increasing running time

Options
I'm have been running at a 6-6.5mph pass for 30 minutes for the pass 3 days. How long should I wait before increasing my time to 35 minutes?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you last increased your time? It's recommended not to increase your mileage by more than 10% per week, and to run at that new mileage for at least 3 weeks before increasing again. 6 miles per hour for 30 minutes is 3 miles, so if you're running 3 days a week, your weekly mileage is 9. Your proposed new weekly mileage is 10.5. That is a little bit more than 10%, but it sounds pretty reasonable. If you've been running 9 miles a week for a few weeks and everything seems good, there's no reason not to try it.
  • sirmeowsalot123
    Options
    Wow, that was hard to follow :laugh:.
    I run 6-7 days a week
    at a 6-7mph
    for 30 minutes
    I increased my running time I think 3-4 days ago from 25-30.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was hard to follow :laugh:.
    I run 6-7 days a week
    at a 6-7mph
    for 30 minutes
    I increased my running time I think 3-4 days ago from 25-30.

Why do you run so many days a week? You may find you can run better if you take days off (I personally never run two days in a row for fear of injury). You can probably increase .5-1 mile per week.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    Too much, too soon is a common cause of injuries. You might want to give it a few weeks before you add more miles.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Add 0.5-1.0 miles to your daily runs, or I guess 5-10 min. I'd say 0.5 until you are up to 3-4mi. Up it every 3 weeks or so. Bottom line is to err on the side of conservative gains when it comes to running. And try speaking in pace, i.e., 10:00mi/min because math is hard :)
  • sirmeowsalot123
    Options
    I've been running for a long time now and have taken 4 months to get where I am now. I love to run and I'm using an elliptical so its lose of a chance for injury.
    And thank you for the help. I'll and on by 0.5 tomorrow
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    I think most of the caution in adding miles is because your bones and joints need time to adapt to the stress of impact. Running on an elliptical machine isn't so high-impact. It's all a matter of your cardiovascular fitness. I'd say you should feel free to add as many miles as frequently as you like.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a long time now and have taken 4 months to get where I am now. I love to run and I'm using an elliptical so its lose of a chance for injury.
    And thank you for the help. I'll and on by 0.5 tomorrow

Running is the only way to get better at running. Elliptical isn't going to hurt, but it won't help either.