Looking for Simple to make Dinner ideas

Anyone have some lunch ideas around 500 cals?
I would really appreciate the help I am new and struggling with what to eat.

Thanks!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I don't know what foods you like and what's available in your area, but if you post some typical meals that you eat, i might have some ideas.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Really depends on your food preferences. 500 calories is basically just any recipe ever served in a small portion with a side of vegetables and perhaps a small side of carbs. Simple meals can be marinated lean meat put in the grill and served with steamed vegetables (or vegetables with soy sauce or lots of salt if you find them bland) and pasta/potatoes/any carb you like. The marinade you choose is up to you: Stores have millions of different flavourings if not ideas for flavourings.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    I made chili the other night - I had a spaghetti squash so I pre-cooked it in the oven for about 25 mins - filled the centre with a cup of chili in each half added 40g of shredded cheese to each half - 1 serving 1/4 of the squash was less than 300 cals and very tasty
  • clanmcfleming
    clanmcfleming Posts: 37 Member
    Feel free to scan my diary. I like to home cook most meals. Not so helpful if you are eating out though! 500 cals is quite a lot to play with. There are also loads of recipe ideas in the food/nutrition threads.
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    sounds yummy
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    500 calories is a good amount to work with. Of course, people have differing opinions on boxed/frozen dinners, but if you stick with some healthier ones, I think a great meal is a frozen dinner (especially one with a bit of sauce since they usually give you too much) with a whole bag of fresh steamed veggies--the kind you can just steam in the microwave in the bag. I usually microwave the veggies more than I would normally. (I like them softer if I'm not loading up on butter!) Then I let them sit in the bag and steam a bit more while I microwave the frozen meal. Put them together, and voila! You have a huge volume of food for not a lot of calories (usually under 400). If I want to add fat for my macros, I would just add some health oil to the veggies.

For the frozen dinners, I like Kashi, Amy's, and a few Lean Cuisines.
  • That is an awesome suggestion! Thanks!
    I have lives on salad this last week and even though I like salad I know it will not be long before I hate it if I keep eating it everyday :) Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Thanks! I will do that :)
  • Spaghetti squash? Sounds interesting....
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Spaghetti squash is awesome! You just bake it (or microwave it up to you) and scrape out the inside with a fork. It comes out like spaghetti noodles.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Soups and cornbread
    Protein, veggies and rice

I'm a big fan of my crockpot, so a typical meal for me will be so,me crock potted chicken, some microwave brown rice and a bunch of broccoli
  • RMZ2014
    RMZ2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Turkey Burger
    1/4 pd lean ground turkey
    2 tbs Salsa
    2 tbs Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Bake at 350 for 25-28 minutes. Can freeze them either uncooked to cook quickly or bake and cook again in microwave. 192 calories. Add an English Muffin and some Veggies. Still won't be 500 calories, but you can add yogurt, salad, what ever you like.
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    That is an awesome suggestion! Thanks!
    I have lives on salad this last week and even though I like salad I know it will not be long before I hate it if I keep eating it everyday :) Feel free to add me as a friend.

You should look into the healthy choice steamers. I take them to work with me almost every day for lunch. They have a lot to chose from and they are super yummy in my opinion. Calorie range on them is 200-350 depending on which meal you pick out. 4 minutes in the microwave and you're ready to eat. =)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Check out the photo album of this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet

The recipes are with pictures, most step by step. All healthy and delicious.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    I made chili the other night - I had a spaghetti squash so I pre-cooked it in the oven for about 25 mins - filled the centre with a cup of chili in each half added 40g of shredded cheese to each half - 1 serving 1/4 of the squash was less than 300 cals and very tasty

I forgot to say I put it back in the oven for 15-20 minutes to melt the cheese :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    I make a vegetarian chili out of a can of chili beans, a jar of salsa, some water, and a cup of dry lentils. Top it with sour cream and cheese and cilantro and make a cheese quesadilla on the side and you STILL have room for dessert! (Or a beer :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Grill or bake chicken, pork tenderloin, or lean beef.

Steam, roast or grill broccoli, asparagus, green beans, butternut, acorn or banana squash, or other veggie you like.

Baked potato, sweet potato, roasted potatoes, brown rice/pilaf (white rice is fine too!), try some quinoa, cous cous, etc.

Done! :bigsmile: Make extra meat to use at lunch the next day - mix black or pinto beans, the meat, some plain Greek yogurt, avocado, salsa, tomatoes, rice if ya got it - burrito bowl - yum!
  • Thanks everyone! All awesome ideas. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • jammallnyte
    jammallnyte Posts: 26 Member
    Depending on the type of meals you are looking for (Low-fat, Low Carb. etc) I would suggest E-Meals. My family has used it for years and the past few months have switched to the low-bard (worst meal so far was around 20 carbs total) but most are lower. Since doing that and starting to exercise I have (as of today) lost 43.5 pounds. I am a big fan and it also helps come up with meals ideas and creates a shopping list.

http://emeals.com/