Hello everyone! This beginner needs advice!

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Tia and I am 22 years old. In middle school, I was chubby, but I stopped drinking soda and started eating smaller portions and I dropped from 160 lbs to 125. I stayed active and stayed outside through summer and kept the weight off for quite some time, after gaining to 135. Unfortunately, since summer of 2012 I've gained 50 lbs. Most of it has to do with stress, fast food, soda, and a lazy lifestyle. I want to be healthy, and I want to get back into shape. I don't care about being stick skinny or a size, five, I just want to be healthy and feel good about myself again. I've tried doing this alone over the past year with no success, so it's obvious to me that I need to have a support group. I have a friend that wants to go to the gym with me, but I am in absolutely no shape to go to the gym. Not shape as in I'm afraid for people to see me, but extremely small things tire me so I feel that going to a gym would be pointless(until I gain some stamina from home exercise). None of my friends exercise regularly, or at all really, so I have no one to ask for advice. I just want to know if this makes sense or if I should just buck up and get a membership. Also, I'm getting married in June, and the dress I want will not be very flattering on my current shape. So! I need to start now, and I need to start strong. I work three 12 hour shifts a week from 8 pm to 8:30 am Monday-Wednesday, so I can't really do a lot those days other than sleep, get ready, and cook. If anyone has any advice or if anyone wants to be my accountability buddy, please do not hesitate! I hope you all are having a good day!

Replies

• louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome . I suggest start by walking, drag a friend along and have a gossip and you don't even realise how long you have been walking or put some headphones in and walk to the beat. That's what I did... Built up my stamina by walking, then I stopped using my exercise machine as a coat hanger and started using it to exercise haha 3 minutes on it killed me at first but i increased my time each day. Then I joined a gym class ... Then another ... Then added a DVD. Its all about slowly building up to things .. Pushing yourself a little further each time and setting mini goals as you go along :) feel free to add
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion about being very tired: check that you're eating real food. I noticed a big difference in my energy level once I reduced sugar and started eating more vegetables, lean protein, whole grains.
    And as louisegibbs85 says, start slow, even just walking to the corner and back.

Part of energy is self-confidence, I've found. Once you realize you can do a little bit, and then a little more, you may find you are capable of more than you think. :smile:
  • healthyismyskinny
    healthyismyskinny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice louisegibbs85! I thought walking would be a great way to start as well, which is one of the main reasons I went on and purchased my puppy now instead of waiting until I move. I was walking every day with her, but it got super cold again and out of fear of getting my mother sick I stopped going out in the cold as much. I'll just have to bundle up and take lots of vitamin C it seems, because walking really seems like a good way to start building a habit of a healthy life style. I want to congratulate you on your progress! Since you've done so well you obviously know what you're talking about, so I'll take every word and run with it :D.

CynthiaT60, last week I started changing around my diet. I went out and purchased a TON of fruit and a smoothie maker. Today my fiance and I are going to venture out for healthy dinner options, as well as other healthy snacks. Almost a year ago I ran into a lot of financial trouble and ended up having to live on Ramen and free hot pockets from a friend who worked at Nestle and I started feeling horrible. As you suggested, the large amount of processed food made me want to sleep all day, every day. Some days I would sleep 10 hours or more. One of my main things is finding recipes that don't require 45 minutes of prep and 50 minutes of cooking. I don't really have time for that when I work, and when I don't work I have to fight to try and get my fiance to eat something that's not fried or loaded with sodium. And I totally agree that most of your energy will come from confidence. I'll remember that for sure tomorrow :D.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! :) It's tough to exercise when you have no energy...I find small steps are really helpful. Tell yourself you're going to walk for five minutes. Five minutes is nothing. You can do almost anything for five minutes! Stamina comes by practice...Five minutes, a few times a day, and before you know it you'll feel better. I also hate the cold, and in the winter, my walking is completely inside my house.

As the other person said - make sure you're eating good food - if your diet is full of carbs, they will drain you of energy. You need the nutrients in veggies and protein and fat to have more sustainable energy . Carbs are not the devil, but they certainly aren't your best friend either!

If there is a gym close by that has a pool, that is a GREAT way to exercise...walking in the pool adds resistance, and it's not as hard for a lot of people. And you can work your way out of the pool and on to other things as you get stronger.

A lot of this is about finding things that you CAN do and WILL do.

Good luck! :)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    CynthiaT60, last week I started changing around my diet. I went out and purchased a TON of fruit and a smoothie maker. Today my fiance and I are going to venture out for healthy dinner options, as well as other healthy snacks. Almost a year ago I ran into a lot of financial trouble and ended up having to live on Ramen and free hot pockets from a friend who worked at Nestle and I started feeling horrible. As you suggested, the large amount of processed food made me want to sleep all day, every day. Some days I would sleep 10 hours or more. One of my main things is finding recipes that don't require 45 minutes of prep and 50 minutes of cooking. I don't really have time for that when I work, and when I don't work I have to fight to try and get my fiance to eat something that's not fried or loaded with sodium. And I totally agree that most of your energy will come from confidence. I'll remember that for sure tomorrow :D.
    Oh yeah, ramen, used to eat a lot of that s*** myself. I loved it, actually. :smile:
    Hope your fiancé will support you in this.
    Good luck and keep us posted! :flowerforyou:
  • FemmeFire
    FemmeFire Posts: 49
    Options
    Feel free to add me Tia.
    As a shift worker, I can totally relate!
    You can also follow my FB page: facebook.com/femmefire as I post everyday.
    Renee
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Tia- a great way to eat that does not require lots of time is using a slow cooker. You can make some really awesome meals in them. If you are on FB check out Crock Pot Girl and Crock Pot Ladies. There are some really healthy and tasty recipes on there. They also have links to their websites.

Prep wise - try to do as much as possible on the weekends or other non work day. I find it easiest to do on the same day/day after I grocery shop. You can decide on your recipes/meals for the week and prep your ingredients. Or make a few meals that you will eat and freeze what you wont need until the later part of the week. This really makes a huge difference.
  • healthyismyskinny
    healthyismyskinny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the lovely advice!
  • seglass1
    seglass1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi

I joined weight watchers, a really fun group and the weigh in each week really gives you accountability.
    I am new to Colorado so have no friends and it's a great support plus we all share tips on healthy eating.
    1) Soup- buy low sodium and then as it is warming in the pan throw in any frozen veg to bulk up - results in huge low cal meal.
    2) Salads - Again go big - piles of lettuce, mini tomatoes, grated carrots, chopped celery, cucumber, bell peppers then top with grilled chicken or salmon and a low cal dressing. Huge and satisfying.
    3) Keep healthy snacks in the car, high protein muslei bars and little packs of almonds and 'La Croix' fizzy flavoured water in case of emergencies.
    While I am trying to loose weight we rarely eat out and that saves money too! But if i do I stick to salads or lean portein and veg.
    I have lost 20 lbs but have another 10lbs to go and the thinner you get the harder it gets sadly so now i have to really step up the exercise...
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • seglass1
    seglass1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi

I joined weight watchers, a really fun group and the weigh in each week really gives you accountability.
    I am new to Colorado so have no friends and it's a great support plus we all share tips on healthy eating.
    1) Soup- buy low sodium and then as it is warming in the pan throw in any frozen veg to bulk up - results in huge low cal meal.
    2) Salads - Again go big - piles of lettuce, mini tomatoes, grated carrots, chopped celery, cucumber, bell peppers then top with grilled chicken or salmon and a low cal dressing. Huge and satisfying.
    3) Keep healthy snacks in the car, high protein muslei bars and little packs of almonds and 'La Croix' fizzy flavoured water in case of emergencies.
    While I am trying to loose weight we rarely eat out and that saves money too! But if i do I stick to salads or lean portein and veg.
    I have lost 20 lbs but have another 10lbs to go and the thinner you get the harder it gets sadly so now i have to really step up the exercise...
    Good luck:flowerforyou: