weight gain = change in body composition?

Options
Since christmas I have been consistently not eating enough. Most days in january I would eat next to nothing and I lost quite a bit of weight (I am currently around 103-4 lbs). I have become slimmer, my thighs and tummy are smaller but i wouldnt say i look unhealthy. Thats the thing, I want my body to stay this shape but i want to start eating more because even now i am not eating enough (900 cals a day, 1200 at a push). Although i eat little i do eat healthy (oatmeal breakfast, fruit and veg, lean meats ect.) But i know i should be eating atleast 1300 (my bmr). I know after restricting calories like i have been doing I am bound to gain weight but (although that worries me slightly) i am more worried about getting a fat tummy and larger thighs again. If i increase my cals and gain weight will my body change drastically? I do dancing once a week for an hour and swim 1-2 times a week for 30 minutes. I also hope to start doinh weight training classes once i join the gym. So will the weight increase make me gain back all i lost causing me to go back to the shape i was (i was slim but my thighs were bigger and my tummy stuck out more) or will the weight go towards muscle ect? Im sorry if this is a dumb question but im really worried. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Last year I was underweight and started strength training 3 days a week, and walking 40 minutes every day in addition to increasing my calorie intake. I gained the weight I wanted quite readily.
    What I learned was that the human body never gains only muscle. Even weight lifters, who are trying to build muscle, gain some fat. To build muscle we humans need an intense workout every second day AND a larger amount of protein than usual. Look on the Muscle and Strength website for great articles on weight gain.
    And, please, love and accept your human body with its rounded shapes. We were meant to have slight tummies and shapely thighs.
  • JuanitaLynne
    JuanitaLynne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Sounds like you need to pair the right menu with strength training.
  • Ezlo
    Ezlo Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 5" 4. Sorry, forgot to mention that in the post