New to strength training!

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just a comment to some of the posters who are saying you need to get heavier and heavier weights or you won't keep getting stronger. That's a bit oversimplified and not quite accurate. You should still build strength as long as you are lifting. If you find your exercises are getting too easy and don't want to buy new weights, you can change the exercises around a bit to make them more difficult. It's not just how much you lift, it's how you lift it.

To give you a real world example... I can curl 40 lbs like it's nothing... yet on another exercise, a mere 10lbs is plenty. Try this if you don't believe me: while standing, hold 10lb weights with a reverse grip (palms facing behind you). Keeping your arms perfectly straight, lift the weight over your head 10 reps, 3 standard sets. :)
    That's a truly horrible example. Those two things don't even use the same muscles.

Of course those two exercises don't use the same muscles -- that's the point. As I said, it's not just how much you lift, it's how you lift it. You can still exercise muscle groups with relatively small weights, even if you press, curl, etc. much larger weights for other exercises.

But, if you insist on an example that uses the same muscle group, here you go: so 100lb squats is easy for you now? try 1-legged squats with 10lbs. :)
    My limiting factor on squats is my low back, which fails long before my legs. Doing 10 pound one-legged squats goes from lifting 280 lbs with my back, to lifting nothing at all with my back. I'm not sure how this amounts to progression.

(Or how I'm supposed to lift 280 lbs with my back when I only weigh 180.)
  • Dboggs166
    Dboggs166 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a barbell and some plates. I started with a program called Stronglifts 5x5. It is great for beginners and is easy to learn. There is a group on MFP just for women where you can get a lot of great information to get you started. You don't need a bench either. I don't have one.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    So I want to start lifting weights! No gym membership so just at my house. I still have a lot of fat to lose, but I feel like I have some decent muscle hiding underneath (mostly my legs and butt) However...I have NO idea where to start! I only have 8lb weights (I know I know...very light!) Researching this is a bit overwhelming...do I get a kettleball? heavier weights? olympic bar? Not sure where to start...any help is greatly appreciated!! :)

Actually, I think you should start with two 5lb dumbbell weights and two 5lb ankle weights. That's really all you need for the first month or so. After that, you can progress up to the 8lb weights. I would also get a balance ball (the big one - the one that you can blow up to 72" in diameter). If you do some of the exercises while sitting on the ball, you'll also be working your core (e.g., abs).

I saw my personal trainer today for the first time. Here's the program he gave me. You can google the names of each exercise to see how to do them.

Dumbbell Weights (while sitting on a balance ball, when appropriate): 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions for each exercise
    1. Biceps hammer curl
    2. Overhead triceps extensions
    3. Shoulder press (both arms at the same time or alternating)
    4. Dumbbell chest press (while on balance ball)
    5. Bent over row
    6. Dumbbell lateral raise
    7. Dumbbell forward raise
    8. Dumbbell posterior raise
    9. Dumbbell lunge
    10. Shoulder shrugs
    11. Calf raises
    12. Body squats

Ankle Weight Exercises: 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions
    13. Hip flexion
    14. Hip extensions
    15. Hip addiction
    16. Hip abduction
    17. Weighted double leg raise

Hope that helps!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think you should start with two 5lb dumbbell weights and two 5lb ankle weights. That's really all you need for the first month or so. After that, you can progress up to the 8lb weights. I would also get a balance ball (the big one - the one that you can blow up to 72" in diameter). If you do some of the exercises while sitting on the ball, you'll also be working your core (e.g., abs).
    Oh dear - with a program like 'starting strength' or 'strong lifts' you progress your weight EACH SESSION by an EXTRA 5lb.
    For a lot of things 5lb weights is basically just making cardio slightly harder..
    Exercise balls are largely ridiculed for anything but getting better at balancing on an exercise ball, I'm afraid.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Oh dear - with a program like 'starting strength' or 'strong lifts' you progress your weight EACH SESSION by an EXTRA 5lb.
    For a lot of things 5lb weights is basically just making cardio slightly harder..
    Exercise balls are largely ridiculed for anything but getting better at balancing on an exercise ball, I'm afraid.

If one is body building, then I would agree that increasing weight for each session is necessary.
    If one is body building, then I would agree that using a balance ball would be useless.

However, although all body builders are strength trainers, not all people who strength train want to be body builders. Those who begin strength training for the purpose of improving overall health, do not need to increase weight for each session in order for them to achieve better overall health since their goal isn't to have bulging muscles. If I increased the weight by 5lbs each session, I would be up to 200lb weights by now and would have bigger muscles than my husband. But that is not my goal.

A balance ball is exactly what its name implies - it's a ball used for balance. Developing good balance is important for overall health, especially for people who do strength training as part of a physical therapy program, for people who have underused certain muscles necessary for good balance, for people who want a more varied level of intensity for core muscles at the same time they're exercising the target muscles, or for people who have been literally sitting on their *kitten* for the last ten years and have absolutely no muscle tone whatsoever.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Actually an exercise ball is a great addition for ab workouts... and yes, it is good for bodybuilders too. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/equipment/id/7/equipment/exercise-ball
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For the most bang for your buck, you'd be looking at heavy lifting with barbells (or dumbbells if you don't have access to barbells).

I highly suggest reading Starting Strength, Stronglifts, AllPros and NROL. Pick one of the routines and stick with it for a few months.

Other forms of strength/resistance training you could also look into are TRX Supsension and Sandbags.

If you don't have access to equipment, look into bodyweight routines from Convict Conditioning, NerdFitness, or/and You Are Your Own Gym.

Links to the above programs and some additional info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics

Stronglifts: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    (For Stronglifts, please be sure to get the Free PDF on this and read through it, not just the summary)

NerdFitness: http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/#resources-apps

AllPros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I am kind of in a different boat because I am in recovery for BED and bulimia but I was never underweight. I was prescribed exercise as part of my treatment plan (to relieve stress and make me healthier overall). I also got into yoga, and that was very calming and not overly stressful on my body. If you could, check with your team and see if they would let you do yoga. Lots of DVDs and free youtube vids out there. It was great for me.:smile: Congrats on your hard work and best wishes for a healthy and happy future.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

If one is body building, then I would agree that increasing weight for each session is necessary.
    If one is body building, then I would agree that using a balance ball would be useless.

However, although all body builders are strength trainers, not all people who strength train want to be body builders. Those who begin strength training for the purpose of improving overall health, do not need to increase weight for each session in order for them to achieve better overall health since their goal isn't to have bulging muscles. If I increased the weight by 5lbs each session, I would be up to 200lb weights by now and would have bigger muscles than my husband. But that is not my goal.

A balance ball is exactly what its name implies - it's a ball used for balance. Developing good balance is important for overall health, especially for people who do strength training as part of a physical therapy program, for people who have underused certain muscles necessary for good balance, for people who want a more varied level of intensity for core muscles at the same time they're exercising the target muscles, or for people who have been literally sitting on their *kitten* for the last ten years and have absolutely no muscle tone whatsoever.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am a strength athlete, not a bodybuilder and I increase my weight progressively and so do all of the people I train with.

Nothing against balance balls...they're cool, too.
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This is so not correct.

Strength =/= bulging muscles. Also, I squat 275lb and deadlift 325lb - I do not have bulging muscles.

In order to maintain (or gain) muscle mass and to improve strength you need to progressively load. Progressive loading means making it harder - i.e. increasing the stimulus. This can be done most easily by adding more weight that you lift. You can also vary the way you do an exercise. For example, going from modified push ups (on your knees) to 'standard' push ups to elevated feet push ups.

OP: look into You are Your Own Gym or Body For You (mentioned earlier) if you cannot get to a gym and do not have the space/resources for much equipment.
  • justdoit1106
    justdoit1106 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Following, great info!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    In for the information.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahford09
    sarahford09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information and links. I'm definitely gonna check these out
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Ok.. my $.02.

If you are beginning, the worst you can do is over-train, get extremely sore, then have to slow it down to recover.

If this is not you, then it doesn't apply... but I have seen more than 1 newbie hit the gym with no real idea what to do and find themselves laid up for a week because they didn't give their body time to adapt to the new stimulus.

I would suggest, at least in the interim, looking at resistance bands. They don't take up much room, you can utilize a doorway as the anchor, and you can set the level of resistance based on the band you use.. and the resistance INCREASES as you pull further away.. (which is contrary to typical weights/dumbell/kettlebells).

Consider what you want to achieve, educate yourself and you can get there.
  • HappyTravels
    HappyTravels Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • drew0013
    drew0013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Some good points in here. With you just starting out body weight workouts will be very beneficial, but like any thing else you have to put in the work to get the results. You will get sore but don't let that make you skip a workout the fastest way to get over it is to workout more. If you do try cross fit like I seen somebody say, don't be that person with horrible form cause you will hurt yourself. Any way once you get a good routine going it's fun and you look forward to working out.
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi--I just stumbled onto this thread, but wanted to thank everyone that replied to the original post. I'm just getting started too and there is some great info here!