Do YOU count cleaning?

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am torn. I mean.. I'm definitely walking around, and using my arms to scrub or wash dishes or dust.. and I'm bending down and picking things up and pushing the vacuum. It just seems weird to count that as exercise...

I don't count regular cleaning or housework but I do count abnormal, strenuous housework like spring cleaning, a complete floor to ceiling room clean, washing all the windows and that type of thing. For those who don't do a strenuous housework session, it can certainly have your heart rate up! Also, for those with their activity level set to sedentary then extra NEAT aside of normal level can be counted as an incentive to get more active, IMO.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I do if its not a regular activity. Last time I logged cleaning was when the daycare I work at rearranged classroom's one Saturday. (moved preschool upstairs, and 2's, one's and infants downstairs) It was a full 8-10 hour day of moving furniture, going up and down stair carrying boxes/toys/shelving units, sweeping, dusting, vacuuming rugs, etc. Then I only logged it as 5 hours, since we did take breaks and I was trying to be realistic.

I do log stuff like shoveling snow, mowing grass, and raking leaves, because I don't do those activities regularly.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I NEVER count cleaning and other daily activites, no matter how thorough the cleaning is. I only count exercise as any activity that gets my heart rate into the fat loss or cardio zone and keep it there for a sustained period of time. I use a heart rate monitor for exercise, and if you were to put in on while cleaning, you would see that although it IS work, it's not getting your heart rate into the desired target heart rate zone for any sustained period of time, which to me is what exercise is.

I'd just eat the same calories you normally do, and if you burn a few extra calories, then let that go towards your weight loss. Chances are if you log those as calories burned, MFP is going to grossly overestimate what you burned and you'll eat back more calories than you really burned. The values MFP uses for exercise are usually off by quite a lot.

Just use it as a boost in activity for the day, but not enough that you need extra calories to fuel the low intensity. That's just my opinion.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    No, defiantly not. I see people adding things to their diary that are not exercise, but should be thought of as part of your daily routine, part of life . I feel that adding cleaning or yard work would be like adding taking a shower or making dinner- silliness.

I don't see where it is anyone's business what someone adds to their diary as far as activity. Sure it may not be 'exercise' but it is NEAT and it is better than sitting on the couch eating bon bons. Just saying. Besides, they may be logging that activity as a way of becoming more active that will lead to exercising. You don't know what they are going through or why but it's up to them.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    If you clean regularly, this should just be factored into your lifestyle activeness. If you've done something especially physical you don't always do in addition to your normal chores (washing a car, moving furniture to vacumm under, etc) then I'd personally add it. I've read a few articles explaining how much higher the calorie needs of a 1950s housewife was to a typical housewife today because cleaning can definitely be considered highly physical activity. Really interesting!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    ummm.....nope.....I cleaned when I was fat and it never helped me lose weight.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    if I sweat-I count it. That is really the only way I can tell if I burned something......

yep! agreed
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I cleaned & moved **** in & out of my garage for 4 hours yesterday, I counted 3 of those hours as 'cleaning-moderate effort' coz I was sweating & breathing heavy but everyday, normal cleaning, I don't count it.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I only count it if its out of the ordinary stuff like opening the pool, cleaning the garage, stuff like that.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No, I don't count cleaning. I set my activity as moderate/light active and I only log my walks, fitness classes, and gym workouts (cardio and strength training).

I used to log gardening but I don’t anymore. I just keep in mind the extra calories burned and I don’t fret if I go over my calories goals.
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I count it if it makes me sweat.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit to measure my activity.

If I do lots of cleaning, it counts extra steps, and therefore ups my daily expenditure level beyond my default (which is just my BMR + a guesstimate of activity level based on my physical attributes).

however I wouldn't count the activity as exercise and before the fitbit I wouldn't have thought about it at all
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt count cleaning unless its an entire day of the whole house from top to bottom, and working up a sweat also maybe try wearing a hrm (turning it off when you take a break). I think I have counted it like 2 times and that's like a spring cleaning big event or fall cleaning. Not the usual stuff.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Only if I work up a sweat doing it....which I never do.
    So should I count sitting still in 90 degree heat? I promise I can work up a sweat doing it.

Should I never count time spent on the Gazelle unless it's over 75 degrees out? I practically never sweat on that thing, unless the temperature in the room is high enough. . . .

The operative word here was WORK
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Only if I work up a sweat doing it....which I never do.
    So should I count sitting still in 90 degree heat? I promise I can work up a sweat doing it.

Should I never count time spent on the Gazelle unless it's over 75 degrees out? I practically never sweat on that thing, unless the temperature in the room is high enough. . . .

The operative word here was WORK
  • youtubeworkouter
    youtubeworkouter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I found out from scoobyworkshop website what I should be eating according to my goals and activity level and I stopped logging exercise. I workout 4 days week 30 minutes, cook 3 times a day for the family, clean for at least 30 minutes a day, and pick up and chase kids constantly from 8am to 1am. none of which I eat back. save time just go to Scoobyworkshop
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I count anything in excess of my normal routine. Imo, and for the record haters it's MY opinion not necessarily yours. I think cleaning, working, etc and logging it is more to make individuals feel less guilty about not working out. Once again "my opinion" cause it does say next to topic "Do YOU count cleaning?" I don't. :)
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning for only two reasons:

1. I was cleaning stalls at the farm... since there is no actual activity for that and it IS a workout!

2. I'm doing something strenuous like rearranging a ton of stuff... I didn't log it but today I moved my entire bedroom around by myself, including lifting and moving beds/dressers/end tables/etc across the room.

Other than that ... for something like cleaning, I go by the theory that if you aren't sweating, it's not worth logging.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Judging by the OP's ticker, they're here to try and lose weight. So why try and justify sabotaging yourself? I've seen people here ask if they should log standing, I kid you not!!
    You log exercise activities. Doing the cleaning has never and will never be classified as "exercise"
    All you're doing is trying to fool yourself and alleviate the guilt from having those extra cookies. You think that by logging phantom exercise you can have those little extra treats and not go over your calorie allowance for the day.
    Wake up and realise all you're doing is damage to your weight reduction plan. Even if everyone on here said it's ok it's still down to you and your own mental will power to say no.

With weight reduction being the goal here and the way to do that is to eat at a deficit, wouldn't it be prudent to only ever add proper exercise activities and think of anything else as bonus calories towards your deficit? Why run the risk of potentially going over your allowance by logging something you're not sure of?
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't, personally.

I suspect I would overestimate calories, even halving them. If I know I've done a strenuous day, I will maybe not feel as bad about having an extra 100 cals or so, but that's as far as it goes for me.

Also, and this is just for me personally, I know what I decent workout feels like - and I don't feel like cleaning cuts it. Mind you, I do take frequent breaks when cleaning (I find it super boring!)

I just think 'cleaning' covers such a wide range of activities that there isn't a hope in hell that the calorie count is going to be accurate in any way, shape or form without a hrm.