Pottassium deficiency

Options
2»

Replies

• jaz141
    jaz141 Posts: 32
    Options
    V8 and coconut water are two good low calorie sources.

However, before supplementing with potassium, I would supplement with 360mg magnesium citrate. It will help you absorb the potassium from food sources, and most people need more magnesium anyway. In fact, everyone thinks you should take/eat potassium for muscle cramps, but really, magnesium works for muscle cramps MUCH better.
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    v8 - 700mg of potassium in (1) 5.5 oz. can
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    you might want to take a supplement.

This is useless advice unless you can get a doctor's prescription. Have you ever looked at the amount of potassium in an over the counter supplement? In the USA at least it's legally restricted to a level that's basically pointless. 99 mg.

A glass of orange juice contains more potassium than a handful of potassium pills.
  • LinteeBean
    Options
    you might want to take a supplement.

This is useless advice unless you can get a doctor's prescription. Have you ever looked at the amount of potassium in an over the counter supplement? In the USA at least it's legally restricted to a level that's basically pointless. 99 mg.

A glass of orange juice contains more potassium than a handful of potassium pills.

Agree with Joben.

I have a diagnosed potassium deficiency - I have for years. Ironically (or not), I LOVE bananas and sweet potatoes and low-sodium V8 juice and tomatoes and lots of other high-potassium foods. I *should* be getting plenty of potassium from my diet. I'm still deficient. In my case, it's because of other medical issues which (long story short) cause higher-than-normal urination and defecation - which causes me to lose potassium.

I take prescription supplements, have for years, and have my levels tested regularly by my doctor... because (and this is important)
    too much potassium will kill you. Not joking, potassium chloride is used in lethal injections.
    http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/reports_research/lethal_injection.html

This is why the over-the-counter supplements are at such a low dosage. Also, potassium supplements can cause GI distress.

Yes, getting nutrients from food is superior to supplements IMO. However, I'd have to eat more than four bananas a day to get the potassium in my prescription supplement - on top of what I already eat.

So, get tested. Work with a doctor.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-potassium

Potassium deficiencies are more common in people who:

Use certain medicines, such as diuretics and certain birth control pills
    Have physically demanding jobs
    Are athletes
    Have health conditions that affect their digestive absorption, such as Crohn's disease
    Have an eating disorder
    Smoke
    Abuse alcohol or drugs

What are the risks of taking potassium?

Side effects. At normal doses, potassium is fairly safe. It may cause an upset stomach. Some people have allergies to potassium supplements.
    Interactions. Potassium supplements may not be safe if you take certain medicines for diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease. Check with your doctor first if you take any medications before you take potassium supplements.
    Warnings. People with kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, Addison's disease, stomach ulcers, or other health problems should never take potassium supplements without talking to a doctor first.
    Overdose. Signs of a potassium overdose include confusion, tingling sensation in the limbs, low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, weakness, and coma. Get emergency medical help immediately.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that my diet contains NO potassium. Not 1 mg. So I went to buy a supplement. MFP suggests getting 3500mg of potassium a day. The only supplement for sale is 50 mg?!! WFT?! What am I supposed to do, chug a bottle a day?! Apparently, if you want more you have to see a doc and get a scrip because people OD on it all the time.

The foods highest in potassium are:

Per 100 grams

1. White Beans = 561 mg
    2. Spinach( and other dark leafy greens) = 558 mg
    3. Potato (WITH SKIN!!) = 535 mg
    4. Dried Apricots = 1162mg
    5 Salmon = 628 mg

Bananas actually rank at the bottom of the list at a measly 358 mg per 100g.

Potassium is found in dairy (although in minute quantities in butter and cheese), meat, vegetables, fruits, and grains. What do you eat?!

Since potassium is not required to be on food labels many entries in the database do not include it. I would consider it far more likely that you've simply happened to pick those entries.

Several years away but labels will change to reflect potassium content of the food; they are removing Vitamin A and C content. FDA indicates it is several years away though :)

I anticipate that. I double check all my entries and correct them if needed. I still find zero potassium in my food. I don't eat dairy, fruit, nuts....
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been told I have potassium defciency & I get horrible leg cramps,especially at night. Coconut water has been a savior for me. I drink a can about an hour before bed & I'm good for the night.
  • titchthetwin
    titchthetwin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    its super important that potassium is monitored by a doctor. too high or too low is really dangerous to your heart. it can cause strange heart beats or heart attacks.