Couch potato to 5k???

Options
Has anyone followed this and had success? I'm really out of shape, but I have always wanted to be a runner and haven't been able to run for longer than 2 minutes at a time since I was 13! I'd like to get fit, but I think having a goal like doing a 5k would be a great accomplishment for me!

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/ <<< lots of good info here

I have never been a runner either but I know it would be a more efficient use of my time that I set aside for exercise - I currently walk and would consider doing this - I guess it's never to late to start :flowerforyou:
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7, and I'm loving it. There's a bunch of free phone apps, that basically beep or buzz when it's time to run or walk. It'll seriously kick your butt, so go slow!
  • irapino65
    irapino65 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    C25K is an awesome program. I used it but didn't complete the whole thing. I highly recommend it.

Rick
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes. In fact, I just ran my first 5K this past Wednesday. My second yesterday.

When I started the program I couldn't run for 90 seconds straight without just dying and not being able to breathe... this week alone I ran 3.25 miles, and 3.1 miles without stopping - 9:35 and 10:00 mile respectively.

It works if you follow it and are dedicated to sticking with it. I'm headed for the 10K next. (running an 8k in April) I highly recommend the "5K for Pink" app for iPhone or Android.

Cheers,
    Ben
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I used it/am still using it! I started it two times before this one and had to stop because of injuries. I was seriously out of shape. Third time was a charm. I am on week 6 day 2 and I am loving it. Do it! You won't regret it!
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I really want to start using this .... Its my goal for this month to start jogging
  • rjoyn
    rjoyn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times and had lots of success (the only problem was not keeping up with it after week 9) - I'd definitely recommend it as a way to get started! I went from not being able to run for a minute to completing a 10k the other month, so I say give it a go!

The NHS website has some great podcasts which tell you when to run and walk, and provides some useful tips as well: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • dworth1226
    Options
    I have always wanted to ne a runner too...I know a lot of people w ho have success with this program...one of my goals this year is to run a 5k and . Plan on using the app.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I don't use C25K, but I have heard lots of great things about it. I'm a little more active than the first few weeks allowed for so I decided to train on my own. If you don't do a lot of running or walking normally I'm told it can be really great though.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used it years ago to start running, and it was amazing! I'm using it again now to gradually get back into running after my second child. Honestly can't recommend it enough. I have asthma as well and it vastly improved my cardiovascular abilities because of the gradual (yet attainable) pace.
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I got to week 4 then stopped for 2 weeks...just restarted week 2 again but yeah it works!! I'm not a walker/runner myself but the little voice does egg you on nicely to finish the 30 min! go for it!!:bigsmile:
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I used it last year to train for my first 5K. Ran it in November. It's a good program.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got about 5 weeks in to a c25k program. Life got in the way and I dropped it. That said, in week 4 and 5, I decided to "redo" some days before progressing because my body couldn't handle it. I did that based on the recommendation of others who also had found it got to be too demanding before they were able to handle it. If you can't "do" what is required one day, repeat it and accomplish it before going on to the next day so you don't get further and further behind.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I completed it in February of last year. Never ran before the program and fell in love with it along the way. I ran my first half marathon just 8 months later. I found the podcasts found on the nhs.uk site especially helpful. The were hosted by a girl named Laura that offered tips and lots encouragement along the way. She also told you when to run and when to walk with music in between.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

The biggest advice I can give to those starting this program is this: during the running portions if you can go any slower, you are NOT going slow enough. Really. You're meant to go at a VERY light jog. The whole point is building up your endurance, so to doesn't matter at all how fast you go. Speed comes later.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I'm only about to start week 3 but I'm seeing loads of progress in a very short time with the program. I got the Zombies, run! app for my iPhone and it adds a lot of fun to the training. Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Completely possible, assuming you have no medical issues that would prevent you from running. I started it in November, and it took me until early February to complete (sometimes I re-ran a day, especially in weeks 4-6, and sometimes I just couldn't fit three runs in every week!) but I completely shocked myself. From being killed dead by one minute of running, to running for 35 minutes without wanting to die! (And now I'm training for a 10k, because running well and truly hooked me.)
  • tuneout
    tuneout Posts: 12
    Options
    It's hard. I was never a runner before I tried it, but I wanted to be. It was actually my first venture into weight loss since I wanted to get active. It did make me a better runner, and it turned me into a person who actually enjoys running, but I never finished the program and often times it took me a couple weeks to successfully complete one week. It's all about building endurance and people go at it at different rates so don't automatically assume you'll be able to complete the program in the time it suggests!

I'm hoping to restart the program when the weather is nice enough here to run outside, but if I could tell myself then what I know now, if you are truly the stereotypical out of shape couch potato I think strength training and cross training are good to bring into the program, and go at it at your own pace instead of getting discouraged that you're not keeping up to the app's schedule. And also, invest in a good pair of running shoes :)
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just finished it and agree it's an excellent program. There are also apps you can download that helps you track your time and run/walk intervals. I'm working on my speed a bit, then it's on to the 10K trainer!
  • cbeanies
    cbeanies Posts: 91
    Options
    I did it and loved it. It really is a great program the way it slowly builds your endurance. I could only do 2.5 miles in the 30 minutes when I got to the end. That was around Christmas I think. I was going to work on speed and then try the bridge to 10k but After we have been having such bad weather here that I haven't been back outside since. Either ice, snow, or frigid temps. Hopefully the weather gets better soon and I can continue. I'm looking forward to it. If you do it you will get to a point when you get crabby if you miss a run. Also there is a c25k group on mfp if you haven't checked it out yet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Has anyone followed this and had success? I'm really out of shape, but I have always wanted to be a runner and haven't been able to run for longer than 2 minutes at a time since I was 13! I'd like to get fit, but I think having a goal like doing a 5k would be a great accomplishment for me!

If you're interested in trying it have a look through the discussion in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k where you'll get a good amount of advice.

Personally I used the NHS podcast programme - http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx