that's where I can slip. Today was a 6 inch veggie sub with light Mao, dinner is usually protein and veggies with salad. Then I have to do everything I can to avoid late snacking!!

Weak spot is craving sonething sweet after lunch, gets me 70 % of the time!!
  • fitmomforu
    Options
    Thanks! I love weights, don't think I could give it up. I'll look more into my food!!!
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try weighing your food, and if necessary, over estimate. I have know lots of trainers in my life, most will say the same thing; if you want to loose weight lift weights. But for right now you should not be interested in muscle mass or muscled definition, that will come when the weight comes off. Start with light weights high reps, that will work a litle cardio as well, and walk. Also you should give a full rest day after weights workouts to give your muscles time to recover. Good luck.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The whole "fat burning" heart rate is kind of a myth. Yes, technically you are burning more fat during that actual time you are working out at that moment. But overall weight loss is controlled by the total calorie deficit at say, the end of the week (or whatever, bodies can't really tell time). So the higher heart rate exercise will burn more calories.

What kind of lifting are you doing that you can do it 6 days a week? I'm going to assume you are a beginner and recommend dropping to 3 days a week and switching to something like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

Next question, are you breast feeding? If so, are you accounting for the additional calories? I know when I was I couldn't cut calories without seriously effecting my milk supply, so I made the decision to delay weight loss until I was done.

Also, how's your calorie tracking? Are you really tracking everything 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? If you aren't doing so already, get a food scale and weigh food as much as possible to ensure accuracy? Make sure you count everything, even little snacks or whatever can add up. Are you eating your exercise calories? How are you tracking these? Overestimates on these can slow weight loss as well. How long have you been at this intake? Remember weight isn't consistent and loss isn't linear. Water retention, undigested food, swelling, etc can all mask weight loss.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Really? A trainer said that I need to pick up on the weights because it assists with burning more calories. So many different opinions, no wonder it's confusing!!! I need to eat more salads for sure and love cous cous and quineo. I will get there it's just a slow process.

I personally would agree with the trainer you spoke to on this one- starting to lift weights now will minimize the amount of lean body mass (muscle) that you'll lose during the process. Don't stop the weights, you'll look and feel better in the long run if you keep them up.

That said, you are doing a LOT of exercise, and that can mean a lot of stress on the body, and possibly a lot of water retention. Water retention (whether from exercise or from salty foods) can translate into little to no scale movement.

Disclaimer- Are you breastfeeding as well (since you have a 6 month old?). If so you should disregard the advice you see on the internet and make sure to take your Dr's advice. Assuming that you aren't breastfeeding and have no other medical conditions to consider (and recognizing that my advice is based on my experience/research and that I have no medical training):

My advice would be to back off a little bit on the exercise, and to be diligent about logging your foods. Everything you eat goes in your log, and you need to make sure you're accurately estimating your intake- weigh or measure things. It's really really easy to underestimate your calorie intake. Finally- are you eating back any exercise calories? If you want to be able to keep up an active lifestyle with the amount of exercise that you're doing healthily, you should consider eating at least some of them back.

Good luck! I hope that things start moving in the direction that you want soon, just remember that the exercise and limiting how much you eat will make you healthier! Weight loss comes with perseverance and dedication, as well as figuring out what works for you

(Edited slightly to reflect that I was agreeing with the trainer she spoke to, not the Biggest Loser one that dislikes weight lifting for overweight people)
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yikes! No! Lift if you want. I think you probably are eating more than you think. Weigh your food. Try that for a month. See what happens.

This. You can lift. You just may be lifting too much. I believe 3x/week (rest day in between each day of lifting) is recommended. Or, if you are doing it 6x/week, you should be alternating what you're doing so one muscle group is resting. Are you doing free weights or machines? If the latter, I highly recommend starting Stronglifts 5x5. There's a group on here with a great post breaking it down so you don't have to wade through their website.

I'm 5'1", 190 right now, started at 291, and I started machine lifting a few months into my journey a year ago, but I started free weights in January and feel WAY better.

More than likely, you're either eating more than you think or are retaining water right now and the scale will show it eventually. Take measurements too. It's good to have more than one way to show progress.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hi

Um, no....I lost all my weight doing VERY little cardio, and strength training three times per week. I started at 192, @ 5'7" and HATE cardio, but loved lifting. Lost all the goal weight AND some, and am currently ending a bulk cycle.

I recently interviewed a personal trainer for my blog and I asked her about this whole waiting to lift the weight until all the weight is lost, and her response was, "From an overall health perspective, strength training is great for your bones and joints. As women, it’s a great way to reduce your risk of osteoporosis.

'Working with weights while losing weight helps you to retain the muscle you already have so that the weight you are losing is primarily fat. This helps to keep a nice shape to the body. Muscle also burns more calories at rest than fat does (not a load more, but any bit helps!) so overall your body is expending more calories which is never a bad thing.

"Strength training also helps to improve day to day activities. If you have small children, you will find it’s easier to carry them around or lift them up. If you have pets, you will find that carrying those large bags of pet food is much easier. Even things like regular house cleaning gets easier because you are stronger and more fit."
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you're eating and lifting as you describe, I would say you need a lot more protein in your diet. Your muscles need it to repair themselves and you'll find you feel full a lot longer. Try for 30% of your intake as protein. A post workout protein shake is almost a must.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    How funny, I just posted a similar post a few days ago about weightlifting and calorie intake. I recently changed my workout routine and started heavy liftting for 45-60 minutes 6 days a week and do cardio (jogging) for about one hour once to twice per week. I was at 1,200 calories a day (eating back some exercie calories) but I knew something was off when I wasn't dropping any weight for 6 weeks straight. So after some input from fellow MFP folks and some research, I upped my calorie intake to 1,500 last week and it's been going great. I no longer log my exercises as it's figured into this TDEE method and my macros are 45% carbs, 25% protein and 20% fat. I really try to focus hard on the protein intake, I am sure you know how vital that is when you are lifting and wanting to build muscle.

I am 5'4" though, you're quite a bit taller :) so I would advise to take a look at your daily calorie intake and see if you shouldn't eat more to sustain the workouts you are doing. I used this website fro my own calculations (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) and when I put your stats in, it came to a TDEE of 2,350 a day (already figuring in that you work out 6 days a week). With a 20% deficit, that's a daily intake of 1,880 calories.

And it sounds like you have a great trainer, don't stop the weight lifting - it'll rock your world and the inches will melt away, I promise!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi

That's a load of bull. First she isn't even remotely 'very overweight'. Second, one can incorporate weights at any point in the journey. The sooner the better for the skin tightening up nicely.

OP. I do think you're exercising way too much. Keep days to lifting days and cardio days. You don't need to kill yourself with exercise.

For food, eat whole fats and good food in proper quantities. You need fat to absorb nutrients properly.

I highly recommend reading this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

You can find your TDEE here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Make sure you're weighing and measuring your food! You can't out exercise a bad diet.
  • fitmomforu
    Options
    Thanks guys the information I'm getting is great!! Weights is usually free weights and each day rotating body vs upper or lower body. Lower I have been using machines more due to not confident on posture with free weights. I really enjoy my weight time and do think my diet might be the issue. I see the same question about eating my calorie burn numbers? I usually do half I think.
  • fitmomforu
    Options
    Thanks and that's a good thing to bring up! Should I be doing a post protein shake?? I always heard the stories of it will put on weight not in a good way. Thank god for this forum!! Sure is helping!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks and that's a good thing to bring up! Should I be doing a post protein shake?? I always heard the stories of it will put on weight not in a good way. Thank god for this forum!! Sure is helping!!

As long as you are getting enough protein throughout the day (80-100g), you do not need a post protein shake.