Are Kettlebell workouts classed as Lifting?

Options
Hi,
I've been loitering everyday for the past week or so and am really interested in going the TDEE/BMR/Macro way of life. Plus working out with a little cardio and increased lifting. So would kettlebell workouts be classed as lifting or should I be going for Deadlifts etc?
Thanks.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been loitering everyday for the past week or so and am really interested in going the TDEE/BMR/Macro way of life. Plus working out with a little cardio and increased lifting. So would kettlebell workouts be classed as lifting or should I be going for Deadlifts etc?
    Thanks.

Kettlebells can be programmed for heavier weight and lower reps. They can increase strength, yes. There'll be a bunch of people along who say if you aren't training with a barbell, then you're wasting your time. But you can get stronger with bodyweight, dumbbells, kettlebells, sandbags, barbells, etc. It's down to how you progress them according to some intelligent scheme rather than the tool itself.

However, because of non-easily-adjustable nature of them and the relatively large jumps between weights, then your programming needs to reflect this. This is where ladders and such-like come into play. It's not as straightforward as getting on a progressive barbell lifting program, but then the equipment layout is much cheaper, mobile (can be chucked in the car for business trips, holidays, etc), and the space requirements are minute.

It's all about what fits with your lifestyle, tastes and that you find engaging. Or else you won't stick to it whatever the tool you choose and then you'll get zero results...
  • justdoit1106
    justdoit1106 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks.

Kettlebells can be programmed for heavier weight and lower reps. They can increase strength, yes. There'll be a bunch of people along who say if you aren't training with a barbell, then you're wasting your time. But you can get stronger with bodyweight, dumbbells, kettlebells, sandbags, barbells, etc. It's down to how you progress them according to some intelligent scheme rather than the tool itself.

However, because of non-easily-adjustable nature of them and the relatively large jumps between weights, then your programming needs to reflect this. This is where ladders and such-like come into play. It's not as straightforward as getting on a progressive barbell lifting program, but then the equipment layout is much cheaper, mobile (can be chucked in the car for business trips, holidays, etc), and the space requirements are minute.

It's all about what fits with your lifestyle, tastes and that you find engaging. Or else you won't stick to it whatever the tool you choose and then you'll get zero results...

Thank you!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Some of the biggest and baddest lifters in the world train with kettlebells. Any person with half a brain would not disregard an element of training because they don't like the way the equipment looks. Most of the strongmen from westside barbell train with kettlebells aswell as barbells and bands and all kinds of neat and effective stuff. You know why ? Cause they are smart and if something works they keep it in their arsenal. I don't think anybody is gonna tell them they aren't training for real. Anyone who wants to live that is. Do what appeals to you, and screw anybody that tells you different.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options

The above is one of the best, unbiased, most thoughtful, incisive and helpful posts I have ever seen here. Sometimes as post doesn't need a reply other than one to agree with it.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

The above is one of the best, unbiased, most thoughtful, incisive and helpful posts I have ever seen here. Sometimes as post doesn't need a reply other than one to agree with it.

Seconded. Refreshing to see.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Seconded. Refreshing to see.

Thanks guys! I'm misting up...