Are there any Knitters on MFP?

Options
So- I am a Knittier with a capital "K". I would rather knit that do just about anything else in the world (other than read and hang with the family). Since this is a very sedentary activity, I know that my knitting has seriously contributed to my weight gain. I've gained 30 lbs in the 3 years I've been knitting. I'd love to connect with other knittiers to see if we can help each other to stay motivated to get up off the sofa, put down the needles, and work out. Also, I'd love to maybe combine some knitting related motivation (ex: knit alongs, congratulations knits for mini goals, etc). So, if you are a knitter, or you want to be, post a reply, and let's talk weight loss and yarn!

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I don't knit..well I can't. My mom has tried to teach me how but I can't do it! I wish I could
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm a knitter but I'm not really that advanced. I make scarves, hats, dish clothes, etc. For me it's pretty therapeutic. What's your favorite thing to make?
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    *waves!* Definitely a knitting addict here!

I find that knitting is actually a good reward for weightloss/exercise.

A month of good eating and exercise translates into lots of yummy yarn! Also, knitting instead of eating? win!
  • aligirl32766
    Options
    I can do the garter stitch pretty well, but thats it. I have learned it from the internet. I think I would do better if I had someone to sit down and teach me in person. Anyway, I do love it,and I use it in the evenings to keep me busy when I feel like munching. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much. I have made just a few things. Anyway, if you want to befriend a beginner like me, feel free to add me as a friend.
    Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make is hats. My kids LOVE slouchy hats, as do I! Plus, people will try wonderful new colors and allkinds of styles for a hat, that they wouldn't wear for clothes.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    I've knitted since my teens. Right now I am working on knitted Christmas ornaments (see picture). I love the idea of getting a little something done while waiting in line for my kids or at the doctor's office so I try to bring a project wherever I go.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Would sooooo love to be a knitter. My beautiful grandmother tried to teach me for years how to knit but I was too busy climbing trees and playing baseball with the boys. I sure wish I could have a talk with that little girl and tell her to sit still and listen to what she was trying to teach me. I do, however, own several looms and have made numerous hats, scarves and tiny baby socks. I started on a blanket but felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I like instant gratification so I stick to the small stuff now! :)