Best Fitness Accessory to Buy?

Options

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Turbo blender. I use my Blendtec every day and I don't have to take it apart to clean. Smoothies for everyone!
  • andrewh2010
    andrewh2010 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scale, measuring spoons/cups...
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the HRM- I'm obsessed with mine for workouts! It's a great motivator to see how many cals you are burning while you work out. I have the Polar FT4 an it's been great!

Do you feel the polar is pretty acurate? I just bought a polar RS100 and used it for the first time this morning. It said 420 burned for 40 minutes of circuit training. Does that sound right?

It's about using the correct tool for the job. An HRM is most accurate for steady state work or where the intervals are sustained, it's really not appropriate for resistance training or circuit training.

For me it's noticeably less accurate if I'm doing intervals of less than 400 metre, but it's consistent for 15km runs.

If you use it for the wrong thing it's going to give you the wrong answer. From what you've described that looks too high in terms of assessed measure.

Agree on the correct tool for the job. When I run I have on my FitBit, my HRM and my phone with the Endomondo app. The FitBit is for calories burned, the HRM is for staying in whatever training zone I am doing, and Endomondo for pace and distance information.

I'll add an echo on the correct tool for the job bit.

I don't have a fitbit, wanted one, but didn't really see a need for it.

With my HRM I can monitor my heart rate, target zones, work on active recovery (I'm a cyclist so being able to lower my heartbeat while still riding is important) and effort.

I have a Polar H7, pairs with my phone, which I also have endomondo on to track my bike rides.

I don't need a fitbit to motivate me ... I've got plenty of motivation. The only thing remotely interesting to me about the fitbit is the sleep tracker, but I've found if I work out hard enough, I sleep great. :)
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hands-down, slam-dunk, no contest: if you have some extra money to spend on your fitness program, spend it on quality coaching/instruction.

There is no gadget in the world that is anywhere near as valuable as having an expert outside eye look at what you are doing, how you are doing it, and help you better achieve your goals.

Bonus even better: if you can join a fitness group where you get group energy plus ongoing coaching.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Ooo thats a good one. Was going to agree with the power cage but I think this one beats it by just a little.

1. Kitchen scale.
    2. power cage.
    3 Best of Pantera.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have both a FitBit and a HRM. The FitBit is good for capturing the extra calories burned in 'daily' life above and beyond the MFP sedentary setting I use. The HRM gives me a better estimate of cardio burns. It also provides info on burns for non walking-running activities like cycling and swimming.

I wear the FitBit every day. I have found it has motivated me to take the stairs and walk more. I do not wear the HRM on every workout. For example I ride my stationary bike daily. My HRM calculated burns are usually anywhere from 310 to 370 calories. If I don't wear the HRM I log it as 320 calories.

I think it is a matter for picking the right tool for the job. If you are trying to get a better estimate of burns during your cardio workouts then go with the HRM. If you are trying to get more activity into your everyday life, and track that activity, then go for the FitBit.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say "nothing" until you know what type of exercise/training you want to do and what you want to accomplish. No point in spending money just for spending money.

Hands-down, slam-dunk, no contest: if you have some extra money to spend on your fitness program, spend it on quality coaching/instruction.

I agree with these responses. Take one step at a time, learn to eat healthy, weigh and measure.

Find that activity that you like. You will only stick with a routine that you enjoy. Learn how to do it right. Quality over quantity is more important right now.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    a squat rack.

and Dana Lynn Bailey- but I'm not sure I can afford that.

You beat me to it.

As such, I'll say: power cage (or similar).
    Water bottle
  • weightlifter01
    weightlifter01 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The basics are best...a good pair of runners, proper fitting clothes ,and a workout plan. Beyond that, a HRM to track your calories burned, and if you lift - gloves.

It's all I need...and it seems to work.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga mat and my weights !!

Im interested in this thread with in regards to the HRM

I dont mind getting a new toy but I dont want to go crazy on it.
    I walk and jog ocassionally and my job is physically demanding.

What do you recommend as a good purchase for this and is affordable?
  • weightlifter01
    weightlifter01 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Seeing as your a fellow Canuck...go to Costco and get a Timex HRM for about $88. Or go into Niagara Falls/Buffalo and I am sure you will find an even better deal. An American friend said she bought a Polar 4(?) at USA Best Buy - not sure of price though.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Seeing as your a fellow Canuck...go to Costco and get a Timex HRM for about $88. Or go into Niagara Falls/Buffalo and I am sure you will find an even better deal. An American friend said she bought a Polar 4(?) at USA Best Buy - not sure of price though.

thanks! much appreiciated :)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    For me & YMMV depending on what you do and want it for but for me it was my Fitbit and my Polar FT7 HRM.
    Fitbits on me 24/7 and the HRM when I'm walking/running outside & on my treadmill & exercise bike.

I don't do gyms so have sets of weights (dumbbell & barbell) and weight bench, kettlebell, bands, Wii Fit and other work out DVDS.
  • Chewbacca262
    Options
    I'm keeping an eye on the Samsung Gear Fit which has a HRM built in and should be out by April?

http://reviews.cnet.com/samsung-gear-fit/
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    FitBit, hands down. Unless you are looking to train for something like a race, the FitBit will do a great job of tracking the calories out side of the equation, and likely much more accurately than a heart rate moniter can.

I used to think that way, but the more and more people I see that are stalled on weight loss using those, it makes me hesitant to recommend one. That being said, I haven't used one so I don't really know. Just seems they overcalculate for everyone. I absolutely could be wrong though.

In reality, I don't think either really matter all that much.

The reality is that you don't know...everything you said is assumptions..
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    if Iou don't have an HRM, I'd definitely invest in one. I previously got a cheap one (Iron Man Timex brand) and I learned later that it was telling me over double my actual calorie count. I have since gotten a Polar FT7 (it was only very slightly more expensive than the Polar FT4 on Amazon) and it has really informed my weight loss.

As for actual exercise equipment, it depends on what you want to do. Seriously. If you're really looking for cardio, then you don't need much other than the HRM, though you could try to find a cheap treadmill on Craigs List.

One of the great deals out there right now is from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Utility-Bench-and-CAP-Barbell-Rubber-Medicine-Ball-Value-Bundle/29406983
    You can get a medicine ball at your chosen weight AND a decent weight bench for $50 (delivered free to your local Walmart).

I also really like my 8 Lbs. weighted ball, much like this: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000HLYOHC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=NAGER54TXGZF&coliid=IEGEURBOS773H You can use it as a weight while you're still working with lower weights. It's even fun to toss between you and a friend (my coworker and I actually spend about 10-30 mins a week doing this during break time and you'd be surprised how high your heart rate can get when tossing it high back and forth.)

Also, a yoga/exercise/body ball (big, blown up ball) can give you a serious amount of workouts if you Google accordingly.

There's also a whole series of workouts based on your body weight and requiring very little, if any equipment. Try searching for things like "you are your own gym", "convict workout", etc. You can also check out this awesome site: http://neilarey.com/100-no-equipment-workouts.html You can download and print the book for free or pay a super low amount on Amazon to get a printed version here: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1844819809/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HRHCYZZ45D5M&coliid=II5X49C9J52G2
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga mat and my weights !!

Im interested in this thread with in regards to the HRM

I dont mind getting a new toy but I dont want to go crazy on it.
    I walk and jog ocassionally and my job is physically demanding.

What do you recommend as a good purchase for this and is affordable?

You can buy a pretty affordable pedometer that simply tracks your steps. Or you can buy one that is a little fancier that gives your calories burned. They're great for measuring both jogging and walking and would let you know how active you are at work. I love using mine and (since I try to do the 10,000 steps a day thing) I'm always wearing it.
  • reductoo
    reductoo Posts: 4
    Options
    A SANDBAG! I cannot stress this enough. It is far better than dumbells or barbells, in my opinion. It can load up from 10 lbs..to 300 or so. It's softer than dumbbells/barbells. It's more fun. Just one piece of equipment you need. That is it. You can do cardio, weight training or both with it. It is the best piece of equipment
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If they count, properly-fitted running shoes.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best accessory to invest in. I'm not talking cute running shoes or tops, etc. I mean what are the merits to investing in heart rate watches and the like.

I'm on the path to becoming more fit and healthy and I've been going to the gym for the last 2 months and seeing okay results - but my brother has just gotten me a gift card for Sport Chek for my birthday and I want to spend it on something that will really help my progress and make a difference in my routine.

Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated! :)

verza gripp pro series

nike romaleos 2 volt lifting shoes

Schiek Lever Competition Power Lifting Belt