Couch to 5k

Options
Started this at the beginning of the week. Successfully completed week one, however it almost kills me. I've never been good at running and I'm not that fit... But I want to learn to run so badly. Should I push myself to start week two and how far should I push myself? When I run my heart rate is getting up to around 185bpm. I get a really bad stitch and for one of the three days I had to pause half way and have an extra minutes break as I was feeling lightheaded.

I'm only 22, 5'3 and weigh 144 pounds. Should I really be this out of breath?? Any recommendations/tips etc welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You can always repeat a week if you want, but it might be easier to just consciously try to go slower when you are running.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd concur with just repeating week one till you feel comfortable to move on. Don't want to push too hard too early.
  • sharinganxphunk
    sharinganxphunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I was doing couch to 5k if I found a week particularly difficult, to the point I was almost collapsing after the run, I would repeat the week. I'd definitely recommend repeating a week if you feel you have to.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would agree with all the others. Repeat the week if you need to. It took me about three weeks before I moved on to week number 2.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can repet weeks, also, slow down, you may be trying to go too fast
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yes- repeat! And go slower. Much slower!! It's normal to feel out of breath, and I felt that breathing was hard for basically the entire program. But several months later, my legs now get tired before my lungs do most of the time. You are putting a fair amount of work into running, and your heart and lungs need time to "train" for the increased capacity you are asking of them and the demands of C25K. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Gingernut1949
    Gingernut1949 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might be simply trying to run too fast. I didn't start running until last January, having hated it at school, and I was 63. I found the seventh and eighth 60 second runs impossible in the first run but the second and third I managed all of them. Lads walking would pass me!
    I progressed through the weeks without repeating any and was amazed when I graduated nine weeks later. I still run three times a week, alternating the three C25K+ podcasts as I like to have the beat to run to. I can listen to my own music any other time.
    :wink:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in repeating a week!

During the first few weeks if you're moving any faster than a gentle trot in your intervals, slow down. Slow and steady really does win the race in C25K... I've done the programme twice, once on a treadmill and once outside.
  • chusbands331
    chusbands331 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you check with your doctor before you start any exercise program...:smile:
  • kat_williams
    kat_williams Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you may be right about too fast.. I've tried it outdoors once before and found I made too many excuses (e.g. its raining, its cold, its dark etc. etc.) so this time I'm trying on the treadmill. I've found myself more likely to actually do it, which is great (no excuses so far!) but when Im walking I'm going 3.5mph and running I'm doing 7mph until the last 2 runs when I tend to bring it down to 6.5mph. I also do my 5 min warm up as 3 mins on full incline and 2 mins flat. Obviously running with no incline.. Could this be causing me more problems too? I mainly do it as I want to get the calorie rate a bit higher for each exercise, as its pretty low. With the 3 mins incline at the beginning and at the end I'm burning around 200 calories.
  • sheltiecolor
    Options
    I am on Week 7 of C25K. I had to repeat day 1 about 4 times before I was able to do it successfully. I had really poor ventilation skills. Since then I have been able to move along with the program without repeating days. But, I always tell myself I will repeat a day if I cannot successfully complete it. My recommendation would be do day 1 until you can do it without feeling so tired. Then start moving forward. The program intensifies quickly around week 4 or 5. Take the time now to make sure you are on the right track. I am 26, 5 feet 6 inches and weighing 198 pounds. April 2013 I was almost 300 pounds. This is my first running experience ever, and I am loving it. I am doing my first 5K race in April and am so excited. I am also hoping to roll into the 10K app once I am succesful at running 5K. Keep going, listen to your body, and don't be afraid to repeat a day. Most days get more difficult as the week goes on, so rather than waiting until the end of the week, just repeat the day you felt was unsuccessful, and then continue moving forward. Rest days are important, too. Your body has to repair itself and start the process of changing to support you through your bigger runs.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My opinion about C25K is that it is okay to repeat a week if you need to, but don't feel like you HAVE to have mastered a week before you move on. If you completed week 1, go ahead and try week 2. Worst case, you will might need to repeat week 2.

As for it feeling so hard, my first rule of C25K is SLOW DOWN. If the program ever seems too hard - slow down some more.

C25K isn't about speed, it is about building endurance.

Great job on finishing week 1... good luck on week 2.

Ted
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k was the best thing I ever did! Stick with it! I didn't start running until 5 years ago when I was 41 yrs old! I have since run 3 half marathons and countless 5ks! If I can do it, ANYONE can! I even finally got my husband running again. He is 50 and always complained about bad knees. He is training for his first 1/2 now. I know that seems daunting but if you had told me when I was starting the C25k program that I would get that far, I wouldn't have believed it. Just keep going. DONT QUIT. It doesn't matter how fast you go or even if you have to walk a little. And don't forget to STRETCH well. It's important! Good luck!
  • merpmerp95
    Options
    I started Couch to 10k (the first half of it is the same as c25k basically) and I struggled a lot in the beginning. I'm now at week 8 and haven't redone any of the weeks. My recommendation is to try going slower and see if that helps. I'm also 5'3'' and my legs are really short (lol) so I usually jog at 4.2mph and walk at 3.0-3.3mph. I've heard from people and also think myself that you should worry about endurance and not speed/distance until you can comfortably run the 30 minutes. However, it's totally okay to redo a week to get better at it. Just listen to your body and when you know you're done, stop doing it. There's a difference between pushing through a workout and straining yourself too much. Best of luck :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I definitely think 7 mph is too fast if you are just a beginning runner, especially if it is causing you to get light headed. I would recommend trying 6 mph (a pace of 10:00 per mile) for your run intervals to start, and try to keep your HR under 160. Your speed will increase as you get used to running. When I started running, I found that 6 mph was doable, then it became "too slow" and my "I can run all day at this speed" has increased to about 6.7 MPH (9 minute mile).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    After reading through the thread, I don't think you need to repeat a week. You need to slow down. The running should be done at a pace where you could easily hold a conversation if someone was running next to you. If you think you can go slower, then go slower. The whole point right now is setting up a running base...speed comes later after time on your feet.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the others. Slow way down, C25K trains you to run for a given amount of time, not speed yet. I think that's your answer, if not definitely repeat the week and move on when ready. Whatever you do, don't quit. It's a great program and you'll see improvements soon. Good luck!
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just repeat the weeks until you feel comfortable doing each one. And don't try to run too fast.

You should not be getting a 'stitch' on week 1. And your heart should not be racing like that at your age. I don't have a heart rate like that when I run and I'm 67. Slow down, who are you competing against? No-one!

You can worry about speed when you've done week 9 a few times. For now it's about getting your body used to moving.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    After reading through the thread, I don't think you need to repeat a week. You need to slow down. The running should be done at a pace where you could easily hold a conversation if someone was running next to you. If you think you can go slower, then go slower. The whole point right now is setting up a running base...speed comes later after time on your feet.

This.
    It sounds as if you are running too fast. Slow down. Speed will come on its own, in time. It won't happen during C25K, which is designed to build your stamina and endurance, not speed.
    You can do this if you take it slow.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall at some point that the program stated that you be used to walking briskly 3 times a week for 3 miles before starting the c25K - maybe do a few weeks of 30 mins of brisk walking and try again. Also run gently and slowly - worry about speed later