New York style pizza?

Options
I love pizza it is my down fall... I go to a place that serves an 18" new york style pizza but I can never figure out how to count it. Does anyone know of a comparable restaurant that I could look at the nutrition info? or any suggestions on how to track it?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If you just type in 'new york pizza' in the search field, you get about a hundred hits. Just pick one that sounds similar.

Food eaten in restaurants is difficult to figure. Even if you find the food, the numbers are likely to be off by a little or a lot.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you just type in 'new york pizza' in the search field, you get about a hundred hits. Just pick one that sounds similar.

Food eaten in restaurants is difficult to figure. Even if you find the food, the numbers are likely to be off by a little or a lot.

I agree with ^. Take subway for example. You can build your sub online and see how many calories and everything should be in the sub you ordered.

However subway doesn't measure out your veggies or sauces. So if the person squeezed the bottle for an extra 1/2 second you have more calories and fat from your sauce. Or if you got a bit less veggies your vitamin counts are off... resteraunt foods are a guesstimate. But really that is close enough unless your eating out for most meals.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Off topic but you look like Ginnifer Goodwin :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If the pizza is cut into 8 pieces, you are talking about between 350 and 400 calories per slice.

Pizza is what I am having as my treat meal when I reach my goal. I love love love LOVE it, but I am not capable of eating one slice. If there is a pizza in front of me, I am eating a thousand calories.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    sbarro is the closest thing to mass produced NY Style Pizza. Use that. Sparingly.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    New York Style pizza

Usually between 250-350 for the healthier types

Usually between 300-550 for the not so healthier types

Pizzacato is a good one to look at for the bistro healthy varieties

Otherwise just search new york pepperoni or whatever slice you get.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

She really does!!!
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My WW friends and I call this the great pizza debate. There is no answer to how many calories it has.
    I had 2 slices of a 16" NY pie and MFP said it was 700 calories.
    I've always counted 18" pie slices as 450 - 500 calories depending on how much cheese was on it.

BTW.... My down fall too!
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    One slice is seriously 350-400 calories?

I was thinking 250. I'm not sure if it's different because I've never had New York style pizza, but 400 calories for one slice of pizza seems a bit high to me.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Yea! She does!
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    spoken from a new yorker. new york pizzas are usually huge. i have had slices that are almost the size of 2.

I was thinking 250. I'm not sure if it's different because I've never had New York style pizza, but 400 calories for one slice of pizza seems a bit high to me.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    spoken from a new yorker. new york pizzas are usually huge. i have had slices that are almost the size of 2.

mh, makes sense. i was scared for a bit there, i loooove my pizza. i don't know if I could limit my pizza intake on friday nights
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Nope, for an 18 inch you are looking at almost 400 calories. Lets think about this, the tiny lean cuisine ones are 300. The crust alone is around 200, then add the cheese.

Trust me, if a slice of pizza was only 250 calories, I would have a slice every day.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I calculate it at 250 per slice. The NY style we get here has an extremely thin crust. I don't eat meat on my pizza, usually onions and mushrooms, sometimes some feta cheese.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Oh Damn!

The one I choose in the Database is;

1 slice from and Extra Large Cheese Pizza = 280 calories.

The best thing is to make your own. :flowerforyou:
  • MissJen84
    MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ginnifer Goodwin is pretty hot, so I definitely take it as a compliment :-) I actually cut my hair really short like she had hers for a while, I'm growing it out now.

Sabarro is comparable, but their nutrition info web site is down. I can't seem to find anyone else that has an 18" pizza... I have looked and looked, that's why I finally posted on here. My friends go there weekly so I really need to figure out how to count the pizza :(
  • MissJen84
    MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I found this and wanted to share... I know its been a while since I posted this topic, but there was soo much debate on the calories I thought I would share. Go to menu and locations and it will download a pdf and it will pull up their nutrition info for 12" and 18" pizzas.

http://www.anthonyspizzaandpasta.com/
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Just an FYI, I made my own with a wheat crust and soy cheese and one medium slice was 175 calories.
  • mdemarchis1
    Options
    I noticed that a lot of entries in the db put pizza around 120 calories. Didn't seem right to me so I dug up this old NYT article

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/14/garden/eating-well-fat-by-the-slice.html

Which places NY pizza between 480 and 613 calories (depending on where you go) ouch!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Sbarro is NOTHING like an average ny slice of pizza. Us new yorkers scoff at Sbarros. Scoff, scoff. haha. just kidding. but seriously, sbarros blows.

love Val