Help me make a grocery list!

Options
So since my family doesn't agree with my choice of healthy eating I've decided that if they can purchase the food they want to buy, why shouldn't I? So when I get paid, I'm going grocery shopping on my own!

What sorts of things should I get? And be specific with brands and everything! Keep in mind that I'm buying in bulk.

I'm obviously buying fruits but I want to get creative beyond that.

Oh, and I want to start drinking green tea (since I heard tea is great for promoting weight loss) so should I get the pre-made lipton bottles or should I get the kind I have to brew myself? Does it matter? Does it have to be green tea? What other teas are good?

As for organic foods, what are your guys opinions and preferences? What is organic anyways? All natural? What are the benefits?

A lot of the time, I'm leaving for school late - what sorts of things can I get to eat in a rush? Protein shakes? Bars?

Is hummus considered a healthy snack food that I can use when I need something to munch on?

Any healthy alternative recipes you want to share, please do so! Like a healthy pizza alternative, healthy snack alternatives, healthy anything alternatives!

I can already hear the sarcastic replies I'm going to get for being so naive; please save your typing energy. I'm only asking so I can make sure I purchase some interesting things!

I need all the help I can get so please share anything! :)

Replies

• Michelle9055
    Michelle9055 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would get the tea you brew yourself since bottles had sugar or artificial sweeteners. Black and white teas are also good. Hummus is healthy. Quest bars are good protein bars and the Kaizen brand protein powders are good. You could also get sweet potatoes, green beans, brown rice, plain oatmeal, chicken breasts, chicken legs, ground chicken or turkey, whole wheat bread, plain greek yogourt, olive oil, Krisda semisweet chocolate chips (these have no sugar or artificial sweeteners), parmesan cheese, milk, eggs, avocados, truvia (stevia), oat bran, popcorn kernals. I also like smoothies made with protein powder or milk with fruit.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Hummus=yay! Just don't eat the whole container. lol. I dip veggies in it and I spread it on my sandwiches.

I don't buy organic, I view it as a waste of money but I'm sure others will disagree. That's a personal choice.

As for leaving for school in a hurry, been there, done that...make up a batch of protein granola bars and you'll have enough for two or three weeks. There are a TON of recipes online, just find one you like. I started making our granola bars at home and I have the entire process down to 10 mins, super easy.
  • JuanitaLynne
    JuanitaLynne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Choose whole foods - no processed, ready-mades! Lots of salad stuff, lean meats, fish, fresh fruits, veggies. Get yourself an awesome clean eating cookbook and get started!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say i know the feel!

I switched to primal/paleo recently in a house of pasta and bread people -- so Ive had to buy my own food/cook my own dinners every night.

On one hand I feel like its a waste of money and time because theres food being paid for/made/wasted as I spend my money on something completely separate you know? But I guess its the best for my personal health and lifestyle.

As for groceries...

PRODUCE --
    Frozen or Fresh Vegetables -- I usually get
    Carrots
    Broccoli Florettes
    Lettuce
    Baby Spinach
    Frozen Peas / Frozen Cauliflower, Broccoli & Carrot Blend

Frozen Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Apples
    Bananas
    Peaches
    Pears

I tend to get whats on sale or in season, though.
    But Im picky on diverse fruits and veg...

MEAT --
    Whatevers on sale..and in bulk
    Ground beef
    Cuts of Beef
    Ground Pork
    Maybe a cut of pork
    Chicken
    I might try some lamb next week

Things that have bone in / skin are usually cheaper.
    Anything thats done for you whether its de-boned, de-skined, peeled, whatever -- if the work is done for you its going to cost more.

FISH
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    or other fish if its on sale.
    I also get a lot of canned tuna.

OTHER --
    LOTS of Eggs
    Almond Milk
    Beef Jerky
    Greek Yogurt
    Whey Protein Powder
    Mixed Nuts
    Shredded Cheese
    Peanutbutter

Im sure theres more but that's off the top of my head.

I dont buy breads/grains or anything unless its things like brown rice sometimes

I've been using www.yummly.com a lot of recipes, mostly because it lets you chose what you want / how many calories / etc
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on brands as I don't think we live in the same country. However, I just did my own grocery shop today (I also buy different foods to my family for the most part). Obviously your shop is going to depend on what's available/affordable and fits in with your diet! But here's what I got. I'm sorting it in my head by the sections of the supermarket in case the groups seem weird...

Broccoli
    Carrots
    Onions
    Zuchinni
    Garlic
    Bell peppers

Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Grapes
    Pineapple
    Pomegranate
    Pears
    Apples
    Bananas

Eggs
    1/2 loaf whole wheat bread
    Potatoes
    Chicken breasts
    Turkey breasts

Rivita crackerbread
    Curry flavour instant noodles
    Mozzarella
    Black tea
    Chicken casserole sauce mix
    Spaghetti carbonara bake mix
    Chocolate chips
    Smooth peanut butter
    6 x 2ltr bottles of water
    1 small bag of popcorn

Cod fish fingers (frozen)
    Chicken fingers (frozen)
    Breaded haddock fillets (frozen)
    Frozen peas
    Frozen sweetcorn
    Wheatabix

4ltrs fat-free milk
    4 Vitalinia yoghurts
    1 block fat-reduced cheddar
    Low fat butter spread
    Spaghetti carbonara stir in sauce
    1 tub of vanilla ice cream

Good luck with your shop! I find grocery shopping really exciting these days.