Where to buy transition jeans?? (Plus sized female)

Options
My current jeans are too big, but I bought the exact same jeans (Levi's) in one size smaller and they're too tight. Go figure. Anyhoo, I don't want to continue to spend $60 on jeans every time I drop a size. Where can I get some decent jeans on the cheap?

Old Navy jeans are never my friend....Any suggestions? Oh and I'm still in plus sizes, so has to be a place that sells plus sized jeans.

Replies

• Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I shop thrift stores. I my area, Goodwill is oretty good. I can get jeans for under 10 dollars, often with tags! I dont feel a bit bad taking them back to donate later either! Lol
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but personally I prefer to buy transition jeans at consignment stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc). I can spend $20-$25 & get 3-5 pairs of jeans / shorts. Since I've dropped 2 sizes in the last 2mo, this is far more reasonable IMO - I'll splurge on nicer new jeans once I reach my goal!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores for sure. I found some great brand name jeans there when I was in between sizes for about 3 bucks a pair.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    you could look at mens jeans,,plain old wranglers are pretty cheap,just get the relaxed fit,,not as sexy but its an option..the levis fit different all the time,you almost need to try on every pair before you buy,and depending again on the cut,maybe the ones your wearing are relaxed and the new pair is more fitted,,on levis you need to pay attention to the number,505,501,521 and so on.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Decent plus sized jeans at thrift stores? I rarely see that. I think a lot of bigger girls like me typically wear our jeans until they can be worn no more.. lol

I suppose though, there are the girls losing weight who get rid of the jeans they wore twice!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Take the larger jeans to a tailor and get them taken in a bit. Shouldn't cost you more than $15.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I got some 'curvy' fit at Walmart for around $20. They're workable. I'll get nicer ones when I reach goal and splurge! :)
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    If Goodwill isn't your thing, try big box stores. I bought my Levi's at Wal-Mart for $15. They've got all these different cuts now.

I'd NEVER spend over $20 for a pair of jeans. It would hurt my soul.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Considering your screen name how about eBay? I wore leggings while losing. They aren't as expensive as jeans and will last through several pounds.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Considering your screen name how about eBay? I wore leggings while losing. They aren't as expensive as jeans and will last through several pounds.

When thinner I had decent luck with ebay. Not as much now.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Agree with thrift stores or Walmart.

Also, my area has online yard sale pages on Facebook, so you can try to search for a group in your local area or start one!
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Not sure what size you need/if junior cuts will work for you, but I've had amazing luck with Delia's - relatively cheap (their high-waisted jeggings are GREAT), surprisingly long-wearing, and since they're junior sizes, they sort of fill the gaps between women's sizes. They only go up to a 19/20, though.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Thrift stores for sure. I found some great brand name jeans there when I was in between sizes for about 3 bucks a pair.

^This! But don't stop at just jeans! Slacks! Tops! Skirts! Shorts! :laugh: I know people look forward to buying a new wardrobe when they reach their fitness goal but there sure are some unbelievable deals to be had! Plus, it's good stewardship!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, definitely! Also, if you like to wear skirts, those are much more forgiving on a figure and can be worn over several sizes depending on the material it's made of.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I was / still am, in the same situation and had been resisting the Thrift Shop route, just gives me the heebie jeebies. Had been sporadically buying jeans at Wal*Mart (all under $20 but still adds up)

Yesterday bit the bullet, went to a recommended Thrift place, got 2 pair of Levi's blue jeans, they were $7 each but yesterday was half off ....got 2 pr of Levi jeans, 501 button fly and a second that had a bit of spandex, for $7. Can't wait till they put out shorts (mine are literally falling off me from last summer).

It's hit & miss I'm told in those places but well worth a shot.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Lee Made to Fit work dress pants at Kohls. They have elastic in the waist that you can pull in and button smaller as you lose weight. They were almost too tight to wear around Thanksgiving and I probably have another 10 lbs to lose before I run out of elastic and need to buy a smaller size. I'm hoping to jump down 2 sizes when I have to buy again :)

They also have jeans.
  • kimberlymarie85
    kimberlymarie85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    definitely should go try Goodwill or a local thrift shop. Just keep looking! I LOVE shopping Goodwill for jeans... but it's very hit and miss. In January I went 2 weeks in a row and found several pairs of jeans that fit now and some shorts that hopefully I'll be into this summer. But I haven't found a THING since then.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a lot of luck at Goodwill - the one in my town is just really small. Sometimes I can find tops & sweaters, but almost never pants or jeans.

I wore the same style Lee Rider jeans from size 22W to 12. I bought my size 10 (wearing now & just starting to get too big) & 8 (in the drawer - still snug but getting closer) in a different style but still the Lee Rider brand. Turns out they've fit my body consistently as I've shrunk and they're $20 at Walmart. I had to buy one pair at K-Mart (Walmart went from 18W to 16, skipping the size in between) and they were a couple dollars more there but still reasonable.

I've donated all the jeans that are too big so hopefully somebody else has benefited from that.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I donate mine to Goodwill but I will never buy from them… In this area they charge 10.00 for jeans, I think that is to much when we are giving it to them for free. I find cheaper in Marshalls or clearance in any of the department stores.
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with thrift stores, but you have to be dedicated to digging, grabbing things in a range of sizes, and okay with putting back 1/2 of what you try on to find the perfect items. I used to be in plus sizes so there must be other people donating things in that size range as well. As I've dropped weight, I donate everything *back* to the store as I head in to find new things. I vastly prefer it to buying new (which I would eventually have to donate anyhow), but sometimes I wish they had a rental option ;). It boggles my mind to think of how much I've spent on clothing in the past two years, and almost none of it was new.