c25k running program - treadmill speed???

Options
Hi there. I really want to get into running. I did the c25k program awhile back. I enjoyed it but found it hard. I think I was doing too fast of speed for the running portion. I'm going start training on the treadmill than outside. What speed on treadmill do you recommend? Any suggestions?

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Go slow. Now a little slower. Whatever speed you choose you should be able to speak a complete sentence. If you can sing you should go a little faster.
  • Goldensun2014
    Goldensun2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh good to know I was going fast so I couldn't complete a full sentence. That's what I need to change for next time. Thanks :)
  • mochapygmy
    Options
    I also started out too fast, I think a lot of people do. I'm still running along at my snail's pace but I'm doing it. I also was breathing a Lot better after I dropped my shoulders down and back. Opened my lungs right up. Enjoy!
  • Goldensun2014
    Options
    Good to know about chest and shoulders as well. Do you run outside or on the treadmill?
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a SLOW runner LOL. When I first started the C25K I would walk around 2.8 and run around 3.5-3.8 but worked my way to walking 3.0-3.5 and running 4.5-5.0....that was for the short runs. The long runs I usually stayed around 4.0-4.2 steady pace for running.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just wrapped up C25k this afternoon. I kept the walking speeds at 3.6 and the runs at 4.6 or 4.8. I tried to keep the pace at a challenging speed but one I could continue. Good luck with the program!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you can think you go slower, then you need to go slow. Speed comes later. The speed should be right where if you go slower you will be walking. That may or may not be faster than you can walk. Some people start out running slower than they can walk.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think it's individual but I'm only 5' 2" and my running speed is usually 5mph or sometimes 5.2mph. I have done c25k outside using endomondo and ran those speeds from the start. I think it's about doing the program properly and if you are struggling to complete the runs, do the week again. I was not fit at all when I started so it is do-able.
  • xythian
    xythian Posts: 4
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for steady state cardio is to move at a pace that would allow you to maintain a broken conversation. If you're too out of breath to respond to the occasional question, go slower. At the beginning of C25K you'll probably go quite slow, but don't worry. Your speed will go up naturally as cardiovascular health improves.
  • mochapygmy
    Options
    Good to know about chest and shoulders as well. Do you run outside or on the treadmill?

Treadmill. I have no sense of timing or pace nor do I carry my phone so I need the timer. Also I live in Chicago and this winter has been wicked.

I've signed up for a couple 5ks end of April and June so starting this month I'm going to add a 4th run on the track and eventually outside. I plan on not having the track run be one of my C25K runs so I'm not going to worry exactly how long I'm running.

It took me a little while to enjoy it but now I do. Going to run now!
  • Goldensun2014
    Options
    Thanks all for the fabulous advice. I can see now my problem was going too fast. Will go slower this next go around. Thank you again.