New York style pizza?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    the cheese alone is about 100-200 calories.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When choosing something from the food database, just make sure you choose the same size pie. That way you'll know that your slices are close to the same size. There is a HUGE difference between 1/8 of a 14 in h pizza and 1/8 of an 18 inch pizza.

If all else fails, there's a Pizza Hut entry for pretty much every size and topping,
  • IanLozada
    Options
    sbarro is the closest thing to mass produced NY Style Pizza. Use that. Sparingly.

That's not a good idea. Sbarro cuts pizzas into 6 jumbo slices, not the traditional 8.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    There's an entry in the database that's 475 for one NY style slice. That's the one I use. It's a big slice and I can get by with eating one. Seems about right.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bpurc22 wrote: »
    One slice is seriously 350-400 calories?

I was thinking 250. I'm not sure if it's different because I've never had New York style pizza, but 400 calories for one slice of pizza seems a bit high to me.
    A single slice of Dominos cheese small hand-tossed pizza is 200 calories. So deep dish with other ingredients would not surprise me by being quite a bit more.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I weighed a slice of what I consider to be "Normal" New York Style pepperoni and sausage. It came out to 480 calories for one slice. Pizza is my downfall too.. I just cant make it fit so I eat it very seldom :( When I log this, I find the one that is 480 cal - 1200 sodium) hit enter then cry
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza every week, and for half a pizza it is 799 calories. Each half is about 3 New York style sized slices, so lets call it 266 calories per slice. That is with homemade tomato sauce, fresh tomato slices, green peppers, Italian seasoning and mozzarella cheese. The dough is by far the most calorific component unless you're piling on extra cheese and meats, and I'd say a traditional New York Slice is very slightly thinner than what I make, so a rough guestimate would be 250 calories per slice if you had the same toppings.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I make my own pizza every week, and for half a pizza it is 799 calories. Each half is about 3 New York style sized slices, so lets call it 266 calories per slice. That is with homemade tomato sauce, fresh tomato slices, green peppers, Italian seasoning and mozzarella cheese. The dough is by far the most calorific component unless you're piling on extra cheese and meats, and I'd say a traditional New York Slice is very slightly thinner than what I make, so a rough guestimate would be 250 calories per slice if you had the same toppings.

The crust alone on a 18" New York slice is over 200 calories. Compare it to a single flour tortilla. ITS SO SAD

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ashquin wrote: »
    spoken from a new yorker. new york pizzas are usually huge. i have had slices that are almost the size of 2.
    One slice is seriously 350-400 calories?

I was thinking 250. I'm not sure if it's different because I've never had New York style pizza, but 400 calories for one slice of pizza seems a bit high to me.

Right. Some of the slices are redonkulous and I still eat 2.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I imagine their pizza is long ago digested and pooped out.

This thread dates from 2012

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I imagine their pizza is long ago digested and pooped out.

This thread dates from 2012

Dagnabbit! What is with the zombie threads this week? :angry:
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »

The crust alone on a 18" New York slice is over 200 calories. Compare it to a single flour tortilla. ITS SO SAD

I should probably note my pizzas are 11", so an 18" slice will be more than I estimated . When I started making pizza I was surprised just how many calories were in white flour, but I'd rather eat less than compromise on flavour by using a different flour.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Just find anything with 80,000 calories. That'll do.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    2012 THREAD!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I noticed that a lot of entries in the db put pizza around 120 calories. Didn't seem right to me so I dug up this old NYT article

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/14/garden/eating-well-fat-by-the-slice.html

Which places NY pizza between 480 and 613 calories (depending on where you go) ouch!

This is where id be guessing the pizza was, it's really either a massive treat if you are going to eat it, but becayse of the calories its a major risk for your daily allowance. You can get much better bang for your calories elsewhere. You cna of course make your own pizza and a healthier version.