3 months to 10k?

Options
If I started running now (I haven't done any running in about 3-4 years but could easily do a 7 minute mile) would it be possible to do a 10K in 3 months time if I go out 3-4 times a week?

Replies

• jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. for many that would be o, my hubby entered a 10k race for me (I was going to do it but got injured) and had only 3-4 practice runs and got a very good time on the day 53 mins (well good for a man in 40s that does not run regularly) but he does play squash several times a week, does dog walks every day and has a physical job! Me, I followed c25k and got there but then the body started to protest as I tried to up it to 10k and I ended up injured so need a lot longer to get there than 3 months. Really will depend on your fitness levels, how well you adapt to the new stresses on your body and is more than just getting out there and practising but yes it could be very possible as long as you are prepared to listen to your body and scale back if you need to or be willing to part walk the course on the day.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Here is a piece of string - it'll take you that long ;).
    HOWEVER, from what you've said and going by that you're only looking to lose 10lb, I'd have thought you'll be fine, accepting it may not be the best 10k time ever.

(Weight mentioned because someone that's got say 100lb over a 'healthy' weight is going to have to work massively harder, especially on hills. My cardio has improved a good bit recently, but a fair bit of that may just be weight loss.)

Only way to really know is to try. In the end, 4mph is a fast walk and will give around an hour and a half for a 10k - you'll see plenty of people finishing in that kinda time on them often, because they've run too fast, got tired and had to take a break.

I did a 10k race route earlier today as a 'reccy' for an actual route with a group that had some quite slow people. Despite stops explaining the route and so on, everyone managed it an hour and a half.
  • Trying2Recover
    Options
    overall I want to lose about 40lbs but it seems more doable if I set smaller targets :P

thank you for your replies. they're appreciated.