Eating Right with Allergies

Options
Hi All,
I have Oral Allergy Syndrome which prevents me from eating fresh, raw fruits and veggies. I can eat lettuce and tomatoes only because I have done so for ages. Everything else can cause an allergic reaction. If I boil or in some other way cook the veggies/fruit, I can eat them.

I eat as healthy as I can but, as you can imagine, snacking is a nightmare for me. Meal time is easy and I eat clean healthy meals. I'm looking for recommendations on healthy foods I can eat that won't cause an allergic reaction. I currently eat Clif bars and Special K protein bars for snacks. I'm getting sick of those after a year though. I also drink some supplement drinks post-workout.

I'm in the 3rd phase of P90X3 and plan to start the program again after this round is complete.

Any advice on good clean snack foods would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!! :smile:

Replies

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My husband has this too. No raw fruits and veggies period. Honestly, he doesn't eat much of it because he gets so sick. Snacks are things like greek yogurt, cheese, and other dairy mainly. Veggies at dinner have to be very well cooked. Can you have peanut butter? Peanut butter on whole grain toast could be a nice change of pace. Beef jerky is yummy (high in sodium, but good on protein). How bad is the OAS? Some people do also okay with fruit that has been frozen for awhile. You do what you have to do - is it ideal? No, but it's better than anaphylaxis. Good luck!
  • rdsxfn
    rdsxfn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can eat peanut butter. That's a plus! I'll work that into my diet. I frankly forgot about peanut butter.

I'm not sure how severe my allergy is at this point. I haven't challenged myself in over 20 years. 2 years ago I had an allergy test done and it confirmed all of the allergies that I have. I pressed the doctor and asked him how dangerous it would be if I decided to try a piece of fruit. He told me the only way to know would be to give it a shot and to make sure I have my epi pen close by.

Well he's a braver soul than I am HA! I've just considered fresh raw fruit and veggies as a no-no for me. I will give it a shot with freezing the fruit though. That's a really good idea and should take care of the keocytes (sp?) I'm allergic to.

Thanks for responding! Some good ideas!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    No problem. It can be rough and limiting with that allergy, and a lot of people don't understand that it really does encompass a HUGE amount of produce. I just thought of another - what about edamame? They sell them in little individual steamer packs at most places - they are quick and have a lot of nutrition in them.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I get this too but not so extensively. Just kiwifruit and oranges.
    You could try precooking a selection of veges (perhaps zucchini and carrots) and packing them for snacks.
  • hf91
    hf91 Posts: 23
    Options
    I feel your pain! I live off of the steamer bags of veggies. Couple minutes in the microwave and I have a healthy snack ready. I also microwave apple slices with a little cinnamon and splenda if I want something sweet. Microwave popcorn is also great for easy snacking and can be made ahead of time if I know I need to prep before hand. If I'm traveling or don't have access to a microwave I will munch on string cheese or greek yogurt. Jerkey is also great if you're not worried about the sodium. I like Nutrigrain bars and Special K bars as well. Hope this helped!
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Reading with interest.

I too have oral allergy but I also am allergic to all nuts so I get so frustrated when all the diet sites tell me to have apple slices with peanut butter for a snack or a handful of almonds.:noway: