Omg really FRUSTRATED!

Options
I'm trying to start exercising but it's just an on and off thing. Some days I do it and some days I don't. The days that I do exercise just feel like crap. I want to do cardio but the cardio exercises all require a bunch of jumping around and heavy movement and I can't do that without making a bunch of racket in my bedroom and everyone's going to wonder what the heck I'm doing. I want to exercise so bad but I have no motivation or support. Super frustrated. I have no money for a gym and neither is there one in my area, and I can't get any equipment...

I don't think there's anyone out there in my footsteps.

Replies

• gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Everybody on here is trying to get fit within the confines or restrictions of their own life. For some, the challenge is squeezing in exercise with small children at home. For others, the challenges are physical, like injuries or whatever. For others, the problem is time. Nearly everybody has some restrictons that make it harder for them, but they find ways to overcome or work around these obstacles in a way that works best for them. The key is to find what works for you.

If jumping and making racket is not a good option for you, try googling "low impact cardio" and you'll find tons of quieter options. A lot of these are designed for people with knee or ankle problems, so they're great cardio but don't involve 'jumping around and heavy movement". Even taking a nice brisk walk counts as cardio, and is a really great exercise option for tons of people here. Dancing can be fun cardio too.

Even if you end up doing something noisy...if everybody wonders what you're doing, just tell them. Exercise doesn't need to be some silent closeted secret thing.

And for weights, you can always do squats and all kinds of other things too. And if you can't afford weights, try using soup cans or whatever else is handy and available.

If exercise is making you 'just feel like crap', maybe don't push quite so hard yet? Or maybe tough it out till it gets a little easier? Or maybe try finding an exercise that you don't totally hate. If you find something you like, you're more likely to stick with it.

The point is, if you want to see the obstacles, that's what you'll see. But if you open your mind a bit, you'll find that you have just as many options as everybody else on here. You just need to find what works best for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    You're an adult. Find a way to make it work.

You are an adult, right?

We all have the same problems. No one can do this for you. Suck it up, Buttercup.
  • Smallbluepebble
    Smallbluepebble Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Walk...!!! Walk outside...! It's free, requires nothing more than sensible shoes and you can walk at a fair old clack and build up a sweat. You do not need to gad about, jump, bounce or fly to lose weight.

Just move more - simple!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    "Poor me" attitudes are poison. First things first - get rid of that attitude! Everything in the world is not working against you. Cardio is not all about jumping up and down. And you don't even have to do cardio for weight loss. Look up body weight strength training and start with that. And go outside and walk, as was already stated. Even if all you can do is walk atound the house. This IS something you can do!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you only have 5 lb. to lose. So you need to be focused on building muscle, not losing weight. And that means exercise. Walk, run, ride a bike, take classes, lift weights…
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Walk...!!! Walk outside...! It's free, requires nothing more than sensible shoes and you can walk at a fair old clack and build up a sweat. You do not need to gad about, jump, bounce or fly to lose weight.

Just move more - simple!

THIS!!
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with Smallbluepebb. I had a stroke 5 years ago and have some damage on my left side, so exercising is difficult, but i got a fitbit and now walk about 6 miles a day and thats not fast walking and i stay within my calories allowed and since last jan 4, 2013, i as of today have lost 105 pounds. you dont have to do anything extreme. i did it all by just walking, no gyms..
  • neumann3232
    Options
    People will wonder what the HECK you're doing in there... Yes, they will.
    Let 'em.
    Tell 'em.

You should never hang your head in shame while doing something good for yourself.

That's pride and ego messing with you. All that has to be smashed. Stand up tall and be proud of the decision you have made. Tell everyone what you're doing and you might find inspiration or even a workout partner.
    Asking for help is one of the most difficult things I have ever done in numerous aspects of my life, but it is the only way I get the help I need.
    I remember when I made excuses too... and my life stayed the same.
    IF YOU WANNA GET SOMETHING DIFFERENT, YOU GOTTA DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Just move more - simple!

^ this
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You're an adult. Find a way to make it work.

You are an adult, right?

We all have the same problems. No one can do this for you. Suck it up, Buttercup.

^This.

I wish there were a "like" button in the forums.
  • patriciaprice334
    patriciaprice334 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know all of this is meant to be well-meaning advice, but it's not helping. I'm looking for encouragement, not bashing. Maybe you're not bashing, maybe you are. But, I'd love to have the kind of encouragement that everybody else on here seems to be getting. It's possible I expected too much of anyone on here.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Stop jumping around and go walk.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    nevermind.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Just move more - simple!

This! Go outside and walk. Heck, I walk in figure 8's around my house on yucky days. Sometimes my kids do it with me and other times I wait until they are asleep. Easy peasy!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Completely unrelated question: how tall are you OP? Your ticker says your goal weight is 94 lbs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am curious too as to how tall you are.

And does it have to be cardio? Could you do some body weight resistance routines instead? Some good ones I'd recommend looking into are Nerdfitness, Convict Conditioning, and You Are Your Own Gym.

Here's a link to Nerdfitness. Scroll down for the free programs. http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/#resources-apps
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Completely unrelated question: how tall are you OP? Your ticker says your goal weight is 94 lbs.

This is a great question.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Honey---being human means solving problems. You have to put your mind to it and maybe get creative. You'll find that if you solve this problem for yourself you'll feel good and motivated. This is good advice for almost everything in your life. Learn to beat the odds and you'll be a winner.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. For me, it's been walking. I plan my routes on Google Maps and increase the distance when it gets too easy.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Motivation is BS
    Either you want it or you don't