loose skin

Options
kel913
kel913 Posts: 30 Member
So im 100% sure im going to have loose skin at the end of my weight loss as I have an 'apron' and my skin is already loose and flabby round my stomach (probably a combination of two kids and previous weight loss) I know that having loose skin is more than a fair swap for loosing the weight but I worry that I will never look slim because of it! Do any of you have any pictures of your loose skin with and without a top on for comparison? I think this will really help me coming to terms with the fact I will have loose skin! I currently weight 17st (138lb) and have already lost 1st 9lb (23lb) but I was about 21st at my heaviest (altho I was heavily pregnant at the time!) So i still have a fair amount to lose! Thank you :)

Replies

• Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin as well! I cant wait to see what size Ill actually be after hitting goal!
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    In for loose skin:drinker:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    138 and you want to lose 84 pounds. Loose skin won't be a problem but death may be.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure OP meant 238#. 14#=1stone.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    138 and you want to lose 84 pounds. Loose skin won't be a problem but death may be.

It was probably a typo, as a stone is 14 pounds, 17st would be well over 138.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    have a ton of loose skin around that area... I look great in my clothes though... right now my policy is "so what?" Anyone who is lucky enough to see my birthday suit now with saggy skin was also lucky enough to see it all filled out in the flesh... Including family, friends and paramours there ... It doesn't change who I am or how good I feel after losing all that weight...
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good genetics aside, there are ways to help heal the elasticity of the skin without major surgery or big $$$. During the course of my personal weight loss (and having a baby), I reverted to using skin therapy as taught to me in massage therapy. Long story short, I use a combination of coffee scrubs and home made body wraps to help with the sagging.

The key is to combat gravity and the skin's own healing process (which is undoubtedly a slow one). Here's the recipes I use incase you want to try them.

Coffee Scrub:
    Coffee Grounds
    Olive Oil
    Essential Oil (optional, vit E, lavender and clove extracts are nice)

Body Wrap:
    Betonite Clay
    Olive Oil
    Epsom Salt
    (Slather on body or problem areas. Wrap tight with ceran wrap or ace bandages, and either let sit for an hour or go to bed with it on)

Other wrap recipes are stupid simple, as easy as using Vaseline (or something like it) and wrapping yourself up. To the most complex, turmeric, cayenne pepper, coffee, and rice. You'll find the recipe that works best for you. I prefer the one above because it also helps draw out toxins. I've lost inches this way, and they don't come back so long as you continue with your diet and exercise.

Good luck.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think that your age gives you a better chance than some to have some of the skin shrink a lot more than you might think. At the end of your "fat loss journey", yes you will have loose skin especially if you lose it fast (crash diet/starvation style with little to no exercise). I know that you have more to lose than me but I have also had children so was at one point in a similar boat. Exercise will significantly improve your chances (along with a healthy rate of weight loss while still nourishing your body). I have always believed that if it juggles, jiggle it, move it, shake it, make it bounce, let your body know that the loose skin is there. I'm in my early 50's so I notice that my skin is not shrinking like it did when I was your age but I'm not going to let that stop me from trying even now. If it doesn't work, no harm, but since I still have more to lose (again) then I'm just working it out as I go along. I have long term goals... My anniversary is about five & a half months away. That is more than enough time to lose these last 15 or so pounds AND shrink some of this excess skin. After that, my goal will be to continue on trying to shrink the skin (if it is still sagging) by the time I have to renew my driver's license; I want my weight tho match what it said when I last had my photo taken 12 years ago. In other words, this "journey" for me, doesn't end when I lose all the fat. What the heck, I'll still be sticking around to maintain, why not keep going on a different part of the same journey?
  • 9bars
    9bars Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85lbs and have another 26 to go. I started with a huge apron of fat and looked 9 months pregnant in clothes, now it's still there, but much smaller and low down and to reassure you it goes flat weraing fitted trousers or good underwear and no one would know it was there. As it's quite low down I even think I could get away with a bikini with the right shaped briefs. I'm hoping with a few more pounds off it will carry on improving and I get rid of the roll of fat above my waist, which is much more annoying as harder to hide. I lost 6st about 10 years ago and had no loose skin anywhere so you could be ok, don't let it put you off keeping going, I'll take my loose skin over being morbidly obese again any day :) Good luck x
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i have ridiculous amount of lose skin or so i think ...some could still be fat im unsure???im 5 ft 4 age 26 iv gone from 236 pounds to now 141 i have a consultation booked in with surgeon on wednesday my boobs are ruined also i am happy to send pics if you message me with e-mail x i seem to lose inches everywhere besides the belly region i want a surgeons opinion worst comes to worse iv got rid so much i will get it removed
  • moxy28
    moxy28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good genetics aside, there are ways to help heal the elasticity of the skin without major surgery or big $$$. During the course of my personal weight loss (and having a baby), I reverted to using skin therapy as taught to me in massage therapy. Long story short, I use a combination of coffee scrubs and home made body wraps to help with the sagging.

The key is to combat gravity and the skin's own healing process (which is undoubtedly a slow one). Here's the recipes I use incase you want to try them.

Coffee Scrub:
    Coffee Grounds
    Olive Oil

Body Wrap:
    Betonite Clay
    Olive Oil
    Epsom Salt
    (Slather on body or problem areas. Wrap tight with ceran wrap or ace bandages, and either let sit for an hour or go to bed with it on)

Other wrap recipes are stupid simple, as easy as using Vaseline (or something like it) and wrapping yourself up. To the most complex, turmeric, cayenne pepper, coffee, and rice. You'll find the recipe that works best for you. I prefer the one above because it also helps draw out toxins. I've lost inches this way, and they don't come back so long as you continue with your diet and exercise.

Good luck.

This is so Helpful! Thank you so much!
  • ohmyjiggle
    ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So, someone mentioned something about age being a factor in helping with elasticity, I had a baby at 16 and Im 24 now and still have loose skin. I posted this in the summer, because I lost all my weight awhile ago without exercising. And still would like too tighten up because I am flabby. In my posts you cant really see all my stomach skin. Were the jean covers the pelvic area I have an "apron" that's wrinkled of stretchmarks. Pretty much like crinkled up paper. I was around 236 when I had my son, he's 8 now. I just started getting into the gym as of this week because of my hectic life (excuses, excuses). As of this morning I am 153 lbs but I usually go up to around 156 depending on the day. My loose skin bothers me, im not even gonna lie. I cant work colorful bottoms without my little skin apron thing showing. say... a pretty silky summer dress. Certain colors, cuts and styles just don't work. I am happy about my weight, but I am constantly fighting with myself trying to find things that don't show my extra skin. Most people cant tell, but its there.

Heres my post with my stomach pictures
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1094105-any-exercise-fitness-gurus-really-gross-belly-pics-warned
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of loose skin and know that I always will. I'm ok with it. I was 240 lb at age 16, 307 lb at age 32, and 194 at age 37 (current) and combined with my genetics that is pretty much a guarantee. I don't have photos to share but I do think I look drastically better in clothes even with the loose skin, after losing weight. It does shrink SOME the more you lose, even if you are like me and your skin has a tendency to be saggy rather than just bouncing back like some of the MFP'ers success stories. It's maybe not ideal but it IS a huge improvement.
  • snoodled
    snoodled Posts: 57
    Options

Coffee Scrub:
    Coffee Grounds
    Olive Oil

Body Wrap:
    Betonite Clay
    Olive Oil
    Epsom Salt

Good luck.

OMG. This is exactly what I've been using for my lose skin and problem areas. It works. I got both recipes from a Spa Secrets book I was reading. The Coffee promotes circulation, Olive Oil moisturizes and the Vitamin E helps promote cell regeneration/turn over. I love this scrub.

The recipe for a wrap I use in my hot detox bath for all over my body. The bentonite clay is known for removing toxins from the body. I use it in my facial masks as well.

It's important to be consistent with these treatments otherwise they wont be effective.
  • jazzy227
    jazzy227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    have a ton of loose skin around that area... I look great in my clothes though... right now my policy is "so what?" ... It doesn't change who I am or how good I feel after losing all that weight...
    Same for me. I'm so happy to be a normal size again, that the loose skin is a minor issue. My doc told me it takes about 2 years for us older gals' skin to shrink back up, and it probably won't ever shrink up completely. The challenge is keeping the weight off so the skin has a chance to shrink up! So maybe in a couple of years I may decide to do surgery, but for right now, I'm not stressing about it.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    My body is wrecked. I've learned to accept it somewhat, but the fact is I still want to lose fat but it's going from places it doesn't need to and it's making me look out of proportion. Surgery is always an option I guess but I'd rather just have to smush into my clothes.
  • jelenelson
    Options
    Way to go! I should just reread your results and your attitude every time I worry about this.
  • kel913
    kel913 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)

Yes sorry it was a typo, im am most definitely not 138lb!! Im 238lb! :)

The thought of loose skin will definitely not stop me from losing the weight I just worry that I still wont like the way I look, even though it will be a dramatic difference to what I look like now! My boobs have stated to work their way south and flatten out too! I think im just annoyed with mtself that I have put myself in this situation especially when I was so active in my late teens!

I have thought about surgery if my loose skin is really bad but we would like at least one more baby so I wouldnt want it doing before then but it might be several years before we try again for baby no 3 so maybe/hopefully I will just learn to love the way I look!
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You have age on your side.

Ensure you are losing at a reasonable rate and MOST IMPORTANTLY you have a solid ongoing, progressive resistance training routine. No amount of wrapping will tighten up skin that has lost its elasticity after a loss of over 100 lbs. the skin that will tighten up is skin that has not lost it all.

I had surgery to remove some lose skin around my lower ab area following my 110lbs weight loss and had decent body comp. I recommend you do everything possible before you resort to surgery. Lift heavy, eat properly, finish your baby making and THEN make an assessment to whether it is needed.

One other thing...do not let the possibility of lose skin stop you from achieving your weight loss goals!!!! Lose wisely and your skin issue will hopefully be minimal. Oh and Don't for ONE minute rely on creams and potions!!! If they truly solved our loose skin issues the plastic surgery industry, particularly tummy tucks, body lifts etc. would not be as successful!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!