How often do you eat "treats?"

Options
Hi there,

I don't really post on here but I am hoping for some advice. I am 5'8" and weigh 174. I am a size 4/6/small so I know I must have a fair amount of muscle mass to be able to weigh this much at this size. That being said, many of my clothes are getting tight and I would like to continue losing to get to around 155. I previously went down to about 146, so I know it should be possible! I am not happy right now with how fit my body looks.

I have calculated my BMR at 1550 and my TDEE somewhere between 2000-2100. I have set my daily calories to 1650, and I eat back my exercise calories. I use a HRM to calculate exercise calories, and a food scale to weigh everything I am eating. I work out usually 4 days a week, doing a combination of pilates, yoga, barre classes and cardio intervals.

I have been stuck since the beginning of the year. I dropped to 169 and now I am back up to 174. I am tracking everything that I eat and drinking 12-16 cups of water daily. I also am a teacher so I do not have a sedentary job. I do realize that the quality of the calories matters even more than the quantity. That being said, how often should I be able to eat "treats," as opposed to snacks that are healthier between meal foods? I usually eat some type of chocolate every day, as well as a carby snack like chips. I do measure out the appropriate portion. Here is a sample menu:

B - greek yogurt with fruit or 2 eggs scrambled with milk or hardboiled eggs and a string cheese (breakfast is small because I have to eat my lunch 2.5 hours later)

L - yogurt with fruit; string cheese; turkey slices or turkey pepperoni; low sodium soup with parmesan cheese

I try not to eat starchy carbs during breakfast and lunch

D - roasted chickpeas; pasta with chicken sausage and vegetables

S - peanut butter m&ms; tortilla chips with salsa

My breakdown for today was - 58g fat, 205g carbs, 93g protein

I am hitting the appropriate ranges for macro nutrients each day - I also try to come in under on the carb target, and eat more protein instead. I am not having these treats at the expense of having healthy foods. I am kind of at a loss as to what I should try next. I try to eat mostly whole foods as opposed to packaged ones, and when they are packaged I am usually eating options with the fewest number of ingredients possible (triscuits if I have crackers, for example - 3 ingredients) Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Replies

• ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch taller than you and a couple pounds heavier, but my job is far more sedentary than yours--and I eat more than 1650 NET. I don't know how many pounds per week to lose you have set, but considering you only have about 8 pounds to go, I would go for half a pound.

As for snacks, nothing wrong with having one (or two) daily. IIFYM and all that. If you want healthier snacks, especially since you were mentioning being low on protein, look into a good natural peanut butter and have it with some apples. Best snack ever! Salty and sweet. :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If they fit your calories and macros, treats are fine - like you, I have a some form of chocolate most days, as long as I hit my protein, I'm not concerned.
  • gbbmore
    gbbmore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm glad there are other who eat as many treats as I do :) Does anyone have any suggestions then, for what I should change so the scale doesn't keep going in the wrong direction?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Everyday!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah...basically every day. I have a major sweet tooth. I eat everything...in moderation. There are some days that are FULL of treats and other days where it's just whole grains, lean proteins and salads. I tend to look at my overall week and throw in some fruits and vegetables if I know I'm lacking in those areas. It's all a constant balancing act. I'm sure if I were stricter that I'd be at goal...but for like a minute and then gain again. I'd rather enjoy the journey and slowly lose...VERY slowly...versus quick losses and gains all of the time.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Today's treats are oreos, pizza,beer,and rum.....usual treats are mini bags/packages of chips,cookies,or ice cream...its working so far as long as I count it.If it stops working,then I will adjust as needed.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    With the TDEE method you shouldn't be eating back your exercise calories seeing as your level of activity is included in the calculations.

I imputed your stats into the scoobi calculator and chose a TDEE-10% seeing as you have a fairly low amount to lose and put your activity level at 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise.

The results were a projected calorie goal of 2200cals per day.

If you're weighing everything that you're consuming I honestly don't know what to suggest seeing as 2200 cals is a lot more than 1650....
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I usually reward myself with 100 calories worth of treats each day. Tonight it was 10 peanut M&M's. Heaven!
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dole makes frozen chocolate covered strawberries that are delish! They come 4 to a pouch and are 100 calories. I have 1 or 2 a day, just depends on my day, mood, busy or bored. The chocolate is very thin on the strawberries but it is dark and:tongue:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Everyday!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    When I am mindful of them and really want them. I usually sit with the feeling for a bit to see if I really want something in particular. I don't eat out of random candy jars or eat things people give me or cakes at others' birthdays. I just eat a treat if it's something I'm really craving. I find the more treats I eat, the more I want, so keeping them as "treats" (special) is a good fit *for me.*

However, I'm not sure what your treats have to do with your lack of weight loss. It seems like you are on the right track with your calories. Puzzling.
  • Focusisfab
    Focusisfab Posts: 140
    Options
    I eat a handful of m&ms everyday and do not count them.
  • gbbmore
    Options
    When I calculated my TDEE I did it assuming no exercise, because I wanted to be able to eat those calories back. Plus, if for some reason I am unable to exercise as much one week, I didn't want that to become a problem. It really is very puzzling to me. I've been really focused on eating this way for the past several years, and I've never really had a problem like this. Last year I had herniated discs in my back, and I still have sciatica as a result of that. I had to stop exercising completely for more than six months. During that time I basically maintained my weight, which I was fine with. And I know that 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen, anyway. It's frustrating because I feel like my eating has to be PERFECT or else I won't be able to lose anything. Maybe I should try changing the batteries in my scale :) Although I can tell by the way my clothes fit that I am not losing. I almost feel like an optical illusion, because in clothes I can always make myself look nice, but underneath is a totally different story. I am just able to squish and stuff myself into things and "trick" people, almost. I am not comfortable and I want the outside to reflect all the work I put in in the gym and in the kitchen to cook and prepare healthy meals!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Try lowering cals a bit
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat a number of snacks in the afternoon and generally finish with a small cup of ice cream. I make sure to meet my protein goal since I intend to keep all of my muscle mass. From there, I attempt to be lower than my fat goal (but not too low) and I don't really care about my carb levels since I'm not scared of carbs.

Bascially, once you find the right amount of calories to eat for your body and goals, you'll lose. Experiement with higher calories and lower calories (not too low though, seriously).

And everyone should always look here for advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to have something chocolate every day, even if it's just a protein bar at the end of the day. But at least I've pretty much got myself down to one treat a day rather than two or three. Or sometimes I can even eat half the bar and put the other half away for later. In terms of people who go for weeks without chocolate, I don't know how they do it. Lol. I'm going to start looking up some low carb chocolate recipes to help cure my insatiable chocolate crave.
  • gbbmore
    Options
    bump in case anyone else has suggestions. thx