Stubborn belly bulge

Options
So, I've noticed as I've gotten older (I'm now 41), the weight I've put on in my belly is much different than when I was younger and heavy. When I was in my 20's, I was heavy, but I didn't have one particular spot -- I was pretty proportionate. I was my thinnest in my early 30's, after having my last child. I'd like to go back there, but I'm having my doubts. Now, my weight is significantly carried in my belly, and it's not just a lower pooch like many women have after children. I think I look pregnant -- the belly starts under my bosom, curving outward and carries all the way down to include my lower belly. Even as I lose weight, this doesn't seem to change or shift. I'm really hoping this isn't something genetic just showing up now that I'm older. My maternal grandmother always had a lower pooch, but my paternal grandmother had a round belly all over, just as I'm describing. However, she was overweight. I was hoping as I lose weight this would go away. Anyway, just wondering how many others are dealing with this and what things have helped. I know everyone's body is different, so different things work for different people. For now, I've been sticking with a mainly "clean" diet (no processed foods, only whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean proteins, etc); I watch my sodium intake; I exercise 5-6 days a week (currently T25 with maybe an extra cardio session at the gym on the weekend); and I'm REALLY, REALLY trying to practice patience.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ok....i dont remember what it was called, but this is called something. Something to do with muscles being torn?
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    diastitis recti. the abs are not up next to each other. (i probably spelled it wrong though) i have it too. i hate looking pregnant. it's why men get beer bellies and look pregnant too. there are some specific exercises that are supposed to help.
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it's nothing like that. I was in my best shape AFTER I had my last child. My tummy was relatively flat then. I've always had a little lower pooch (genetic), but this new "bulge" is driving me crazy.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Is it mushy and soft like fat or hard and taught? I know the belly is usually very stubborn and the last bit to go. I am no expert but it seems to me that if it is squishy then it's simply stubborn fat, but if it's taught then perhaps it could be something else, like what the other posters mentioned. Maybe try switching up ab routines? Perhaps focus on your obliques for a bit. They will support your stomach without creating bulk in the front.
  • Lowestsalary
    Options
    Sounds like your on the right path. Abs start in the kitchen. So by you eating clean and keeping to your routine you should see that belly start to shed itself off. Just stay strong and maintain your patience.
  • cdfh60
    cdfh60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love that. "Abs start in the kitchen". That's one to put on the fridge door!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It could be because the ratio of estrogen to male hormones changes for women in middle age (I'm 43). It's the testosterone in middle-aged women that can start causing a male fat storage pattern and even those chin hairs! That's probably why women with PCOS have a similar fat distribution, but I haven't read any studies on that (it just makes sense). There are studies on the general middle-age fat distribution change.

If it affects you badly, you could try spearmint tea. It was found to work for female hirsutism due to too much testosterone in one study. Saw palmetto might work, too, but the tea is something people drink anyway, so I'd start there, myself.

I do have PCOS and am middle-aged myself, but I also have high estrogen (like too high). I try not to cut my testosterone so I can build muscle more easily, lol. But I find that my middle is a bigger problem than it used to be too, yeah! You could build muscle easier if this is what it is, so you might just take up lifting :) That works, too.