Sore from working out...

Options
I have become obsessed with working out. I love to lift weights. I love that sore feeling I get when I push myself. Well my husband told me the other day that when your body is sore from working out it's a good thing b/c your metabolism is higher then.

I was just curious if this was accurate??

Replies

• trent_sluiter
    Options
    Your body is sore because you have caused tears in your muscle fibers which your body will heal and become stronger, that's how you achieve muscle growth. Your body will need more nutrients to support this healing and growth which will increase your metabolism so your husband is correct!

Keep up the good work!
  • Leekc926
    Options
    I would say that is correct, but not correct. What's actually happening is you're burning more calories because your body is working diligently to repair those muscles you've damaged by working out. This doesn't actually make your metabolism higher, but burning more calories means better losing weight faster (in theory).
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    The soreness thing is actually incorrect and I hope someone that knows about it makes mention of it. I read about DOMS earlier when someone was talking about the soreness and how they felt it was a good thing and meant they were working harder or whatever. Hopefully azdak will chime in.
  • trent_sluiter
    Options
    I should have mentioned in my previous post that soreness of your muscles does not indicate whether a workout is good or bad. It just means you pushed your body to something your body is not used to. It's not a bad or good thing, but you have to be careful not to always try and achieve this soreness because it is not sustainable and you may end up hurting yourself trying to acheive it all the time.

Here is a good article on the topic:

http://www.intense-workout.com/muscle_soreness.html