Any thoughts on the new weight watchers program?

Options
I went to the meeting to learn the new ways. Was just curious to see what others think?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    In my opinion waste of money. You can do it. Eat clean and healthy and exercise. I have never been a fan of those places
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love it!

Last week was my first week, unlike some, I have a hard time doing this on my own, so for me....at least for now I will continue going until I have a grip on this eating stuff.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I went to the meeting to learn the new ways. Was just curious to see what others think?

I don't do weight watchers, but from what I've seen...the "new points" system is a much better system for actually learning how to eat healthfully. The fact that a banana and a hundred calorie pack used to both be the same "points" makes no sense to me. It makes a lot more sense to give more freedom to eating whole foods, which in my understanding is the goal of the new system.

my two cents...:flowerforyou:
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My mom does weight watchers and she added a week that she had finished and the total points were about four shy of what she was allowed. She used the new system on the same week and her total points were about six shy of what she was allowed. She did a few other days and in almost all cases, the points ended up being the same percentage. It's her thought that maybe its a way for WW to sell new books, scales, counters, etc and limit the number of trades and reselling at places like ebay and craigslist.

I figure it really doesnt matter. If points work for you then go for it. It calories counting works, go for it. If shakology works, go for it. Just find your mojo. :)
  • Littlebrew
    Options
    I've never went to any of those places, however I do have the cook book and I like many of the receipes. You could try that but, personally I think that learning how to try things on your own helps you stay with it versus doing a program that is structured. I love cooking and eating healthy and it took me some time but I started with little changes, like not purchasing prepackaged meals. I started cooking from scratch and making large batches or several meals at a time. I like buying no calorie sweetener and salt substitues (Also salt )is pretty good. I did at one point do no salt at all for about two weeks, and I started feeling light headed. So, I had to not go with that particular program, after that I decided to just change my eating and started running and free weights. I lost over forty pounds on my own just doing that. I just started to get bored so I tried some at home fitness programs that were o.k but I love variety and this site so far along with my eating and exercise has already helped me lose three lbs, 1 off bust, 2 off hips and 1,1/2 off stomach in one weeks time. I ordered Zumba which I've heard great things about can't wait to start that, but weight loss has to be your passion and determination and those programs are good but sometimes can be costly. If you buy an at home program and you can keep yourself motivated or have someone to workout with you you'll save money and time, because its a one time purchase. Good luck and hope that you discover what will work for you. You can do it just stay positive and know that we are all here for each other. :smile:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I can definitely see where weight watchers is coming from. I'm all for encouraging people to eat healthier rather than just focus on points. But eating a lot of fruits and veggies still adds up calorie-wise, especially depending on what fruits and veg you're eating. It probably won't be an issue for most people, but people on the diet should definitely keep in mind that a banana can still be well over 100 calories or that artichokes on a salad can add 50 cals EASY. And enough small additions can still add up.

Edited to add:

For those not up to date - WW recently restructured to say that all fruits and vegetables are 0 points, thereby encouraging people to eat them more because it won't detract from their daily allotment.
  • damselndistress
    Options
    I was on Weight Watchers for several months and lost 26 pounds. It was very effective for me when I followed the program.

The new program is much better with respect to eating whole foods and getting nutrients from good sources. I do think that it won't be as effective. They've made all fruits and all non-starchy veggies worth 0 points, with the caveat that members should monitor the quantity and "eat only until they're satisfied". Clearly, though, if we all could already do that, we wouldn't need weight watchers. The comeback from the members is along the lines of, "well, I'm not on weight watchers because I ate too much fruit".

Overall, it wasn't fitting in my schedule to make the meetings, and I decided that it wasn't worth the money.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i love the new program. It seems more flexible to me. I love that you are factoring all the other stuff that makes up a calorie. I think the only "tool" you need is the $6 pointsPlus calculator. They are selling them at cost right now for the transition. Everything else is given to you with just having the membership. All the other things like scales, pedometer etc is optional. i love weight watchers. I really love the support from the group. Its not for everyone but I like it